What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,468,333 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "Buchannan Rides Alone". Good Randolph Scott Western. Very different than most of his later movies; instead of the guy out for revenge, he's a good natured drifting cowboy with a sense of humor.

It's part of a new 5 disc set "The Budd Boetticher" Collection (The director of the movie). All five movies on the disc star Scott, and the others are "The Tall T", "Decision at Sundown", 'Ride Lonesome', and "Comanche Station". There's also comments from Clint Eastwood and others about the films. (Clint talks about "Comanche Station", havent' watched that one yet) All good, well written little movies. This was the first time I'd seen "Buchannan". Very enjoyable B Western.

• ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO (1953)
    A fairly good western with William Holden as cynical Union Captain during the Civil War in a Fort in Arizona. Gorgeous Eleanore Parker and John Forsythe as Confederate Captain are the other cast and all are doing their jobs extremely well. John Sturges is the director and IMO his best scenes are nearly at the end during the battle between Indians and a bunch of survivors. To sum it up a good cavalry western with a fine cast, beautiful photography, some romance, some suspense and good action scenes.

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• "Buchannan Rides Alone". Good Randolph Scott Western. Very different than most of his later movies; instead of the guy out for revenge, he's a good natured drifting cowboy with a sense of humor.

It's part of a new 5 disc set "The Budd Boetticher" Collection (The director of the movie). All five movies on the disc star Scott, and the others are "The Tall T", "Decision at Sundown", 'Ride Lonesome', and "Comanche Station". There's also comments from Clint Eastwood and others about the films. (Clint talks about "Comanche Station", havent' watched that one yet) All good, well written little movies. This was the first time I'd seen "Buchannan". Very enjoyable B Western.

So far, the only one of these I haven't yet viewed is "Comanche Station". My favorite by far of those I've watched is "The Tall T"., which is an excellent Western with some memorable (and verrrrry nasty) villains played by Richard Boone, Henry Silva and Skip Homier.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• How the West was Won Special Edition. They have cleaned the print up well removing most of the three camera marks associated with Cinerama. I did think the print was a bit soft. Why couldn't Duke have a bigger role it would have improved the movie.

• Streets of Laredo (1995)
    A pretty good TV Western with James Garner, Sissy Spacek, Sam Shephard, Ned Beatty and others.

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• The Hanging Tree (1959/ Director: Delmar Davis)
    As usual an unusual Western from Director Delmar Davis (Broken Arrow, 3:10 to Yuma ....). Gary Cooper with a good performance as Dr. Frail who is the medico of a Gold Digger Town. He is a man with a dark and violent past. Dr. Frail rescues a young man's life from hanging but from now on the young Man lives under his Control. The Doctor also helps a surviving woman (Maria Schell) after a stagecoach raid. Unfortunately he falls in Love with her and the Troubles in the Gold Digger Town started. The supporting cast with Karl Malden, George C. Scott and Maria Schell is pretty fine. The movie has a gritty realistic touch and the final is again very unusual for a Western. Not to forget the excellent Music Score (BTW a good Title Theme which was nominated for the Academy Award) and the great photography. More Drama/Romance as Western but worth to watch.:thumbs_up:

• True Grit,I have seen this movie so many times I can recite everyone's lines
    by heart and it's still one of my favourites.

• So far, the only one of these I haven't yet viewed is "Comanche Station". My favorite by far of those I've watched is "The Tall T"., which is an excellent Western with some memorable (and verrrrry nasty) villains played by Richard Boone, Henry Silva and Skip Homier.

Well, watched "Comanche Station" this afternoon and "The Tall T" is still the best of the five movies by far, IMO.

"Comanche Station" had glaring inaccuracies as far as characterizations in some of the roles played. Such mistakes always spoil a Western for me.

Randolph Scott is looking for his wife, who has supposedly been captured by what are supposed to be Comanche Indians. The inaccuracies are that this film is supposed to be set in the Arizona Territory and Comanches never ranged that far west. They were Plains Indians who ranged mostly in west Texas, primarily the Panhandle. Another mistake is that these so-called "Comanches" had Mohawk haircuts. I know of no Plains tribes who wore their hair like that.

You'd think the people who make these movies could do a little research and make sure such obvious errors don't occur.

Claude Akins was the bad guy and as usual, old Claude does a fine job as a movie villain.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• The last western I watched was a comedy called Evil Roy Slade released in
    1972 and starring John Astin.It is very funny take on the old west.

• "A Man Alone" (1955)
    -Ray Milland

A gunfighter, falsely accused of killing passengers of a stagecoach, hides out with a sick sheriff and his beautiful daughter.

Light on action, but a good story and some very good acting. Better than I expected

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Rawhide with Tyrone Power and Susan Hayward. That is one sexy lady. This was a good movie. I'd give this 3 and a half stars. I recommend this movie. Jack Elam was great as the villian.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The Gunfighter with Gregory Peck. This movie was really good, and just fantastic. I heard that John Wayne was offered the part and he wanted it, but Fox Studios asked Peck to play the part. Just a little trivial on Duke.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• The Gunfighter with Gregory Peck. This movie was really good, and just fantastic. I heard that John Wayne was offered the part and he wanted it, but Fox Studios asked Peck to play the part. Just a little trivial on Duke.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Always thought that there are several similarities between the main character of The Gunfighter and The Shootist . So at least Duke got his role!:wink_smile:

I appreciate The Gunfighter more than High Noon.

Watched two John Wayne Western:

Dakota (1945)
    Winds of the Wasteland (1936)

Enjoyed the second one more.

• Dead Man's Walk
    Pretty good TV Western in 3 parts after the novel of Larry McMurtry.:thumbs_up:

• "Day Of The Evil Gun" (1968)
    -Glenn Ford

A gunman, who abandoned his wife and daughters, returns home to find out they have been kidnapped by Apaches. He then reluctantly teams up with his wife's new fiancee to rescue them.

Made on a modest budget, this is still a highly entertaining film. Good acting. plot and action.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town