What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,455,099 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

Dragon Wells Massacre with Dennis O'Keefe, Barry Sullivan, Jack Elam, Hank Worden & Sebastian Cabot.
    A reasonable 1953 picture with a group of survivors making their way to safety through Apache country.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Broken Trail (2006)
    Very good TV Western with the every time good Robert Duvall. Beautiful photographed, good acting, good story, nothing to complain. :thumbs_up:

Dead Man's Walk (1996)
    Another decent TV Western after a novel by Larry McMurtry. It's a part of the Lonesome Dove Serie and very entertaining. :wink_smile:

The Outriders (1950)
    A decent Western with Joel McCrae. An amazing scene when a trek crosses a river is the highlight of this movie. Solid but not as good as I wished. :wink:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• A few Westerns recently ala buying them from Deep Discount DvD:

Escape From Fort Bravo, 4 For Texas, Distant Drums, The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, and soon to be viewed when they arrive are an 4 movie Errol Flynn set which includes: Rocky Mountain, Montana, San Antonio and another whose title escapes me at this time. Plus, Only the Valiant w/ Gregory Peck, and three other titles. If everything comes in before too long, i'll be watching Westerns through Christmas ;-D

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• "Gold Of The Seven Saints" (1961)
    -Clint Walker, Roger Moore

Film Synopsis: IMDB
    Fur-trapper Shawn Garrett gets out of a horse-stealing charge in a small, frontier town by agreeing to buy the horse with a gold nugget. This nugget attracts the attention of a man named McCracken who, with his gang, secretly follows Garrett across the desert in the hope of finding the source of his gold. Garrett joins up with his partner, Jim Rainbolt, and together they manage to hold off McCracken's gang long enough to hide their gold before seeking refuge in the hacienda of a landowner named Gondora. Gondora soon finds out about the gold, however, and Rainbolt and Garrett now find themselves in a fight to save their gold and their lives as well.

Phantoms Review: Standard "B" western. Most of the film takes place in the dessert and just shows the stars trekking across the sands running from the bad guys. Nothing very exciting. A couple of okay shoot out scenes, but nothing great. My biggest complaint is that Roger Moore's character is supposed to be Irish, but Moore can never hold on to an Irish accent. Overall. a forgettable film.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "Five Guns West" (1955)
    -John Lund, Mike (Touch) Conners

Synopsis: IMDB
    During the Civil War, five condemned Southern prisoners are plucked off Death Row and promised pardons on the condition that they undertake a mission to head west and bring back a double-crossing Confederate spy who has a stagecoach full of Confederate gold.

Phantom's Review: Wow! What a boring movie. Short on action and long on talk, problem is they don't say much of anything. A dull film all the way.

• "The Tall Stranger" (1957)
    -Joel McCrea, Virginia Mayo

Synopsis: IMDB
    Ned Bannon comes across rustlers and is shot and left for dead, but is found in time by a wagon train heading for California. When he recovers he becomes suspicious of the two outsiders who are leading the train into a dead-end valley owned by his hostile half-brother. Braving his relative's animosity going back to the Civil War, Bannon makes contact to try and avoid a showdown.

Phantom's Review: Finally, after a couple of dud westerns, I get to see a good movie. Plenty of action and a good story (based on a fine Louis L'Amour novel) I enjoyed this film.

• I watched one of the "Three Godfathers" Films, but this Film was the One that was done in 1936 with Chester Morris as the Main Actor and He Dies at The End Of the Film, after He makes it to Town with the Baby !
    :ohmy:
    Bill
    :cowboy:

• I'm not sure if this is a western but I will post it here. Boom Town with Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable, Caudette Colbert, and Hedy Lamarr. This is a pretty good classic. A rating of 3 stars out of 4.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I think the last Western I saw was: Rocky Mountain w/ Errol Flynn-and is one of four Flynn westerns I recently got. The otherw and in this order ae: Montana, Virginia City and San Antonio. These are sold only in the Errol Flynn Western Collection. All of them were very enjoyable and watchable.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The Shootist with Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, James Stewart, Scatman Crothers and of course the man.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I watched one of the "Three Godfathers" Films, but this Film was the One that was done in 1936 with Chester Morris as the Main Actor and He Dies at The End Of the Film, after He makes it to Town with the Baby !
    :ohmy:
    Bill
    :cowboy:

No disrespect to the The Duke, but I always liked this version of "Three Godfathers" better then his. Not that the Wayne/Ford version is bad, just not as good.

• Oh yes True Grit get's better and better. :wink_smile:

Jesse James (1939) Entertaining but I wished Henry Fonda would be Jesse James instead of Tyrone Power.

Northwest Passage (1940) Great Movie with the all time great Spencer Tracy and Walter Brennan (not as Stumpy but without teeth!). The Book of Kenneth Roberts is also great!

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

Edited once, last by JohnChisum ().

• Heaven's Gate (1980)

At least tried to watch it. After an hour and a half of nothing hapening, I gave up on it! (And there was still at least 2 hours left to go!)

You can stare at an oil painting for three and half hours and get more story and action than this thing delivers!