The Quiet Man (1952)

There are 470 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 388,221 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Arthur, if you like to go to Quiet Man County so will it be west Ireland in County Mayo and County Galway. That small village Cong is in south County Maya.
    Len :hyper:

• Hello all

My apologies if this questions have been answered already.
    In Reelclasics.com,
    "Ford ends THE QUIET MAN with a curtain call acknowledging the film's fine company of character actors and concludes with a shot of Mary Kate whispering SOMETHING in Sean's ear before they run back across the creek and away from the camera toward White O'Morn. The subject of endless speculation, according to O'Hara only Wayne, Ford and herself know what she whispered. Ford and Wayne are both deceased, and O'Hara says she's not telling."

I would like to know what line Mary Kate whispered to Sean.
    Best Wishes,
    sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• The subject of endless speculation, according to O'Hara only Wayne, Ford and herself know what she whispered. Ford and Wayne are both deceased, and O'Hara says she's not telling."

I would like to know what line Mary Kate whispered to Sean.

Sanada,

You are in GOOD company, but I am afraid none of us will ever know. Maureen O'Hara, in her autobiography 'Tis Herself, says the secret will die with her. She'll never tell.

Chester :newyear:

• Here comes a short quote from CNN Larry King Live 2, an interview with Maureen O'Hara. Aired January 2, 2003 - 21:00 ET. That is not a really answer about what she was whispering to Wayne but that is maybe so close you may come.

KING: Tell me about these commentaries you've been doing for some DVD editions of films. They release a DVD and you appear on it to talk about it, John Wayne kind of movies?
    O'HARA: Yes. There's one on "Rio Grande," which was the movie we did to raise the money to make "The Quiet Man," because we couldn't get finance. I think I have told you this before. And also on "The Quiet Man." So there's two DVDs out now. They're pretty good.
    KING: I want to talk about John Wayne. We understand you're going to tell us something that you didn't tell us last time about what you whispered to him.
    O'HARA: Oh, not on your life.
    KING: You're not going to tell it now.
    O'HARA: No. Never, never, never.
    KING: Last scene of "The Quiet Man" Maureen's character whispers something in the ear of John Wayne's character. Whatever she said apparently shocked Wayne because his head jerked back and his eyes grows wide with disbelief. Wayne never told anyone what she said and John Ford the director never did either.
    O'HARA: That was the deal. When John Ford said you are to say so and so To Wayne, I said, what? Me? No way. And he said, you're being ordered to do it. You do it. And I realized it was nothing I could do. When you try to battle with John Ford, you have to give in. And I said, well there's one stipulation. That you will never tell anybody what it is that you demanded that I say. And, John Wayne will never tell. And the three of us made the deal.
    KING: So it was (UNINTELLIGIBLE) to what you are. One can imagine it was sexual or cursing or both?
    O'HARA: Little bit of both.
    KING: And Wayne did not know you were going to say it?
    O'HARA: No. Didn't you see the look on his face when he turns around.
    KING: That's one of the most famous endings of movies ever, right. So that must have been the question asked of you. That movie was such a big hit.
    O'HARA: Everybody asks me. Even my lawyer in New York asked me the day before yesterday. I said I'm tired telling you, never. Duke is dead.
    KING: Was it nervous for you to say it?
    O'HARA: It was awful. I hated it.
    KING: Did you only have to say it once?
    O'HARA: Only once. Not twice. Well, you wouldn't get the reaction.

Len

• I often reckoned like others that it was along those lines but the great thing is that it upto everyone's imagination to guess what the words were as it will never be revealed.

Mike

• On the Flying Trip that I took Duke on back in the 1970s to the Hearst Wyntoon Ranch, and at the Cock-Tail Time at the Old Ranch House, Williiam R. Hearst jr. ask Duke What Maureen had said to Him in the Last Scene of the Film "The Quiet Man" and Duke Said "I can't tell You That, This is Mixed Company, and it would Shock These Ladys !"

Bill Hearst jr. said "Come on Duke We are All Grown-Ups Here and have Heard just about Everything !"

Duke Said "OK but I am going to Clean it up a Little Bit," at that time Even these Fancy Ladys Moved Closer to Duke !

Duke Said " Ford had told Maureen to Say Something in words that Maureen Would Never Say To Me or Anyone Else, Just to Get a Surpised Look on My Face, and Boy it did the Trick. Now I am going to Clean it up a Little."

Maureen Said Someting Like This "Lets Go Back to House and Make Babys !"

Then Duke Said "Now You Put The Bad Word in Yourself Where You Want It? Pappy Sure was a Mean Old Cuss, But He always Got The Job Done !!!"

Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• chester7777,lenrehn,Dukepilgrim,William T Brooks
    Thanks so much all the help you have given me a nice information.
    It was very interesting to read JWMB menmber's advices.
    JWMB is excellent. I'm looking forward to reading this forum.
    Hope discussion on this topic has not stopped.
    But William T Brooks got a solusion by Duke. waoh!
    In my opinion, John Ford maybe ordered Irish rough joking line to her,
    maybe something what William T Brooks concerned.

At any rate,secret is secret.
    Like the line"Print the Legend"from Liberty Valance,It's O.K. if Mary Kate
    does not want to tell us the truth.

Thanks again,
    sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• I have not seen too many people posting in this thread actually say how they would rate this movie. As for me, I have seen it about 10 times over the years and have always liked the cast as well as parts of the movie. Im sorry and will go against the grain and say that it aint one of my top 50 favorite Duke movies. Im not saying its bad but, if this were showing against a Duke Western or War movie, i;d have to choose one of those over this one.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I have not seen too many people posting in this thread actually say how they would rate this movie.

I can tell you that every year, when Hondo does the Top 25 John Wayne Movies survey, The Quiet Man has always been in the top 10, and probably the top 3 or 5, every year, if that's any indication how folks rate it.

Personally, I would give it a 10 out of 10.

• That’s right Chester. The Quiet Man is very popular even here in Europe. Hondo is not a bad film but I think TQM is best of all classic movies.
    Len

• I can tell you that every year, when Hondo does the Top 25 John Wayne Movies survey, The Quiet Man has always been in the top 10, and probably the top 3 or 5, every year, if that's any indication how folks rate it.

Personally, I would give it a 10 out of 10.

Looks like quite a good rating for Q.M. I don't know, maybe I just can't stand romantic movies? Take Pearl Harbor a a good example of what I mean. That movie would have been a much better one, had the romance scenes been shortened or deleted all together.

I know, I know, im (ot) :teeth_smile:

• Looks like quite a good rating for Q.M. I don't know, maybe I just can't stand romantic movies? Take Pearl Harbor a a good example of what I mean. That movie would have been a much better one, had the romance scenes been shortened or deleted all together.

I know, I know, im (ot) :teeth_smile:

I agree. I saw Pearl Harbor at the cinema and thought it was overlong and boring. I wasn't a fan of Ben Affleck then. Tora, Tora, Tora! is still a better movie.

• Tora Tora Tora and Midway both. Im no Affleck fan but will still watch him in something if tis good enough. But for Quiet Man, I don't know what about it other than the romance, that just does not appeal to me like it does to others. I mean, the Irish countryside is beautiful and all, and the actors were great but, I guess im just so used to Duke in other roles; that make me not like this one so much?

• One of my top 5 favorite Duke movies. Period. I'm Irish...I love Guinness.
    I absolutely love Mildred Natwick's character, Mrs. Sarah Tillane. She is really great.
    Watch her carefully, she steals each scene with her facial expressions alone. I saw her in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Trouble with Harry" over the weekend. Mildred has made it onto my top ten list of actresses between 1939 and 1965 (the year Hollywood stopped being great).

• Hi All
    What can i say about that Mildred Natwick should have been a scene thief? She made a great performer like all actors did in The Quiet Man. But in this picture was only one person known as a great scene thief and that was Barry Fitzgerald. Look on him in Going My Way
    Len

• A 17 page thread about "The Quiet Man"? :hyper: "The JWMB has become another word for heaven to me."

Something I've always wondered about: just before the big fight Danaher and the boys are bringing in the hay. But what is that contraption with the fire inside? And why would they want a fire at all? What could they possibly be burning in a meadow full of dry hay? :huh:

• Seaneen,

The contraption you ask about is an old fashioned steam tractor. In addition to pulling and plowing, the big wheels on the sides were connected to machines via large belts and used to provide power for operating them. These would be things like bailers and lifts.

You can't tell from the way it's setup in the scene but it's possible they would have had a hay wagon hooked up to the back of it from bringing in hay. There aren't any belts on the wheels so they wouldn't have been using it to power other machinery.

Anyway, that's what it is and welcome to the best board on the web!

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• A 17 page thread about "The Quiet Man"? :hyper: "The JWMB has become another word for heaven to me."

Something I've always wondered about: just before the big fight Danaher and the boys are bringing in the hay. But what is that contraption with the fire inside? And why would they want a fire at all? What could they possibly be burning in a meadow full of dry hay? :huh:

WELCOME to the John Wayne Message Board, the best of its kind on the 'net!

One great thing about this place is there is almost always someone who has the answer to anyone's questions! A more knowledgeable, friendly bunch you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere.

Don't be a stranger, Seaneen! We look forward to seeing you again - soon!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1: