What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,454,273 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Old John Wayne movies. Randy Rides Again and West of the Divide. Maybe Mclintock later tonight.

• Rio Bravo with John Wayne, Dean Martin, Walter Brennen, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickenson, and Ward Bond. Need I say more. 4 out of 4 stars.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Pale Rider with Clint - good western with "Jaws" Richard Kiel and "Nathan Burdette" John Russel in supporting roles

[CENTER][/CENTER]

• "Wagon Master" (1950)
    - Ben Johnson, Harry Carrey jr. Ward Bond

Plot Synopsis: IMDB: A group of Mormons hoping to found a new colony in the trackless San Juan River country hire horse traders Travis and Sandy as wagonmaster and guide. One attraction for Sandy is "redheaded gal" Prudence. Soon they're joined by Doc Hall's broken down medicine show, with "scarlet women" Denver and Fleuretty. Then the Clegg boys, slightly psycho outlaws, decide a Mormon wagon train will make ideal camouflage.

Phantom's Review: While not one of John Ford's classics, this is still an entertaining little movie. Nice performances by stars Johnson and Carrey Jr, and a terrific job by the great Ward Bond. Plenty of action and fun. "Gunsmoke" fans may want to see this film to see a very young James Arness as one of the villains.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "Appaloosa"(2008)
    -Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen

Plot Synopsis: IMDB

New Mexico.Territory.1882. Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch are itinerant lawmen, hired by desperate towns as marshal and deputy. The city fathers of Appaloosa hire them after Randall Bragg, a newly-arrived rancher with money and a gang of thugs, disrupts commerce and kills three local lawmen. Cole and Hitch contrive to arrest Bragg and bring him to trial, but hanging him proves difficult. Meanwhile, a widow has arrived in town, Allison French, pretty, refined, and good-natured. Virgil falls hard, and it seems mutual, but there may be more to Allie than meets the eye.

Phantom's Review: I loved this movie ! Great acting from all the stars, beautifully filmed and a nice balance of action and humor. A wonderful western.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Appaloosa that I rented from a video store. I liked it alright. It was a little slow but it was good overall. The extras were good and explained it better. I'm not sure if this would have made this movie better if I saw the extras before I saw the movie. Anyway, I may purchase this for my collection. Ed Harris was good as well as Renee Zellweger, Viggo Mortensen, and Jeremy Irons.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Well I'll make it a third one that finally got a chance to watch Appaloosa. The movie itself wasn't bad, a bit slow, however. At least there were a few scenes where there was shooting involved and the interaction between Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson was enjoyable. Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10 for what it is worth.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Appaloosa. It was pretty good, kinda slow but worth watching.

• The Outlaw Josey Wales was based on a book called Gone To Texas. It was a excellent book and the movie followed it well. The movie itself is a classic but the book is definately worth reading also. If your into that sort of thing. This movie is my favorite Eastwood movie.

• The Outlaw Josey Wales was based on a book called Gone To Texas. It was a excellent book and the movie followed it well. The movie itself is a classic but the book is definately worth reading also. If your into that sort of thing. This movie is my favorite Eastwood movie.

Thanks ladybug and Steve for your comments.
    You may be interested in our dedicated thread on this movie,
    Classic Movie Westerns- The Outlaw Josey Wales

It notes the book and also points this out

* In the novel, Lone Watie is identified as the nephew of General Stand Watie, a Cherokee from Indian Territory, who was the last Confederate general to surrender at the end of the U.S. Civil War.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The Man From Utah, The Lucky Texan old Lone Star movies

• My wife and I watched Vengeance Valley with Burt Lancaster and Rage at Dawn with Randolph Scott. I'd like to see Appaloosa, but I gonna have to wait until it gets onto DVD so I can rent it. I've read the book, and found it to be pretty good.
    Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.