Cowboy Hat

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,926 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Okay, dumb question. I love to wear my cowboy hats, but at the slightest breeze, they fly off my head. I watch the PBR and other stuff, and those other guys are flying around and it usually takes a fall to get that hat off their heads. Why can't I get my hat to stay on?

• Hi Harry00

Welcome to the board, I hope you stay and enjoy.
    I hope someone is going to answer that, because
    I am buying one when I get to Arizona next year,
    and I don't fancy doing as Ward Bond did in
    THE SEARCHERS, and tying it down. :o

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Stick it as hard on your head as you can, that's what I do when I'm riding my horses.

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Harry;

In the old days when on Horse Back we had a small Leather Chen - Strap with a Slip Knot and if you were in the Wind or Ridding hard your hat would stay on your head or just go to the back of your neck. :)

If you look at some of the old pictures of the Duke you can see the Chen - Strap hanging from hat on the back of His Neck out of the way and if He needed it He would bring it around if front under His Chen and tighten it and His hat would stay on. :rolleyes:

We have one of His work hats here at the Ranch that has the Chen - Strap still on the hat. :cowboy:

Later on some of the younger Cowboys thought it looked a little Sissy, and until they lost there hat enough times they would put one on also, and some would even use Tape to keep their hat on!!! :cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:

And if you look at Bek's picture of Duke above you can see part of the strap hanging just below His Ear :rolleyes:

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Or you can do what Harrison Ford did to keep his fedora on his head when making the Indiana Jones movies. Harrison Ford used a stapler and stapled his hat to his head. :fear2: Yowch!!!!! But apparently it worked. :)

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I've always worn a Resistol with a six inch brim, here in the TX panhandle it can be tricky. Sometimes impossible. Any way just pull 'er down tight or use a stampede strap. If you want to wear it loose you'll have to inside or stay out of the wind.
    Good luck

"Republic. I like the sound of that word"

Davy Crockett, The Alamo

• Just run a little velcro around the inside, it will stick to your hair and keep the hat on... thats what I used to help hold bows in my daughters hair when they where little... they never FELL off...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Out here on the Eastern Plains of Colorado, where the wind never stops blowing, I just jam my hat down on my head and it usually stays. I have lost it a couple of times, but not often.
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Originally posted by Bek@May 12 2006, 02:15 AM

Stick it as hard on your head as you can, that's what I do when I'm riding my horses.

[snapback]31209[/snapback]

Exactly what I do when I'm out riding

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Vera, if I could afford to buy you one--i'd get you a nice one from either The Running W Saddle Shop in Kingsville--or from Cavenders Boot City here in Corpus Christi. At either place you will spend a small forutne buying a Cowboy/girl hat--but is definately worth it.

Back in Sept 2000-before I went to Germany. I bought a nice black felt hat from Cavenders-to wear in Germany. Well, I wore it at the Franfurt airport and got many many compliments on it. Almost everywhere I wore it-I get compliments on it and sevferal people even wanted to have their picture taken while wearing my hat. I obliged.

Well, when we got to Lubeck-I wound up trading my hat to a German guy who looked like a Viking warrior who was dressed up like a biker who rides a Harley. This guy was about 6 ft 6 - 6 ft 8 tall-large beard and looked mean. Get this--he owned and operated a VERY nice Antiquataten und Militar shop on Breitestrasse.

I walked into that shop with my traveling companion and German friend-Frau Giehler. Susanne warned me not to spend more than about 15 minutes in that shop--or i'd wind up spending all my money there. (It would not have bothered me to have spend ever bit there had it not been that I needed to have money to travel on.)

The first room you walk into had all kinds of Imperial German Militaria there. At that time, I mainly collected the WWII stuff and was a bit dissappoined that no WWII stuff was to be seen. Little did I know but--it was all in the basement of his shop. I walked throught he next room and it was all glassware and silverware and I was not very interested there. The next room made my heart skip a few beats when I saw all the walls completely covered with swords, daggers and bayonets covering every inch of the walls. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I looked at the display cases which were covered with thousands upon thousands of period photos.

At that point, I definately was impressed with what was for sale but still dissappointed that I saw no WWII stuff. Herr Menzel led me to the basement where when I got there--my eyes almost popped out of my head at all the WWII stuff he had there. All the while this was going on--Susanne tried to keep me out of the basement because she knew I was going to go hog-wild there and pick out more than I should. Susanne was correct. I quickly within seconds--picked out at least $700.00 worth of insignia etc.

Prices then were very good and the US Dollar was 2.25 to the DM--so I got around $700.00 worht of Mil for about $225.00 cash. I paid the Gentleman his money and was about to leave when---I spotted a nice minty Luftwaffe Officers M-43 cap sitting on a shelf. I asked to see it (Susanne was frustrated with me by then and wanted to leave) and asked for as price on it. This cap in USD at that time was easily a $500.00 cap. Herr Menzels price was a little over $200.00. I could definately live with that.

Anyway, we were about to take the cap upstairs when Susanne spotted a Kriegsmarine Peacoat that she was interested in. I told Susanne (in a jokingly way) not to spend all her money here and that we needed to leave. Susanne wound up spending more money than I did. Anyway, she paid for the peacoat and we all went back upstairs.

As we were going back towards the front-I stopped in that room that had all the glass & silverware in it. I spotted three antique German schnapps glasses made of .888 silver and each had an enameled city crest on them. I asked how much and ws told $50.00 USD each. I said I was going to pass on that since I was still interestedd in the Luftwaffe cap.

Herr Menzel then indicated that he wanted to try on my cowboy hat and immediately put it on backwards. I grinned and placed it correctly on his head. He pushed the hat too far to the back of his head and I adjusted it to just over his eyes. He loved it and wanted to know if I'd sell or trade it. (Actually I was kinda tired of lugging it around and agreed to get rid of it)

Herr Menzel indicated an even trade for the Luft cap and the cowboy hat and I indicated no--that my cap cost me a lot. He then indicated that he'd do a trade for the Luft cap and throw in the set of antique schnapps glasses. (Actually I was not expecting THAT much but I agreed) I actually got about $900.00 ++ for an actual spending of about $300.00. I paid $90.00 + tax for the Cowboy hat as it was on sale at 60% off but it still had a $200.00 price tag in it's leather sweatband.

All-in-all, Herr Menzel made from us about $600.00 USD that day--in the period of about 30 minutes. He had indicated that normally his shop was not open on Saturdays but that he happened to be ther doing some paperwork. Lucky for all of us that he was open. We were all VERY satisfied with our deals--me most of all because--the stuff I got, was worth at least 2-3 times what I paid for it here in the USA. :)

• TRK, i loved the little story, however it was sure tough reading it. German WW2 insignia is what I collect and it is so hard to get here..its near impossible. Great finds my friend...lucky indeed.

-IHW

Originally posted by InHarmsWay@May 18 2006, 09:45 PM
    TRK, i loved the little story, however it was sure tough reading it. German WW2 insignia is what I collect and it is so hard to get here..its near impossible. Great finds my friend...lucky indeed.

-IHW

[snapback]31419[/snapback]

Hi IHW, thank you my friend. Also, I am glad to see another here who collects German Mil. I would like to "compare notes" with you on this soon. If you don't mind me asking but, what's your favorite type item to collect? For me it is Shoulderboards, Collar Tabs and Ribbon bars.

PS, I CAN help you with finding some good stuff if you want? Detlev Niemann, Carsten Baldes, Hermann & Hermann, Andre Husken and Black Cross Militaria are just a few who come to mind.