Happiness Is A.........................

There are 54 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 12,872 times. The latest Post () was by Jay J. Foraker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I couldn't help but share this to anyone out there who is a Cat-lover. :):)

My Cat - Shasta, had two kittens 4-weeks ago. One is white with a few black spots and has long hair. The other is a light cream and white color-blue eyes and has extremely thick fur.

Anyway, I like to spend time in the mornings and evenings sitting on the front porch with my cats. Well, you all know that kittens are very skittish until they "get used to you."

Well, last night I was sitting on said porch drinking some Dr. Pepper and enjoying the evening breeze. Last time I had looked at the cats, Shasta was feeding them and were lying some several feet away from me. Next thing I know is that I felt some tiny "tugs" on the back of my shirt. One of the kittens finished eating and had for the first time, approached me and started trying to climb up the back of my shirt.

Im ticklish so you can imagine what I was going through. Well, said kitten did not have the strength to climb all the way up my back and slid down--with tiny claws extended. I snaked my left-hand slowly behind my back and the thumb and forefinger were immediate targets for said kitten to start licking and lightly biting.

Said kitten remained in action but after awhile; got tired and sleepy. My hand was still behind my back when said kitten decided to lay down in the palm of my hand and quickly fell asleep. It was funny to feel this tiny critters warm breath every few seconds--flowing across my thumb and forefinger.

Anyway, hapiness is a warm kitten as Snoopy the dog, used to say. :D

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• hello all
    that sure is a pleasant scene to picture. I hope that porch gets lots of that kind of use. murray

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Speaking of kittens . . .

We have two cats, litter mates born last June, who got "in the family way" around the same time, and gave birth within 4 days of each other. Mama #1 hopped into the box and was "assisting" Mama #2 when it was her time. We now have . . . a DOZEN :fear2: kittens. The mamas are very close, and so all the kitties are in the same big heap, and growing by leaps and bounds. The kitties are around 2 weeks old now, and eyes are open and they are starting to climb around a little. It is a pretty exciting time around here for our younger kids, but in about 4 weeks it's gonna be pretty wild!

Mrs. C :angel1:

P.S. Anybody want a kitten? Cute little kitten, raised in a John Wayne loving home? :D

• Thanks Murray, Chester & The Mrs.

Murray, yup, that porch gets that kind of useage from me at least twice a day. Again last night, the furrier kitten fell asleep on my hand and then the less furier one came over--tried playing with her brother but the brother did not budge. Sooooooooo, she quit trying to play and laid down on the rest of my hand and fell asleep. I couldn't keep rom laughing. Shortly later, Shasta-the mom, came over and woke them both by giving them a bath. I only went inside because I was hungry and needed to get some supper started.

The Mrs, thanks for that story. A long time ago, we once had 8 or 9 adult cats as well as about 30 or so kittens. I was about 7 at that time and never had so much fun. I'd go in the backyard--where they all stayed, and would lie down on the carpet grass and just wait to get swamped with cats and kittens. Sadly, we wound up having to give many of them away as the food cost was more than we could afford at that time. We still kept all the adult cats as well as 3 or 4 of the kittens. :rolleyes:

• hi ringo

lovely story about your little family used to love cats but now i have a dislike for all who own cats and are not responsible cat owners not you or mrs c you both sound like you are responsible cat owners, are you keeping them or are they going to good homes your havent said. mrs c hope you can find good homes for the tribe that now reside with you and yours. have been having troubles with cats around my place and i dont even have one they climb up my flyscreens on the windows have fights in the front yard and on the whole are just a pest.

lived with my sister for some time when i was single and she had a cat a lovely animal she was, when my sister told me she was expecting her son i decided to train the cat so she wouldnt use her claws on the baby did a great job teased the life out of her and every time i could i pulled her tail and such so that when she went for me i would tap her paw and said to her no claws the cat learned and until our just was 5 she never scratched him. she was a one of a kind and was sorely missed when she died but about 6mths later i went out and bought our just another one she is completely different to the old girl very shy, she is fixed so we dont have the problem like mrs c of kittens by the truck load, she has 2 cats now both are inside cats are only allowed outside under supervision. in some states here we have a curfew for cats and any caught outside after sundown are deemed to be feral unless the are chipped then it costs you a packet to get them out of the pound.

glad that they are coming to you have fun while it lasts what sort of cat is mum

till later hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Smokey my dear, loved reading your posting. My Cat Shasta is of mixed breed but has long hair. Shasta is mostly white in color with one brownish-grayish fist-sized spot on her left side. The same color mix is on her ears, her face, her tail and a little bit on her neck.

I found her when she was abandoned at the apartment complex I live in. This was about 2 or so years ago and one day I was walking by some stairs on my way to do some laundry when I spotted her on the stairs. I got my laundry started and I went back to see if the kitten was still on the stairs. She was and I could see her shivering even though it was very warm then. Every time I tried to approach her she scampered away as fast as possible. (Of course I did not blame her for her reactions.)

Well, I let her alone and went about my business doing my laundry and finished it. I was on the way back to my apartment with the loads and I again stopped at those stairs to see this beautiful kitten. With a free hand, I reached out not to try touching her but to let her smell my hand to get used to me. This kittens VERY wet nose bumped timidly into my hand several times before she again scurried away.

I took my laundry home to put away and then laft the apartment to go find a place to have some lunch with my roommate. I noticed on my way out the door, that this kitten was still where I had last seen her--still looking very frightened. I decided to leave her alone and thought that if she were still there when we got back, that I would try to feed her something.

A few hrs later we got back and--that kitten was still there. I had saved part of my meal on purpose so I could have something to give to that kitten. I had some Turkey left over from lunch and took it to her. I placed it several inches in front of her and went to the stairs that lead to my place. I sat down and watched her slowly approach the turkey and it did not take long but, she wolfed it down.

Next I found a spare bowl filling it with water, and placed it near her so she could drink. Before I could set the bowl down, this kitten was trying to take a drink--almost forgetting that I was there. Apparently she had not had any food or water for quite sometime. While she drank, I gently touched her and started petting her. I let her back away not making any attempt to stop her -- which I think was best. This kitten warmed up to me very quickly.

I picked her up to bring her to my apartment building but, after about 6 seconds off the ground--she started getting scared and was meowing--so I placed her on the ground and let her go. The kitten ran away in fright so i went to go sit at the top of the stairs. I placed the remaining small pieces of turkey on the stairs leading up to my apartment. After several minutes passed, this kitten knew where the food was at and timidly found every piece and ate it.

To make a long story short, it took only a day or two for me to "tame" this kitten and since then she has officially been my cat. Shasta still hates to be picked up except for a few seconds. I am also the only one who she will let pick her up. About 2 weeks later, I took her to get her shots and the rest is history. Shasta is a GREAT Cat as well as a great friend.

This cat greets me every time I get back home and I never tire of her greetings. :):):D

• I must update you on the kitten story. Three days ago, we found four wild kitties in our yard, seeminly only about a week older than our kittens. Thankfully, our 17 year old son spent a little time, and got the mama kitties to accept the four wild kittens, so now we have . . . SIXTEEN :fear2: . . . kittens in our bathroom!! The next three to four weeks are going to be very interesting, to say the least!

• Boy Mrs. C You and Chester have more Guts than I do, 16 Kittens in the Bathroom? :fear:

I was never was to hot on Cats, I was more of a Doberman Pincher man myself , but my Dear Wife Martha was a Cat Lover. :rolleyes:

And at the Ranch over in Your part of the Country at Paso Robles we had a Spotted One Half Wild Cat with no Tail and long rear legs, and when I went to give my Sweetheart a Kiss the Cat would hunch all up and Hiss at me and look like She was going to Eat Me Alive! :fear2: She thought that She was "Martha's Guard Cat." :angry:

So Martha and I would have to go into the other room and do that Kissing thing. :)

This was at the time they were doing all those 007 Movies so my Wife named her "Pussy Galore" after the the Girl in the James Bond Film because She was so tough, and knew how to handle 007 James Bond!!! :D

Chilibill :cowboy:

• I also have an up-date on my cat's two kittens :(:(:( Sometime early Monday morning, some sicko took one of the kittens (the white one with black spots who was now named: Pepper) and choked it to death and threw her body behind one of the air-conditioning units near my apt building. :angry::angry::angry:

I just cannot believe how someone could have so much hate and do this to anything--let alone a defenseless 5 week old kitten. :angry::angry::angry:

Originally posted by chester7777@Apr 30 2006, 11:04 AM
    :cry2::cry2: Ringo, I am SO sorry to hear about your kitty! Sick, sick, sick! :cry2::cry2:

[snapback]30912[/snapback]

Thank you for the support Chester & The Mrs--it does help.

I too cried for this cat as she never had a chance at a full life that she SHOULD have had. Soon I will be making plans to possibly find another place to live--one where my cats will not be bothered. Shasta still cries at the loss. I hear her in the middle of the night sometimes. During the day when I can spend some time with her outside--she will sit next to me and will just stare at the area where her kitten was found. :(:(:(

Best regards from a VERY sad Ringo Kid. :(:(

• Carl - I am so sorry to hear of your loss :cry2::cry2: . My wife and I have had a number of cats in our family over the years and most of them have had full lives. But when it was their time to go, it was still a very heart-rending time. Our current cat, Ginger, just turned seventeen in February and it will be a very tough time when she has to leave us. So I feel your loss also. :(
    Jay -_-

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@May 1 2006, 12:28 PM
    Carl - I am so sorry to hear of your loss :cry2::cry2: . My wife and I have had a number of cats in our family over the years and most of them have had full lives. But when it was their time to go, it was still a very heart-rending time. Our current cat, Ginger, just turned seventeen in February and it will be a very tough time when she has to leave us. So I feel your loss also. :(
    Jay -_-

[snapback]30937[/snapback]

Thank you Jay, I do greatly appreciate your kind words. 17 is an old age for a cat. When I was much younger, we had a female cat named Blacky. Blacky loved to lay out in the sun so much that over time, her black fur turned orange. Blacky lived to 18 and had been going deaf. This cat died while trying to cross the street and was hit by a car because she could not hear it coming.

About 10 years ago I had another black cat--who was named Shadow. I was in the hospital for three weeks so I had to have someone take care of him while I was gone. (Sigh) well, while I was gone, said caretaker did not take good care of him and he ran away. I never did see my cat again. :(

This time I am around most of the time and I spend as much time as possible with Shasta and her remaining kitten. At my complex, some of my neighbors have given me the nickname of: The Sentinel--because I sit on the porch every morning--late afternoon and or evening--messing around with my cats. :) I can't wait to get home and see them. Every time I leave---my cat follows me down the stairs and down the sidewalk. When I get home, she comes halfway down the stairs to greet me and I pet her for at least 5 or so minutes before I am allowed by Shasta, to go upstairs. :)

• I know I'm bringing up old posts, but there is a lot of good information to be read and I think it needs to be read again. I've never had many pets since I moved out, but my boys were outside playing one day and they found a kitten trapped underneath an old house. They brought it in and it was skittish at first, but once it warmed up to us, it turned into a very good pet. I know cats are supposed to be graceful, but this is the clumsiest cat I have ever seen. Just the other day, this cat was laying on the back of our couch and when he stretched, he fell off the couch head first into an old wooden wagon we keep beside the couch. He just shook it off and walked away.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Hi All

I know this will sound silly but in a judge of character I have always found that the way people treat animals tend to be a barometer of what they are like as a person.

Animal lovers Nice People Animal Haters Ones to avoid.

Its never been wrong yet.

Mike

• I think Mike is correct about people who love animals. I tend to spoil both my cats as often as possible. They do get fresh meat 2-3 times a week. Also, going out to eat as often as I seem to maage to do, I always take home some of my meal to share with the cats. I also give them a choice in eating meals a few times a week by giving them some canned food along with some dry food. Both seem pretty happy for what they get. I get irritated tho-when the darn pidgeons land on the balcony and eat as much of the cats food as they can (this is of course, when the cats are wondering out in the yard and not protecting their food.

Now, as for the large male cat I have (I call him Mr. Kelly, named after the famous clown Emmett Kelly because he IS a clown) You have to see this cat, he is as clumsy as they come. For instance, he was playing with a cardboard box that was empty and someone has set it near the stairs leaving it unattended. I was coming out to feed the cats and saw Mr. Kelly just entering that box, someehow got stuck - panicked and rolled that box down half a flight of stairs and he jumped out of the box (in good working order ;) )) and ran up the steps and climbed up my leg till I had him in my hands and had to hold him for several moments till he calmed down. Mr. Kelly also loves to chase his tail - and sometimes catches it and lightly bites it - till he realizes its his one!

Another thing he does is when sleeping indoors, he likes to sleep right on the outer edge of my bed, and always falls off - never having time to use his claws. Geeze, I wonder what his mother thinks of him?

• ringo & gt12pack

sounds like you both have a cat that if given clown shoes would have just as much fun. just reading what they have done made me laugh. one of my sisters cats talks to her and will walk around crying what sounds like mum till she(the cat) finds her(my sister). the other cat just jumps up onto things knocks things off then looks at my sister as if to say that wasnt me mum really. her dog loves them but hates strange cats.

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"