Best Big Screen Robin Hood.

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,241 times. The latest Post () was by Stumpy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Which of the following is your favorite big screen Robin Hood? 1) Douglas Fairbanks Sr. 2) Errol Fly 0

1. 1) Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (0) 0%
    2. 2) Errol Flynn. (0) 0%
    3. 3) Sean Connery. (0) 0%
    4. 4) Kevin Costner. (0) 0%

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl,
    Thanks for posting the photographs,
    especially Worf!!
    It has to be Errol,
    he was so suited to the Hollywood image of Robin Hood,
    so suave and dashing,
    I don't think anyone else can come near him.
    For me Errol Flynn, is Robin Hood.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I picked Errol Flynn.

I haven't seen the whole movie, but I think he was a better Robin Hood. I haven't seen Douglas and didn't know Sean played Robin Hood.

As for Costner; he was absolutely horrible as Robin Hood. I saw the movie, and thought that here is someone who convienced me of one thing. He should stay away from british history. He was bad, bad bad! Just to go and waste my time and money to see that movie at a theater. :dead:

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I agree. But one of the funniest things I ever saw in my entire life concerned the Todd version of Robin. I was in a house of ill repute in Sasebo, Japan one night in the mid-fifties watching TV with the mama-san in the parlor. Suddenly Robin Hood with Todd came on. Don't know if you've ever heard any Japanese speak but seeing Todd spout his lines in Japanese was hilarious. It was just so totally incongruous.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• My vote goes to Errol Flynn. Not only did his debonaire, devil-may-care attitude light up the screen, but the additional positive elements of a great script, marvelous color photography (which was in its early stages at that time) and a general sense of great adventure made for a timeless classic.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Jul 26 2005, 08:15 PM
    ... didn't know Sean played Robin Hood.

[snapback]19475[/snapback]

I think that was "Robin and Marian" from the mid-70s. Sean Connery's co-star was Audrey Hepburn. I have never seen it but I understand it is a different slant on the legend (as were many movies of the seventies that tried to change the perceptions of accepted lore).

"Not hardly!!!"

• Ringo, For me there was only "One Robin Hood" and that was Errol Flynn. I can remember going to the Fox Theater in Phoenix in about 1939 to see the Film. After that every Kid in town wanted to be Robin Hood and have a Bow and Arrow! ;)

I did not ever meet him, but in the 1980s when we were doing the Chilibill's Kitchen T.V. Series the Director was from Hollywood and had spent a lot of time with him, and said that he was just like what you saw in Robin Hood! :lol:

I do remember when I was doing the Flying for Bill Hearst in the late 1970s and the early 1980s, he told me that they had Errol Flynn one time at the Hearst Castle and that was the last time! He had brought his own Booze with him and that was a NO-NO, and that he was after all the Good Looking Ladys for the two days he was there. :fear::agent:

Smokey! I did know that he was born in Hobar, Tasmania, Australia in 1909, now I know why I liked him in all those Great Films!!! :rolleyes:

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Hello Ethan, Hondo, Arthur, Stumpy, Jay, Viper and Mr. Brooks.

Ethan, Quite welcome. I too chose Errol Flynn as my favorite Robin Hood. I've seen several version of Robin Hood by several actors and agree that Flynn was the best of them all. Same goes for Lady Marion w/ Olivia de Havilland. Olivia de havilland was and still is a vey beautiful woman.

Hondo, I have not seen Fairbanks as Robin Either but I still think that Flynn can never be beat. I can't stand Costner either. I did rent his version some years ago and disliked it. Not that I have anything against Morgan Freeman either and he is an excellent actor, I do not believe that he should have been in that movie. I'm more for sticking with tradition.

Arthur, I thought of putting Richard Todd there but I could not find a picture of him. I think that his TV series is now on DvD and I have been wanting to order it as i've never seen the show but have heard it was a very well done show.

Stumpy, Ha ha, great story. I'll tell you something one MUST watch the German version of is Tim Conway as Dorf on Golf. I was in Frankfurt in Oct 2000 and I was watching TV and they were playing Dorf. I never laughed so much, not only at his comedy but that the German voices used (at least for Tim Conway) did not fit and that made it much more funnier.

Jay, your correct Audry was in it as Maid Marion. I saw the tail end of this movie about 20 years ago and do not remember liking it very much.

Viper, Double thumbs up on that friend. :D

Mr. Brooks, great story. I never have had the chance to see really any of the greats on the big screen except for Clark Gable. It must have been great to be able to see so many greats at the theater. I have seen modern greats like Charlton Heston, Eastwood, and a few others. To me it's just not the same. TCM about 2 or so months ago had an excellent documentary on him which told about the "rape" trial and many other things. I think he was trying to change his bad image not long before he passed away. I sure wished he had been more successful. I like many of his movies just because he is in them. I saw 1 or 2 films he did that were comedy which were enjoying to watch and was interesting to see him other than as the consumate hero.

• Hi Ringo

I think the series you are thinking of was the Adventures of Robin Hood made\ for Independent television during the late 50s or early 60s, Richard Greene played Robin. The Disney Richard Todd was a one off film with James Hayter as Friar Tuck James Robertson Justice as Little John (I think).

Stumpy I can't imagine those soft dolcect Scottish tones of Richard Todd in a Japanese version especially in a Japanese w**** h****. Although he did play Rob Roy as well for Disney.

Around about the same time ITV had the Adventure of Ivanhoe with Roger Moore in the title role and Dan Tempest with Robert Shaw playing the hero but neither were the famous actors they were to become.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Jul 27 2005, 12:53 PM
    Stumpy I can't imagine those soft dolcect Scottish tones of Richard Todd in a Japanese version especially in a Japanese w**** h****. Although he did play Rob Roy as well for Disney.

One of my favorite Todd roles was as Major John Howard, commander of the British glider troops who assaulted and captured the bridge over the Orne river the morning of D-Day.

• Ah thank you Arthur, your quite right on this and thanks for setting me straight. I am amazed at just how many have played him on the big and small screen. :D

Originally posted by Stumpy@Jul 27 2005, 01:11 AM
    I was in a house of ill repute in Sasebo, Japan one night in the mid-fifties . . .

[snapback]19495[/snapback]

I spent two years home ported in Sasebo, first aboard the USS Epping Forrest and then for a year and a half on the USS Surfbird. If my memory serves me correctly, all the houses I ever saw in Sasebo were quite reputable :D, although this wasn't until 1968-70.

Chester :newyear:

Originally posted by chester7777@Jul 28 2005, 12:52 AM
    all the houses I ever saw in Sasebo were quite reputable

You just weren't frequenting the "right" neighborhoods, Chet. :lol:

• When I was in Sasebo, they wouldn't allow us to go in the stores and bars because our ship had nuclear capable weapons systems. They were protesting our being there. So what you saw was a bunch of sailors sitting on the side of the road drunk from buying beer from the beer machines they had. I really didn't care much for Japan.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• It looks as if Errol Flynn has got the ayes.
    I always liked the scene when the King and his entourage have been invited to Robin Hood's encampment incognito and reveal themselves to the Merry Men. Kind of a lump-in-the-throat moment.

"Not hardly!!!"

• I happen to watch last night on TCM the Sean Connery version, and I didn't like it at all. It was released in 1976, and it was terrible. I'll stick with Flynn.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote