Was John Wayne Gay ?

There are 18 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,214 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am a big John Wayne fan. I will always admire and respect his character.
    There was an old boyfriend who argued that The Duke was gay. :uhuh2: It really makes no difference to me because I think the man is one of the most upstanding person of my lifetime.....50 plus.
    Just curious.
    dsc

• I would say your "old boyfriend" was completely trying to pull your chain. There is no evidence that he was ever gay. Somebody here who has studied Duke more thourghly then I can probably give you quotes or stories that wil rebuke this statement. I am pretty sure he was never gay and didn't leaned that way at all.

On a different note, Welcome to the mesage board. Hope you stay around and learn more nad share you thoughts on John Wayne. Feel free to jump into a conversation at anytime. Hope to see you around.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• To be honest he didn't really understand the 'gay thing' although he got on well with gay people such as Hudson. Your old boyfriend obviously didn't like Duke that is why he said this but the fact is he was not at any time gay.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• One of the things I most admire about John Wayne was his ability to see beyond a person's lifestyle or views. He never seemed to judge an individual too harshly. I also admire the fact that he was clear spoken about what he believed, and anyone that can master both of those is someone to be respected, even if you may not agree with everything they do or say.

Roger.

• Gay? I am sitting here looking at my Dictionary and it said "Gay was to be "Lively, Sportive, Of loose life, Bright, Showy or Pretty !" Duke was all of these things. Now as to Pretty I do not think so. :(

Now if you mean Homosexual? I can tell you for sure!!! Duke Loved The Ladys :wub: and The Ladys Loved The Duke!!! :wub:

DSC ,Welcome aboard get in here and have some Fun! :D

Chilibill :cowboy:

Originally posted by SXViper@Jun 25 2005, 03:59 PM
    I would say your "old boyfriend" was completely trying to pull your chain. There is no evidence that he was ever gay. Somebody here who has studied Duke more thourghly then I can probably give you quotes or stories that wil rebuke this statement. I am pretty sure he was never gay and didn't leaned that way at all.
    On a different note, Welcome to the mesage board. Hope you stay around and learn more nad share you thoughts on John Wayne. Feel free to jump into a conversation at anytime. Hope to see you around.

[snapback]18161[/snapback]

My old boy friend did more than pull my leg about the Duke.....he lied about lots of things :wub:
    I do appreciate the clarity and can continue to view the Duke as the uostanding man who put on no "falsities" what so ever.
    Thank you

• When I read this topic I almost fell out of my chair in disgust John Wayne was not a homosexual! Besides I always thought gay meant happy. Anyway please beat the crap out of your friend that told you that :cowboy:

NOT THE BRANDY YOU DOPE!

Anyway please beat the crap out of your friend that told you that

:lol: :lol: That was one of the funniest things I have heard in awhile!! :lol: :lol:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• It gets me a thought such as this would ever cross anyones mind.I do agree with giving a swift kick in the rear to your old boyfriend, hope you have a guy now that loves the Duke!

-IHW

• Maybe there is something to this after all. I think that Duke was gay. I never knew him to ever not be a happy person most of his life and he said that if he had to do over, he wouldn't change a thing. He experienced life changes and had to learn from each of them, like we all do. So, if he didn't experience the things he did, his life would have definitely been different. So despite all the adversity he had dealt with in his life, he wouldn't be who he was to us today, so yes he was a gay person.

Uh, I'm talking about happy person.

Sorry, I from the old definition, and if you are talking about homosexual, no he wasn't.

Have a gay day, everyone! :D

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo makes a good observation - What do today's generation think movies like "The Gay Divorcee" are about? I subscribe to the older definition myself!
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Wow, Hondo you had me worried for a moment there lol.My heart dropped when i read your bold text, then as i read further It leveled out. Gave me quite the scare but i also agree with you.

-IHW

• The Duke was not a Queen by any means. This is like a recent accusation I heard someone make about Cary Grant and Randolf Scott both being Queens -- which is also a lie. :(

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• According to the forum on the 'Dukes' ballroom dancing skills...he was 'light on his feet'....Just repeating what the participants said!

• Hello All
    In the Roberts and Olson book John Wayne American there is reference on page 466 to a pass made by actor Laurence Harvey at JW. Harvey is said to be bisexual and begged JW while drunk to spend the night with him. Harvey, it says, had made a nuisance of himself following JW around because he had a crush on him. It goes on to say that Duke shrugged off the awkward moment and that he avoided Harvey, that the proposition irritated Duke. In the same book on pages 570 & 571 the following can be read; Rock Hudsons biographer states that Hudson feared homophobia, but that he and Duke became friends. Dan Collier an actor on set- Undefeated said " Duke did not like that fa__ot stuff" . Pilar Wayne in her autobiography states that she asked Duke what he thought of Rock Hudson's homosexuality, Duke replied " What Rock Hudson does--- in the privacy of his own room--- is his own business. He's a professional on the set and a real gentleman--and he plays a hell of a hand of bridge."
    There are other refferences but for me the issue is settled. Kilo

Kilo

Greetings from North of the 49th