Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,379,236 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Agreed.

I also like Noel Edmonds but I lost a great deal of respect for him when he appeared on 'The Friday night project'. I don't know why he did it as his career is not flagging. I have never been able to watch a full episode of this trash but it seems week in week out it relies of camp humour and swearing to make an impact. Not my idea of Friday night entertainment.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Just finished watching "The Last Samurai" While I am not a huge Tom Cruise fan, I enjoyed this movie allot and now after seeing it twice. I can easily watching it again and again. It a easy purchase.

Like Todd, I saw this movie and thought it was a decent one for Cruise. Im not a Cruise fan either and even less now, since he has freaked out about his beliefs.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• The Day After Tomorrow

Thought it was a good, old, disaster movie, made recently!
    Kept looking outside at the rain, and as a result kept drinking more whisky,
    I wonder why??

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Sands of Iwo Jima. I watched Flags of Our Fathers couple days ago, so I had a urge to watch the Dukes version as well.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Todd, what is your impression of Clint Eastwoods movie? Is it worth watching? I still aint seen it yet. Also, will us likers of war movies be disappointed in this one for lack of fighting in the movie?

• Todd, what is your impression of Clint Eastwoods movie? Is it worth watching? I still aint seen it yet. Also, will us likers of war movies be disappointed in this one for lack of fighting in the movie?

It is a very good movie.There are some really decent war scenes and quite authentic as well, as far as equipment, uniforms, ect.....

It goes back and forth with flashbacks but it is not hard to follow nor is it excessive. I liked Saving Private Ryan just a tad bit more but it is worth watching.

I would wait on buying it as I am sure there will be a special edition coming out as there are no extras on this disc. It is because of the companion movie "Letters From Iwo Jima". Once that is released then we will probably see all the extras.

-John Wayne

• Hi Todd

I havent seen Clints 'Flags of Our Fathers yet' but how do you feel an older movie such as Dukes 'Sands of Iwo Jima' compares?

Duke's film had much more character development. They're both good movies - I'd be hard pressed to pick one if I had to. In "Flags" the emphasis is on the story behind Joe Rosenthal's famous photo of the flag-raising on Mt. Suribachi whereas "Sands" deals more with the human picture of the Marine invasion of Iwo Jima.

"Flags" has some of the bloodiest and most realistic battle scenes I've ever seen. Definitely not a picture for the squeamish, and small kids shouldn't watch it with their parents or they'll probably have nightmares.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Duke's film had much more character development. They're both good movies - I'd be hard pressed to pick one if I had to. In "Flags" the emphasis is on the story behind Joe Rosenthal's famous photo of the flag-raising on Mt. Suribachi whereas "Sands" deals more with the human picture of the Marine invasion of Iwo Jima.

"Flags" has some of the bloodiest and most realistic battle scenes I've ever seen. Definitely not a picture for the squeamish, and small kids shouldn't watch it with their parents or they'll probably have nightmares.

Also, Flags deals with the emotional side of the 3 guys that came back to the states to "assist" with the war bond effort and the effect of being called hereos when they didn't think of themselves that way at all.

I think Sands and Flags were 2 very different films about the same battle. I would have to say that as far as realism goes, Flags beats Sands, but I was drawn to the characters more in Sands then Flags.

-John Wayne

• It is a very good movie.There are some really decent war scenes and quite authentic as well, as far as equipment, uniforms, ect.....

It goes back and forth with flashbacks but it is not hard to follow nor is it excessive. I liked Saving Private Ryan just a tad bit more but it is worth watching.

I would wait on buying it as I am sure there will be a special edition coming out as there are no extras on this disc. It is because of the companion movie "Letters From Iwo Jima". Once that is released then we will probably see all the extras.

Hi Todd, thanks for letting me know on it. Ill have to rent a copy before buying. I also want to see Flyboys.

I don't know if it would be possible for me to compare Clints version with the Dukes since JWs version is the fictional story of the two and is how I would watch it as. Thats what gets me when new war movies come out is that people like me who read and do tons of research on WWII and war in general, that all too many times those types watch the movie for accuracy instead of entertainment.

However, I make an exception for SPR as well as Stalingrad, Die Brucke and Der Untergang and Stalingrad: Dogs Do You Want To Live Forever?. Some that are based on fact and should be looked at for accuracy are: Inside the Third Reich, The Bunker and Der Teufels General (both original and remakes) I also hear that Winter War is a very well made and truthful movie.

Back to Flags....

The accuracy on the uniforms is pretty darn good. Even in the previews for it, I noticed that the Marines uniforms were (though repo) very nice looking and accurate. They had that "Herringbone Twill" look to them which is absolutely correct. I did not get much of a chance to check out the accuracy of other uniform equipment items.

BTW, if anyone is interested in collecting WWII Marine uniforms, the herringbone twill uniform is one of the most difficult to get and are heavily faked.

• Hi Todd and Jim

Thanks for the feedback regarding 'Flags of our fathers', its a movie I will try in the future, I have enjoyed many of Clints directorial efforts in the past and this one by all accouts seems to be up there with his best.

Regards
    Robbie

• I have enjoyed many of Clints directorial efforts in the past and this one by all accouts seems to be up there with his best.

He has become quite an accomplished director - "Flags" is one of his best but I thoroughly enjoyed "Million Dollar Baby" and would rank it near the top of his directorial efforts.

De gustibus non est disputandum