D Day June 6th 1944.

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,109 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• On this day 61 years ago Allied Forces landed in Nazi Europe. Thousands of young men from many parts of the world were to give their lives for the freedom which we enjoy today. Some will say what does a Irishman know about it. But many of my country men died Fighting on the British side in World War 2. I went to my chapel this morning said a prayer as well as lighting a couple of candles in thanks for their sacrifice. May they all rest in peace.

So tonight I will be watching THE LONGEST DAY. Starring John Wayne.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• It is a day of remembrance and quiet reflection. Sometimes we overlook why we have the freedoms that we have today which are often taken for granted.
    Cheers - Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• It is amazing and truely incredible that such an event ever took place, I think the Longest day is a fitting although insignifcant tribute to these brave people.

Emmanuel you are 100% correct many many people from Northern Ireland died during two world wars and its important that their contribution is never forgotten.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I agree with Robbie, Jay and emmanuel, it is a moving remembrance for all the families,
    who had past relatives, who were involved in, what we now refer to as The Longest Day!
    Here in Devon as I,ve posted in another thread, this part of the world was involved
    in those very D-Day landings , with many casualties amongst the US forces, whilst practicing the invasion, at nearby Slapton Sands!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Well its both a day for remembrance and reflection as well as a celebration. My dad was born on June 6th and get this. The year was 1944. So my dad is 61 today. Happy B-Day dad!! And to all the vets, living and already "riding the pine". A hearty thank you and may God Bless You!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I would just like to add my birthday wishes to Mr SXViper senior,
    Hope he had a great day, and has many more. :lol: :lol:

Emmanuel. :jump:

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Me too, Viper. That's a most auspicious day for your dad to have been born. In fact, I would say without hesitation that it's the most important day that has ever occurred during my 67+ years. Give him my best regards and tell him I hope he has 61 more.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Thanks guys for the kind words. My dad was up in Canada fishing so I will send him your wishes when he returns.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Happy Birthday to Mr Viper Sr. Sorry I could not reply till today.

Also, I hated not being able to celebrate June 6th D-Day because of being stuck in bed. However, I did spend a good amount of time thinking of all those veterans and the men who died there. I saw some news that showed the thousands of white crosses (indicating the men who died) and it brought tears to my eyes to see those crosses and to see that so many died.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Jun 24 2005, 01:28 PM
    I saw some news that showed the thousands of white crosses (indicating the men who died) and it brought tears to my eyes to see those crosses and to see that so many died.

[snapback]18065[/snapback]

And to think that there "Americans" who would like to pull those crosses out of the ground and pitch them in a dumpster :angry: - not on my watch!

Chester :newyear:

• hi all

we are having VP celebrations this year starting in the coming months but as some veterns say it should be called VJ day as they fought the japs

hope some of you will be celebrating this day as well

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"