What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,357 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi
    Jim

If I remember rightly Gable played in a number of westerns including the Tall men with Jane Russell and Boom Town with Spencer Tracy. Probably there must have been more but i cant thnk of any at the moment.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Dakota. I enjoyed this movie though the plot and dialogue was especially weak in places. I always love seeing Duke and Walter Brennan together and Ward and his pal were striking villans, I like to see Duke and Ward go against each other in films, makes it all the more fun knowing the deep friendship that was there.

Support your local Gunfighter. A fun sequel to the movie I mentioned a page or so back and once again Jack Elam stole the show, he really could be a fantastic foil, iv'e always considered him the textbook Western villan. I always enjoyed Harry Morgan in MASH and enjoyed seeing him in these movies where he already looked old, crazy to think he only died last year. I enjoyed Garner aswell, smooth and confident i'm suprised he didn't become more of a Western box office star at the time but I suppose Westerns were on the decline and he was forever associated with Bret Maverick, I imagine 20 years earlier he might have been a huge star.

• Dakota. I enjoyed this movie though the plot and dialogue was especially weak in places. I always love seeing Duke and Walter Brennan together and Ward and his pal were striking villans, I like to see Duke and Ward go against each other in films, makes it all the more fun knowing the deep friendship that was there.

A poor film and an odd one
    here is our dedicated thread
    Dakota

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The king and four queens

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Already took a look in there, I watched both that and The Fighting Kentuckian both this week and Ralston's bad acting didn't really stand out for me in either, didn't realise it was the same woman until i looked it up!

I agree she certainly was poor.
    Just shows how far you can get when you 'know' the boss!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Already took a look in there, I watched both that and The Fighting Kentuckian both this week and Ralston's bad acting didn't really stand out for me in either, didn't realise it was the same woman until i looked it up!

I agree she certainly was poor.
    Just shows how far you can get when you 'knew' the boss!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks for the reminder, Art. I've seen both of those but it's been awhile and this 74-year-old memory is failing fast.
    Jim

De gustibus non est disputandum

• The Apple Dumpling Gang a cute movie with some great actors who are no longer with us. Watched with a child and he hooted all night.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Cry Blood Apache.
    I knew it was bad, everyone says it's bad.
    Damn, it's worse than bad.
    Has the infamous pleasure of going straight into my top 3 worst films I've ever seen from any genre.
    2 stinkers in a row on a Saturday night, I hope not to repeat that again for a long time!

• Westbound with Randolph Scott.
    Needed to be sure of a good'un after the stinkers I'd just watched.
    Randolph Scott didn't let me down!
    Westbound is a great little Western, lighter than the later Scott /Boetticher films, very well put together. Glad I've got the poster, lol!

Edited once, last by Dooley ().

• Universal is planning to release a box set of five widescreen westerns next year. The release date isn't announced yet, but the titles are:
    Horizons West
    Saskatchewan
    Dawn at Socorro
    Backlash
    -and -
    Pillars of the Sky.

Oh, the last western I watched was "Duck You Sucker" aka "Fistful of Dynamite". This was the restored director's cut and is a 100% improvement over the short version. Seek it out.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Thanks for the update Bill.
    I have all these on dvd apart from Dawn at Socorro.
    Are they blu ray?

• Return of the bad men.
    Randolph Scott and Gabby Hayes again this time with Robert Ryan, surprise, surprise playing the villain.
    Anther good Scott Western.

• Overland Stage Raiders on Olive blu ray.

Another cracking transfer and a nice little film.
    I have rediscovered these since the blu rays and have enjoyed everyone.

Can't wait for the next batch of Duke releases from Olive films in Janary!