The Man From Utah (1934)

There are 28 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 31,648 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE MAN FROM UTAH

DIRECTED BY ROBERT NORTH BRADBURY
    PRODUCED BY PAUL MALVERN
    LONE STAR PRODUCTIONS
    MONOGRAM PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    The Marshal sends John Weston to a rodeo to see if he can find out
    who is killing the rodeo riders
    who are about to win the prize money.
    Barton has organized the rodeo and plans to leave
    with all the prize money put up by the townspeople.
    When it appears that WestoAn will beat Barton's rider,
    he has his men prepare the same fate for him that befell the other riders.

Full Cast
    John Wayne .... John Weston
    Polly Ann Young .... Marjorie Carter
    Anita Campillo .... Dolores
    George 'Gabby' Hayes .... Marshal George Higgins (as George Hayes)
    Yakima Canutt .... Cheyenne Kent
    Edward Peil Sr. .... Spike Barton (as Ed Peil)
    George Cleveland .... Sheriff
    Lafe McKee .... Judge Carter
    Silver Tip Baker .... Townsman (uncredited)
    Gordon De Main .... Bartender (uncredited)
    Earl Dwire .... Rodeo announcer (uncredited)
    Sam Garrett .... Pendleton Rodeo Performer (archive footage) (uncredited)
    Herman Hack .... Henchman (uncredited)
    Perry Murdock .... Bank robber (uncredited)
    Artie Ortego .... Henchman (uncredited)
    Tex Palmer .... Stage driver (uncredited)
    Tex Phelps .... Henchman (uncredited)
    Archie Ricks ... Stage Driver (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Lindsley Parsons story and screenplay

Original Music
    Lee Zahler (uncredited)

Cinematography
    Archie Stout

Stunts
    Yakima Canutt .... stunts (uncredited)
    Eddie Parker .... stunts (uncredited)
    Gil Perkins .... stunts (uncredited)

Goofs
    * Continuity: When riding Dynamite, the competitors are obvious 'stunt doubles'. Cheyenne has two 'stunt doubles' - only one wears a hat (the hat is lighter in colour and of a different style to Cheyenne's dark hat), neither wears a vest whereas Cheyenne does, both have numbers on their backs whereas Cheyenne does not. Weston's 'stunt double' has a hat of a different style and has a number on his back which Weston does not.

* Revealing mistakes: The rodeo announcer uses a megaphone throughout the event, even though loudspeakers are clearly seen in the grandstands.

* Revealing mistakes: A sign spelling out CALGARY STAMPEDE backwards can be seen in the rodeo footage.

* Continuity: The vegetation and geology near the river that Weston and Spike Barton fall into is different to the country through which they have been riding.

* Continuity: The background behind the rodeo announcer differs depending upon whether it is a long shot or a close shot.

* Continuity: In the bulldogging competition, the competitors are obvious 'stunt doubles'. Cheyenne's 'stunt double' is not wearing a vest, has a hat of a different style, and has a number on his back. Similarly Weston's 'stunt double' also has a hat of a different style, and has a number on his back which Weston does not.

* Anachronisms: The film is supposed to be set in the old West, but a sign appears in the background when Weston goes to prevent the bank robbery, announcing a Rodeo on May 1st 1932.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California, USA
    Owens River, Lone Pine, California, USA

Watch the Full Movie:-

The Man From Utah

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 12 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Man from Utah is a 1934 Western movie starring
    John Wayne, Polly Ann Young (sister of Loretta Young), Lafe McKee,
    Edward Peil Sr., and stuntman–actor Yakima Canutt.
    The film was written by Lindsley Parsons and directed by Robert N. Bradbury.

I am biased towards, these Lone Star films.
    I enjoy all of them, for all their whirlwind, few days, low budget filming,
    they are a joy, and fun to watch.
    It is great to see Duke maturing in his career, and by the end of the series,
    his cadence is lower, and more mature.
    Throughout this series there were some fine character actors,
    and this one, is no exception, with Gabby, Yak, George Cleveland,
    and Lafe McKee, adding their professional touch.

hqdefault.jpg

User Review

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• This was one of the first of the Lone Star films we ever saw, and it was quite watchable.

Like yourself, I've come to really enjoy these older films, also. They are in a class of their own. It's really fun seeing the Duke in that youthful era. Ironically, our 17 year old son look very much like the Duke in his younger years . . . let's see, with the right hat . . . . :o

This one had a plot a little easier to follow than some of the older ones.

I have also enjoyed Gabby Hayes' involvement in many of these.

Chester :newyear:

• Memorable Quotes

John Weston: Before I could get either one to spill anything, the whole gang jumped me...
    and I had to carve myself a fast walking stick.

Marshal George Higgins: It seems mighty funny to me that every time this gang organizes a rodeo,
    their own men win all the first prizes. When it begins to look like an outsider is going to win, he gets sick.
    Two or three has even died from it.
    John Weston: Well, you can't arrest them for that, Marshal.
    Marshal George Higgins: No, maybe not. But it's might peculiar that when these outsides fall off them top broncs,
    they're suffering from snakebite. I tell ya, it just ain't natural.
    John Weston: What do you want me to do? Get snake bit?

INFORMATION IMDb

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have several of the "Young Duke" DVD's and this film is on one of them.I quite like these old films,make me laugh sometimes because they can be so predictable.But I can imagine people back in them days sitting in the theatre and cheering Duke.I know I would have done so!!!!!The only thing I'm not so fond of in this film is the rodeo as it shows it's from the newsreel or whatever.The same rodeo pops back up in another film I think but don't ask me which one.

• Hi,
    While researching the 'Pals of the Sadlle' biogs, I came across something
    no one seems to have picked up on.
    Duke's love interest in this movie was Polly Ann Young,
    sister of Loretta Young.
    It is noticeable, that there is chemistry between Duke
    and his leading lady.
    A few years earlier Duke was dating Polly Ann,
    at the same time, Grant Withers, was with Loretta,
    and that's when those two lifelong friends, met.

Grant Withers link:-

Pals Of The Saddle-Grant Withers

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by Moonshine_Sally@Jan 25 2006, 09:19 PM
    But I can imagine people back in them days sitting in the theatre and cheering Duke.I know I would have done so!!!!!The only thing I'm not so fond of in this film is the rodeo as it shows it's from the newsreel or whatever.The same rodeo pops back up in another film I think but don't ask me which one.

[snapback]25942[/snapback]

Hi Sally,
    The main thing because I so like these old films - I feel myself as I'm sitting in this old theater and the wold outside my room is much more predictable, full of hopes and beliefs. And the values of it are much more understandable.
    The same rodeo footage is in Desrt Trail I guess. I was interested in the other question about the breed of one horse that was shown there very shortly - it is look like achal-teke horse, but I have no idea how it can be there.
    Regards,
    Senta

• "The Man From Utah"? New to me. What's up with John Wayne being a singin cowboy at the beginning? Great flick! And Lone Star Pictures - new tome.

P.S. - Today is the anniversary of my Dad passing away. He didn't give me much - but he schooled me on John Wayne - dear to my heart.

• Here are four posters from the film, the third a 1939 re-release poster, and the fourth a 1949 re-release. The first one is a color version of what is shown in Keith's first post in this thread.

• Senta,

Sorry I didn't see your question sooner. It's a little harder to see posts you haven't read, if a few days go by, without going through each forum.

Anyway . . . the photos of the posters came from Les Adams, a long time John Wayne fan, and more importantly, a real expert on all things JW. He graciously gave permission for us to share them here. Personally, I probably own 3 or 4 reproductions of posters.

As Arthur stated in another thread, many of these posters are works of art in their own right. I wish I had more wall space :cry2:!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the pictures.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Vera

Now that I have the hang of this new fangled picture thing over the next few weeks I'll show which posters I have thay are easilly capable of being reproduced and if anyone is interested they can alway let me know.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low