PC and Technical Help Forum

There are 369 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 141,780 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• yes there is a windows version of Safari. There is also Opera, Netscape 8 (I think thats the newest one), Konqueror and many many more....

I doubt that it was your browser, my guess is that your ISP was having some issues.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Like erthomp143 said its probably not your browser but IE can act really odd at times so try a different browser and that may clean things up for you and run smoother. I know for a fact that Mozilla is not a big memory hog like IE is and Safari is an even simpler browser that uses less memory resources. Even if you have 3gb of physical memory a process can "run off" and leak which can cause lag at times. Also, recently I have been using a probram called SUPERantispyware and it really works well. It finds trojans and tracking cookies that my antivirus/antispyware program doesn't find. It is free and the updates are free as well. Just Google on the program SUPERantispyware.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I don't know about SUPERantispyware, but I do know that SB search&destroy doesn't catch everything so I also run Adaware these two together catch most everything. I was also running spy doctor for a while, you can get it from Google, but it was to invasive.

• I have put back on Spybot and Adaware, and also have used Defender,
    and found then satisfactory.

However beware, of 'pay' ones.
    I installed Norton 360 onto one PC, and it freked out Windows so much,
    we had to do a repair/Install, and uninstall Norton,
    to get the thing working again.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Todd, do you anything about a comparison between SUPERantispyware and Spybot Search & Destroy? We have Spybot on our computer and I am pretty happy with it.

Chester :newyear:

I had Spybot on my computer for years thinking I was covered. I was amazed at what SUPERantispyware found when I first loaded it. In fact I don't even have Spybot on my computer anymore. The thing is though, try to limit the amount of programs that you have running on your computer that are spyware/antivirus programs. Your computer will slow down if you have too many and there might even be conflicts between them.

-John Wayne

• The thing to remember about Sbybot and Adaware is that they don't load on bootup, you need to run them. Just having them on your system will not do anything for you... of course you could schedule a task for them to run... That's what I like about them and disliked about spy doctor and defender, they are always running mucking with crap when I don't want them too...

• I was wondering if anyone here has a VHS to DvD player to recorder?

Reason I ask is that im in the market for one and I wanted to know opinions on which one to buy and how well these things can transfer my VHS to DvD.

A local friend of mine said he paid I think either $200 or $250 bucks for his but, he never used his.

His model is: Toshiba MDVR 600 KU or something like that? Said he bought his for $250.00.

I did a little looking around today and saw these as well-all are Toshiba.

D-R 560 DvD recorder DVR HDM1 for appx: $179.36

DVR 610 DvD/VCR Combo recorder w/ DvD 1080i Up-Conversion for $169.95.

D-VR 600 Tunerless 1080i Up-Converting DivX Certified DvD recorder VCR Combo $199.99.

Im not stuck on only what Toshiba has but, I was wondering if anyone here has one of these and was also wondering on what the quality of the transfer is if they have tried it already?

Anyway, any opinions and info would be greatly appreciated.

Ill be back on Monday in case anyone replies to this.

Thanks in advance--Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thought I had screwed up big time this morning.

I have a practically brand-new Epson scanner that I bought a couple of years ago and have hardly used. This morning I decided to do a little scanning with my new Vista OS computer that has displayed a previous ability to use software designed for an older OS, i.e., XP.

So I loaded the XP scanner software, hooked it up to the computer but kept getting a message that it wasn't connected properly, even though I checked and re-checked the connections. Finally, I said to heck with it, disconnected the scanner and uninstalled the software. Lo and behold, I suddenly discovered, to my great dismay, that my DVD and CD drives had disappeared from the system. Panic............

After trying numerous corrective measures, I finally did a system restore procedure for a point in time 5 days ago. Whewwww - my drives reappeared.

Lesson 1 - know what you're doing on a computer before you undertake a task or you may find yourself tearing your hair out. And never, ever try software on a Vista machine that was meant for an XP. :wink:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy, no offense to your problem or your machine but that is the exact reason why I have yet to switch to Vista. And now with Service Pack 3 being released tests are showing the speed increase between Vista and XP has been expanded and made XP even faster. Also, the system requirements for XP are ALOT less then Vista so you don't have to spend as much money to get a XP system working at the same level as a Vista system.

-John Wayne

• Todd, I agree,
    I recently purchased another PC,
    and had Vista taken off, and XP installed.
    MY PC Whiz kid says the same,
    the system requirements of Vista,
    are so much more.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Stumpy, no offense to your problem or your machine but that is the exact reason why I have yet to switch to Vista. And now with Service Pack 3 being released tests are showing the speed increase between Vista and XP has been expanded and made XP even faster. Also, the system requirements for XP are ALOT less then Vista so you don't have to spend as much money to get a XP system working at the same level as a Vista system.

I must admit that I was reluctant to switch, Todd, but was afraid that I'd get left behind. I figured that in 1 or 2 years, MS would stop all updates and support for XP and those who stuck with it would be left out in the cold. That's the main reason I went with Vista. And really, I haven't had all that many problems with it. This deal with the scanner was about the first and as it turned out, was fairly simple to solve.

The reason I thought I could use the scanner was because I already had 2 or 3 programs written for XP on the Vista machine and have had no problems with them. But the system requirements ARE a lot more than for XP. However, I have 4 gigs of RAM and more than 300 gigs of HD so have no problems in that respect. My machine is very fast.

I also have a fairly new laptop with XP but only hook it up to the 'net about once a month, just to update all the software.

De gustibus non est disputandum