Can Someone Explain This?

There are 22 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,849 times. The latest Post () was by Duke.45.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This surpasses all understanding.

I've never read any of the books (and I'm a voracious reader) but the unparalleled demand for these books is astonishing. It's like they've become a cult thing or something.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Jul 17 2005, 08:22 PM
    Just wish you and I had,
    written them stumpy!!!

[snapback]19157[/snapback]

Ain't that the truth, Keith. That woman is undoubtedly a trillionaire by now.

• Stumpy

I cannot understand it myself? :angry: And I am quit a reader also! It is about Satanism! :fear2: Stumpy, You do not seem to be much of a Church goer, but I was not myself until about 17 years ago, I was a Pretty Bad Hombre in my younger days.

You said that you like to read and if you have not read "The Protocols of Zion" you should, they will Scare the Hell out of You just like they did me!!! You can bring up "The Protocols" on the Enter- Net and they are finally in English not just in Russian, German and French. As you will see this is only the start.

Bill :cowboy:

• Hi, thats just incredible, nearly 7million books in the first day.I will be picking up my copy tomorrow, as im quite the fan (ive been reading them since '99, great series.Just wish i has a fraction of the profits from it.!!!!

-IHW

• One thing that can explain the "success" of these books - if you look at it from a Biblical standpoint, during the end-times scenario that lasts approximately seven years, Satan will be ruling the world. If he is, he'll have to have a lot of help. My personal opinion is that these books are being used to seduce the youth of the world into thinking along supernatural lines, and from there to following Satan himself is not too far away. This may sound like a pretty bizarre perspective but if you start to look around at other things that are happening in this world, it starts to make sense.

Chester :newyear:

Originally posted by William T Brooks@Jul 17 2005, 08:57 PM
    Stumpy, You do not seem to be much of a Church goer, but I was not myself until about 17 years ago, I was a Pretty Bad Hombre in my younger days.

Up until I was about 40 or so, Bill, I raised more hell than the law allowed. Drank like a fish, fought anybody who even looked at me crooked, stayed out all night dancing and partying. But as you get older, you lay all that aside and kinda settle down.

I have to laugh - when I was younger, I used to cuss and shake my fists at the older drivers on the road because I was very impatient and always wanting to pass 'em. I drove like a bat out of hell. Now I'm one of those older drivers and have slowed down considerably so now the youngsters cuss and shake their fists at me. What goes around comes around. :lol:

No, I don't go to church. I'm a believer but I don't think a person has to go to church to show his/her beliefs. My grandparents raised me for about five years when I was a youngster and they were both very devout southern Baptists. Grandma took me to church twice on Sundays and then again on Wednesday night. So I was subjected to all that religion but it just never took a strong hold on me. But in looking at the wonders of nature and how everything fits together so well, you realize that it's not an accident and that some higher power designed it.

• hi all

have my copy of this book as well as all of the others. for those who look for something in these books i should remind you that even church going children find these book entertaining and that is all they are meant to be a good read not making children turn to the dark side or worship satan or what ever. didn't we all read books which had magic in them when we were children and go off into a fantasy world thats all that these books are doing. we should be glad that the books are dragging our children from in front of tv's and computers and playstations and such and are picking up books to read. do you realise that these books have increased the number of boys who now read just for the love of reading tell me what book/s have been able to do that since the likes of the secret seven by edin blyton of our day.

i implore you don't turn these books into something that they are not but congratulate the woman for writing books that help us as parents to get our children interested in reading. they are of a fantasy world that any child would know that isn't real but they enjoy them for the fun of them. do we stop our children from reading and allow them to become glued to the telly and such. i for one am happy to allow my son to read these books as he knows right from wrong, true from make believe and good from bad, and he believes in the all mighty even if we don't go to a building to show others we do. after all didn't christ preach on the hillside to his followers not in a building

jmo and how do we not know that she may be just trying to tell our children some of the bible by using these books showing satan as lord voldermort and god and his followers as dumbledore and the order of the phenix think about it please. don't go looking for something that might not be there in the first place otherwise we could end up like germany did when hitler was in charge burning books because we dont like them.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I'm with Smokey -
    I prefer to see kids reading as opposed to being glued to TV all the time. The Harry Potter books (I've read the first two) put the emphasis on the triumph of good over evil, with the background of a world where magic exists. Many stories in folklore and modern novels deal with good over evil in various contexts. But, at all times, these are works of fiction.
    Cheers - Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Stumpy: Wanna fight? pick up yer dukes! Just kidding :D I'm also an occasional Church-goer and I am also a firm believer that the LORD exists. I was raised a Methodist but know many Baptists. :)

I heard that the lady who writes these books originally came up with these characters whilst riding a train or bus somewhere in England. This lady was supposedly out of money and owed bills etc etc at that time. One thing I can say is that i'm glad a person made it from rags to riches and is probably well deserved. Other than that, I know zilch about the Harry Potter books and never have thought of looking at one.

Heh heh, the first several times I heard the name Harry Potter, I thought they were talking the guy who played Col Potter in M*A*S*H. :rolleyes: It did not take me long to realize how wrong I was. :D

AS for the connotations to satanism and the occult and Harry Potter--I don't know. I can see both sides point of views on this and they both make perfect sense. :blink:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Howdy, Smokey, I agree with you.

I was going to say something like that, but you said it so much better than I could have! I actually have read one of the books, had to check it out before I gave it to my niece as a gift. As Smokey says, it was a good read. As far as brainwashing kids into the occult, I don't see it, it's just an imaginative, fun twist on the good vs. evil theme.

• Hi

I agree with Smokey and ZS_Maverick, My two younger sons have read all of the other Harry Potter books, and are in the middle of the latest one. I read the first one myself, and have watched all the movies, and enjoyed them.

It's that old one, if you see or read it, you go out and do it. I don't believe that for a second, We were brought up watching westerns and war movies, that didn't make us want to go out and kill. To read or watch Harry Potter, is to enjoy the creative imagination of the highest quality. there is nothing sinister in the work, just hours of fun for the reader, and as Smokey says, if it gets the young away from in front the T V, then it can't be bad.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• hi guys

thanks for the back up here i thought that i was standing alone, as a mother i read all of these books before i allow my son to read them jsut to make sure that the content of the book is ok for him. it is through these books that he has started to pick up books to read for himself and this makes me very happy otherwise he wouldnt read like he does.

cheers smokey

Originally posted by smokey@Jul 20 2005, 07:46 AM
    this makes me very happy otherwise he wouldnt read like he does.

Encourage him, Smokey. In my opinion, reading is one of the most important activities a child can do because it's laying the groundwork for all their future learning. If they can't read well, they're not gonna learn much of anything else.

My love of reading came from my grandma, bless her, who used to take me on her lap and read to me when I was only 3 or 4 years old. I quickly began reading on my own and by the 2nd grade of school, was reading books with which today's 9th or 10th graders would have problems understanding. Doubt if you ever read it but one of my favorite childhood books was Booth Tarkington's "Penrod", a story of a young very mischievous boy in small-town America. Many of the words used in "Penrod" would be completely unknown to modern thirty-somethings.

• I took me just a day and a half to read the new book,the best in the series in my opinion.I cant wait for the 7th to come out, but i expect itll be a good two years sadly.

-IHW

• hi stumpy

am trying and so is the reading :lol: i too learnt at an early age to love books but i have to say i have never heard of the book that you loved as a child. myself as a child used books like the modern child uses the telly, computer and playstations and this is what im trying to get the little bloke to do having moderate success so far.

my nephew who turns 14 in october reads books that others in his peer group dont he is into the more adult reading group he just loves books we gave him a book last christmas that any normal child would have taken about a week to read he did it in 4 days and he knew what the book was about.

in harms way i have to agree with you its a pitty that we will have to wait so long for the next one to come out, i have to say i couldnt put the book down have now passed it on to my mum to read and when she has finished i will read it with the little bloke.

cheers smokey

• Hi IHW, I did not know there were supposed to be more than 5 originally? I heard somewhere that the lady was going to quit at 5 books but then decided on another because of their popularity and stop at 6?

Well, if people approve of her books and buy them, I see no reason for her to stop at 7. :)

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I was an avid science-fiction buff many moons ago, but haven't been able to keep up with it in recent years since I have so many other things to read - I can't even keep up with the current stuff. I still have many of the paperbacks and sci-fi magazines (Galaxy, Astounding, Fantastic, etc) stored in my garage and sometimes I'll drag something out and read it. My point is, although some of the stories could become totally outrageous, they were great to read and worked my imagination in all sorts of directions. And I think I turned out to be pretty normal after all that.
    Read a book today and stimulate your imagination!
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Jul 21 2005, 01:01 PM
    Hi IHW, I did not know there were supposed to be more than 5 originally? I heard somewhere that the lady was going to quit at 5 books but then decided on another because of their popularity and stop at 6?

Well, if people approve of her books and buy them, I see no reason for her to stop at 7. :)

[snapback]19317[/snapback]

Nope, all along she was suppose to do only seven of the books. One book for Harry's year attending Hogwarts School of WitchCraft and Wizardry. Although she says she will NEVER write more then the seven, I sure hope she does.

Not bad for a woman once on welfare, to becoming richer then the queen of England. :rolleyes: . Oh well!

-IHW