Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,389,574 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Jim

Yes I agree with you. When it first came out everyone thought it was rubbish but its a film that grows on you helped by the score which reminds me of the Shostokovich Stalingrad Symphony.

It also helped that apart from Stallone and Caine the rest of the team were made up from professional International footballers. I even found myself cheering as the goals went in. Great.

Take care

regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Jim
    Yes I agree with you. When it first came out everyone thought it was rubbish but its a film that grows on you helped by the score which reminds me of the Shostokovich Stalingrad Symphony.
    It also helped that apart from Stallone and Caine the rest of the team were made up from professional International footballers. I even found myself cheering as the goals went in. Great.

I think that movie was just known as "Victory" over here in the States. That score was done by Bill Conti who is best known for his music for "Rocky." His music is an amalgam of styles including pop and jazz. I haven't seen the movie in awhile so can't ascribe the musical style relating to Shostakovich's Seventh (Was the nickname "Stalingrad" or "Leningrad?"). At any rate, the best recording of this was the one Bernstein did in Chicago. One of the percussionists in our orchestra at that time was playing second snare drum in that recording - though not in the score, Lenny thought that the additional snare drum would make the performance more intense!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

Another one of my all time favourites Horatio Hornblower. A lot of the film was shot in Portsmouth Naval Base using HMS Victory as a background. I went in an antique shop some years ago and bought the press book for the film. The antique dealer told me that as a boy his father had taken him into the Base and he had met Gregory Peck.

Some of the Riggers I later worked with can be seen climbing the ratlines.

Apparently during the shooting the weather was cold and Rhonda Fleming apparently spent most of the day huddled in a blanket.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• The last non-western I saw was yesterday when TCM actually was playing somehting along my alley-a War Movie that I had never seen before. This movie starred Paul Muni who I had never seen before in a movie but had heard of him before. The excellent movie I saw was called: The Commandos Strike At Dawn. Needless to say, im now a fan of Paul Muni.

BTW, this is one of only three movies made that I can think of and or have seen, that was made about the Norwegian Resistance movement in WWII. The two others are: The Heroes Of Telemark & Edge Of Darkness.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Do you like it? I remember watching it a while ago - and I didn't/ I like the play from my childhood - I've read almost all Shakespeare plays from 7 to 10 and his historical chronics was always amoung my favorites. All his plays are so modern in their ideas, but this film - not. Or may be I'm mistaken and mischarged it.
    Have you seen Russian versions of Hamlet and King Leare (Sorry if it is not right spelling - read it only in Russian)? I think these was great movies.

• Hi Vera

I must admit that when i saw the film aged aboutfifteen for the first time I didn't like it at first because I thought that Olivier would treat it as a play such as he did for Othello, but when they left Southampton and the play became a film, I warmed to it.

I watched it because I bought a double set of Olivier DVDs Henry V and Hamlet. Likewise with Henry V when I was about six my brother took me to see Hamlet. We seemed to queue up for hours and when we eventually got to see the film I thought it was dreadful. Later I warmed to it and will watch it again.

I must admit I haven't seen the other versions.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Also watched late last night: Tango & Cash w/ Sylvester Stallone, Kurt Russsell and Walter (Jack) Palance. Also includes Michael J. Pollard and Geoffrey Lewis.

• We were on a mini Annie binge, having watched the 1982 version with Carol Burnett and Albert Finney last week, and the 1999 Disney made-for-TV version this week.

Our preference? Definitely the 1982 version. The '99 version was OK, but paled in comparison to the earlier one . . . at least in our opinion.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• "Zodiac" - based on the story of the serial killer stalking people in California from the late sixties into the seventies. Pretty episodic rendering that bored me to tears in some sections.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Late last night, I tried to watch "Snakes On A PLane" and what I did watch, just happened to make me feel that it was a total waste of time and that this movie is one of THE dumbest movies I have ever seen. I'd post why but can't due to the nature of the subject matter.

Slither was just as stupid as Snakes. THANKFULLY, I got to see a complete episode of COMBAT before going to bed-so my disgust at stupidness, was erased.