Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,396,537 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, I watched Secretariat and thought it was great. And, because Ward was in it, (turned out not much, but a very different part than he usually plays), the remake of Riding High with all the same people in it. Bing Crosby was the star and the owner of Broadway Bill. Nice movie and lots of good horse action as was Secretariat. Secretariat has some really good extras on the DVD I got from Netflix. Has the original footage of all the Triple Crown races including the unbelievable Belmont, the longest and most ardurous of the TC races. And this horse finished something like 33 lengths ahead of a horse that was supposed to have great stamina. I believe, any other year, that horse would have won the TC. His and his owner's bad luck that Penny Chennery was able to keep her horse running....she is the original woman who raised him and fought against tremendous odds to keep him. All the rest of mine have been Westerns!
    Oh, Forgot They Were Expendable. That is the movie Ford wrote a special part into for Ward because he still couldn't walk without a crutch and he needed money badly. Most of the movie, he does his parts just standing. Then, he is wounded in the leg allowing him to lead the men off with a crutch at the end of the movie. Duke was his usually great self! KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• How are the Sonny Chiba street fighter DVDs? I love a good 70s matrial arts film with dubious dubbing and bright red stage blood but unbelievably haven't seen these!

Then I suggest you check out the Classic Sonny Chiba Collection.

This is easily the best I have seen the trilogy presented on a cheap set. All three are letterboxed, with decent picture quality, although the second one is of poorer quality which is noticeable during the night scenes.

This set also has 7 other movies in which Chiba either stars or is featured.

Unfortunately (Or fortunately, depending on your preference) they are all dubbed. However this set is not subtitled.

Then ten movies are
    Street Fighter Trilogy (Awesome set) *
    Sister Street Fighter (Have to admit that I have a huge crush on Etsuko [Sue] Shihomi) *
    The Bodyguard (Once you get past the cheesy opening inserted to appease american audiences, it gets awesome. Chiba seems as if he took some ritalin or something. He's calm, cool, and relaxed. But still awesome)*
    Legend of the Eight Samurai (Can't comment on this one)
    Samurai Reincarnation (Can't say about the picture quality of this version, but I enjoy the movie)
    Shogun's Ninja (Chiba and Ninjas that should tell you everything)*
    Dragon Princess (Stars my favorite Sue Shihomi as girl out to avenge the death of her father played by Chiba)
    Karate Warriors (Chiba plays two rival gangs against each other in order to eliminate them)*

Ones marked * are widescreen.

However I just realized that you are not in the region one area (So disregard the above), which means you have a much better option for the street fighter trilogy. Presented in all of its remastered glory and original language (Subtitled of course), I present to you Optimum's Street Fighter Trilogy.

I really need to get a region free DVD player.

• Thanks Lt Brannigan for the detailed info, much appreciated.
    Looks like for once I won't be buying the US release.
    9 times out of 10 the US releases blow ours away on everything from disc content to cover design!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Thanks Lt Brannigan for the detailed info, much appreciated.
    Looks like for once I won't be buying the US release.
    9 times out of 10 the US releases blow ours away on everything from disc content to cover design!

When it comes to Chiba, you guys got it good. Makes me green with envy. However if you need any more info on Chiba releases I will be glad to help.

• Crazy, Stupid Love with Steve Carell, Julieann Moore, and Ryan Gosling. Just a cute silly and sometimes funny comedy. Maybe over 16 would be acceptable with the PG13.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Crazy, Stupid Love with Steve Carell, Julieann Moore, and Ryan Gosling. Just a cute silly and sometimes funny comedy. Maybe over 16 would be acceptable with the PG13.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

I actually have to admit to enjoying this film too!
    My wife made me watch it but we both had a good laugh.
    I think Emma Stone is a genuine talent and it'll be interesting to see how her career develops. Crazy, Stupid Love and Easy A are fun comedies and she's very good in The Help.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Holiday, with Cary Grant.

Here's the blurb from the box - A happy-go-lucky non-conformist (Cary Grant) finds himself engaged to the spoiled daughter of a millionaire, not realizing that her down-to-earth sister (Katherine Hepburn) is the better catch. Directed by George Cukor.

Not the best CG film, but quite watchable, with some pretty good moments. I'm not sure I've seen Katherine Hepburn so young. The film was from 1938.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1: