How's The Weather

There are 4,432 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 927,666 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Can anyone say "humidity" :dead:

H-U-M-I-D-I-T-Y . . . one thing I do NOT miss about the East Coast (having been born and raised there).

Where we live, the Central Coast of California, we have an amazing climate, in that it can get blistering hot during the day, but it ALWAYS cools down a LOT at night. It can be 100+ at the peak of the day, and the overnight low can be as low as 50º F.

Yesterday, we topped out at around 82º (sunny, a few cirrus clouds, but no humidity), which is considered unseasonably cool. This morning, with the marine layer having come in overnight, we are at 56º and overcast (it'll burn off by 9 AM or so). It's that marine layer that keeps us so cool!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Back in the Fifties, I spent 4 years stationed near San Diego.

More recently, a son lived there for about 7 or 8 years and the wife and I often visited him.

IMO, San Diego, has one of the most ideal climates of any place I've ever been. It's cool and sorta damp at night and in the morning. About 9AM it warms a bit and the moist air seems to evaporate, with temperatures the rest of the day around 75 or 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I loved that climate.
    In fact, I like the weather along the whole Pacific coast.

I think if I ever win the lottery (:teeth_smile: I won't hold my breath), I'm gonna move up around Murray's neck of the woods. I think I'd like to live around Vancouver BC.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Looks like we've finally entered into a rain pattern in the last week or so. I've received maybe two and a half inches in the last four days. Grass and trees are looking a lot greener. Hope it keeps up.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• You know, about a week ago, I just knew we were gonna get some much needed rain from Tropical Storm Fay, but for some reason it just doesn't rain here and Fay appears to be heading west as soon as it hit the Georgia, Florida border. Just wondering what it takes to get a little rain around here.

At least it has cooled off somewhat.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• August weather here in north Texas has been weird. Started off hotter than blue blazes but the past week we've had quite a bit of rain and things have really cooled. Farmer's Almanac is predicting a really cold winter (suits me).

• There are some places that would dearly LOVE to be seeing rain right now.

You know that song that says, "It never rains in southern California"? Well, for portions of CA, that is very true, especially during the summer months. We haven't seen measurable precipitation since . . . maybe April. We're not in southern CA, but our summer weather pattern rarely includes rain. You could plan an outdoor summer wedding and be pretty well assured it would be a dry day. Now the heat - that's another matter entirely. Last September we went to an outdoor wedding, and it was close to 100º F, at 4 PM!

• From the way you folks in the UK talk about your constantly rainy weather, one would think you were living around Seattle, Washington. :teeth_smile:

Not raining today Stumpy,
    nice and sunny,mild and clear.
    Does it rain much in Seattle then?

luckynedpepper

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• Not raining today Stumpy,
    nice and sunny,mild and clear.
    Does it rain much in Seattle then?

luckynedpepper

Glad to hear you're enjoying nice weather for a change, Ned.

Seattle (in fact the whole Northwest U.S.) is known for its' notoriously rainy weather. I've read various accounts that it rains 7 or 8 months out of each year. While we Texans get just a fraction of that amount, and usually wish for more, I don't think we'd like as much rain as they get in the NW United States.

• Yesterday we woke up to frost! In AUGUST! Being from Texas where we worry about our veggies being cooked by the sun before we pick them to cook in the skillet, this is a major change.

At this moment it is 40 degrees at almost 9 am, supposed to get up to 83 today. I have seen several flocks of geese already heading south so I wonder if we will have another winter like the last one. Some of the leaves on the vines growing on the house are already turning red.

I love this weather but I worked so hard to get the garden going and it was late because last winter kept hanging on...So goes the life of an Idaho farmer. :stunned:

• Here in South Texas, we've been in a rain pattern for over a week. Sure feels good - it's supposed to last through the weekend and then dry up for a while. The rain has helped keep the temps down in the eighties.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Well, the respite from blast furnace temperatures was good while it lasted but we're back in our usual scorching rut.

Stumpy, you have got to move about 1000 miles north. If you are already retired it wouldn't take much to move to Minnesota, Wisconsin, or the UP of Michigan. I would almost bet its cheaper to live up here then down there. Sell the house, by a town home. Sure we have snow but we have awesome summers. Suppose to get down to 49F tonight and high of 77 tomorrow. No humidity!!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Stumpy, you have got to move about 1000 miles north. If you are already retired it wouldn't take much to move to Minnesota, Wisconsin, or the UP of Michigan. I would almost bet its cheaper to live up here then down there. Sell the house, by a town home. Sure we have snow but we have awesome summers. Suppose to get down to 49F tonight and high of 77 tomorrow. No humidity!!!!

Sure wish I could, Todd, but my 3 kids (and their collective 7 kids) couldn't afford to move up there with me and I don't wanna move that far away from them. I keep telling my wife that if we ever win the MegaMillions lottery (current jackpot 114 mil), I'm gonna move all of us to a cooler climate. My dream is to live up around Murray's neck of the woods (Vancouver, BC).

As for the cost of living, I believe I've read that Texas is one of the least expensive places to live in the whole U.S.

Besides, my conservative political preferences wouldn't fit in with all those liberals you have up in Minnesota. You're an anomaly, you know. :wink_smile::wink_smile:

• Seattle (in fact the whole Northwest U.S.) is known for its' notoriously rainy weather.

Also days without sunshine. Where I went to college (Binghamton, NY), we were known as having cloudy days second only to Seattle, and some of the students literally went into a depression over it. Now I don't know if that cloudy day statistic is an official one or not, but personally I had no problem with the clouds. I like the sun, but I really like moderate temperatures.

Here on the central coast, we are continuing with our typical summer pattern - overcast most mornings with relatively early burn-off (by 9 AM), highs in the mid- to upper eighties, overnight lows down in the low fifties (occasionally creeps into the upper forties).

Mrs. C :angel1: