War Movies Of John Wayne

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,090 times. The latest Post () was by Colorado Bob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is a list of the War movies John Wayne did in his career. We are talking about 20th Century Wars. Most of these films are of World War II (14) and Vietnam War (1). I could be mistaken and there could be more movies of these kind of war movies, but this is what I could find.

The reason I am listing these movies is because I wanted to be sure that you know what movies are out there from Duke.

1. The Long Voyage Home (1940)
    2. Flying Tigers (1942)
    3. Reunion in France (1942)
    4. The Fighting Seabees (1944)
    5. Back to Bataan (1945)
    6. They Were Expendable (1945)
    7. Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
    8. Operation Pacific (1951)
    9. Flying Leathernecks (1951)
    10. The Sea Chase (1955)
    11. The Wings of Eagles (1957)
    12. The Longest Day (1962)
    13. In Harm’s Way (1965)
    14. Cast a Giant Shadow (1966)
    15. The Green Berets (1968)

If there is a movie I missed please list.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo,

This was an interesting topic to start, and got me thinking.

Here are some interesting ideas, based on how IMDb categorizes movies -

The Horse Soldiers is considered, among other things (like Adventure and Western), a War movie.

The movie Wings of Eagles, on the other hand, is listed only as a Drama.

Rio Lobo comes in as Adventure/Western/Romance/War, although I would generally not count it among War movies.

And how about The Alamo? IMDb lists it this way - Action/Adventure/Drama/History/War/Western

What even got me started on this was wondering if the movie Blood Alley would be considered a War movie (it was only listed as Action/Adventure).

Every other title you listed as a War movie was confirmed by IMDb as such.

Just FYI :D !

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Senta,

I've seen this movie and it was a long time ago. I didn't remember it as a war movie, but it was listed as such.

We can either list is or not. I won't argue that point.

I can only say let the critics decide, and we'll go from there.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Chester, uh Mrs.

If you noticed that I started this as a 20th century war movies, so that eliminates the 19th century time frame.

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Mike,
    I think that it isn't war movie, because there is no war action in it and the ship is only take the military cargo of amunition. But of course the plot is connected with war so you can list is as war movie.
    "Lets the critics decide", can't agee with it complitly, I have the same writes to decide as them. And we all know that critics many times decide wrong (you may remember all this Oscar stories).
    But its all my own opinion.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi
    In the Long Voyage Home The ship is attacked by german planes and Smitty who had previously been accused of being a German Spy, is killed as a result. At the end of the film Drisc is shanghaied aboard the Amindra and later the newspaper headline reveals that the ship has been torpedoed with no survivors.

I consider the film to a war film and a reminder if one were needed of the gallant sacrifices made by the members of both of our countries merchant marine during the Second World War.

Regards

Arthur.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

I Cover The War is the story of a fictional colonial war that takes place in the fictional Middle East country of Samari. Duke plays the part of acameraman who is sent to discover the identity of the leader of a group of fanatical Arabs known as Muffadhi. There are battle scenes and if you adhere strictly to the title and there are battle scenes when Dukes saves the British Army from ambush.

I would class the film as a war/adventure in much the same way as Gungha Din was an adventure/war picture.

Incidentally in the early sequences an actor named Abdullah makes an appearance he is about 6-5 tall and doesn't sday a word. Apparently he was real Arab and Victor McLaglen's adopted son.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane+Jan 14 2006, 09:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hondo Duke Lane @ Jan 14 2006, 09:33 AM)</div>

So you did - :rolleyes: - I stand corrected.

<!--QuoteBegin-arthurarnell@Jan 15 2006, 01:18 AM
    Incidentally in the early sequences an actor named Abdullah makes an appearance he is about 6-5 tall and doesn't say a word. Apparently he was real Arab and Victor McLaglen's adopted son.

[snapback]25374[/snapback]

Arthur, how do you know these things? :o

BTW, have you seen this movie, and do you own a copy?

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Be sure to catch The Duke in action this weekend on Turner Classic Movies' Memorial Day Marathon:

All times listed as Central Standard Time:

1. Sands of Iwo Jima (Friday, 9:15pm)
    2. Fighting SeaBees (Saturday, 3:15pm)
    3. They Were Expendable (Sunday, 9:30am)
    4. Back to Bataan (Monday, 9:15am)
    5. In Harm's Way (Monday, 4:00pm)
    6. The Longest Day (Monday, 7:00pm)

I can't wait!

TCM Memorial Day Marathon

• Welcome to the site & glad to see another Texan here. I plan on watching all of them if possible. I wonder if AMC is also going to hvae a Memorial Day Marathon?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@May 22 2006, 02:20 PM
    Welcome to the site & glad to see another Texan here. I plan on watching all of them if possible. I wonder if AMC is also going to hvae a Memorial Day Marathon?

[snapback]31513[/snapback]

No offense Carl but I hope not!! I don't think I can sit and wait through all the commercials all day!!!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Howdy All,
    I don't know if you would want to include it here, but "Men Without Women" is, I think, a World War One film, and not a bad on either. It does feature a very young John Wayne in a brief bit part, but it is a speaking part. I believe he plays a radioman. I haven't seen the film in quite a while, and then only once. I guess I should get it out, dust it off, and watch it again.
    Best,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.