PC and Technical Help Forum

There are 369 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 141,130 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I took Vista of my new desktop, and installed XP

You had a lot of company, Keith. According to various computer forums and message boards I've visited, many, many people did the same thing. I had a hard time relating to all the horror stories I've heard about Vista since I've had very few problems with it.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I have been running a evaluation copy of Windows 7 for about 5 months and I think it is a huge improvement over Vista. The only thing that I can see someone having trouble with Windows 7 is if they go from 32 bit to 64 bit version and some of there programs have capatability issues. I wouldn't hesitate to make the switch from Vista to 7. If you are on XP, then maybe try loading both OS's(dual boot) on your system like I did and then you can compare.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hey Todd, has that white substance reached Minnesota yet?
    Jim

Well not to stay. We had about 5 inches that stayed about 1 day last Friday. It will be another month before it will start sticking around. Hopefully we will have a good year for snow. Forecasters are saying that El Nino is rearing it's ugly head and we will be drier and warmer then normal. Hasn't shown up yet as it has been the wettest October in over 100 years. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they are wrong.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Despite what I said before about waiting before u/g to Windows 7, I decided to give it a try. I upgraded my desktop running Vista which is just over 1 year old.

First off Dell's web site could not confirm it was Win7 compatible so I took a chance. I had to uninstall the ATI graphics control centre, but no problem with that.

MS have always recommended that you backup your own data before an upgrade. They really mean it this time, even upgrading from Vista.

When you install any version of Windows it sets up some default folders such as My Pictures, My Videos, My Documents, etc.. Well, when you upgrade Vista > Windows 7, any folders you created outside of those, and all the files in them, will be lost.

Despite the fact that Win7 had drivers for my Netgear adapter, they failed to work, and I had to reinstall the Netgear software to get it to work. When I ran Windows Update it installed the latest Broadcom software and again broke my adapter and I had to reinstall the Netgear software, again.

When it was eventually stable, I have to say there is very little I see different to Vista. Broadband connection is certainly faster to connect, but not much else. The new 'libraries' is a nice touch, and you can link from external drives etc.

Upgrading from XP is a lot of hassle and I think it will put many people off. So I think Win7 will be Vista upgrades and new boxes only.

Bob

• Does anyone on the board know of a source for movie labels for those slim plastic DVD cases? I have almost a thousand DVDs, most in the regular-sized (1/2 inch cases) and they completely fill two fairly large bookcases in my living room. I'd like to buy some of the slim (1/4 inch) DVD cases and transfer all the movies to them so they don't take up so much room but naturally, I'd like to have the movie artwork on the slimmer cases so I could find a particular title when I wanted it.

I've reposted Stumpy's question here, from another thread, in hopes that some of our tech-savvy friends might have some suggestions.

One suggestion - cut the art down to size (or scan it onto your 'puter and then print it out) and use spray adhesive to stick it on the front. I think the adhesive is clear, so you could even spray it on the face and stick it to the inside of the case (clear covers, right?). I haven't done this myself, so I would recommend that you do a 'trial run' first.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• One suggestion - cut the art down to size (or scan it onto your 'puter and then print it out) and use spray adhesive to stick it on the front. I think the adhesive is clear, so you could even spray it on the face and stick it to the inside of the case (clear covers, right?). Mrs. C :angel1:

You know what, Sue? I think someone could make themselves a very good living doing nothing but selling those DVD case movie labels. That is, if they could find a source for all the labels and if there weren't a lot of copyright issues involved.
    Jim

• Jim,

Are they the CD style cases?
    known as single jewell cases.
    I print all my own CD inlays,
    using Publisher, which as a CD case template.
    Just use 160g or less graphic card and print your own.
    You can always lift the movie image off the 'net and paste it on,
    and add some text.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• The cases are the same length and width as the regular cases, Keith, but only half as thick.

• Jim, I've seen them at Office Depot, and I think you can order them online. I don't have any idea how much they cost, but let me check my resources. I bought from a company a few years ago empty cassette cases (don't need them anymore due to the mp3 player I have that downloads over a thousand audios). I may find a good deal for you.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Jim, I've seen them at Office Depot, and I think you can order them online. I don't have any idea how much they cost, but let me check my resources. I bought from a company a few years ago empty cassette cases (don't need them anymore due to the mp3 player I have that downloads over a thousand audios). I may find a good deal for you.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Thanks for the offer, Mike, but I don't think I'll have any problem buying the cases as I've already found several sources by googling. It's the labels like they have in the regular sized-cases I wish I could find a good source that didn't charge an arm and a leg.
    Jim

• Thanks for the offer, Mike, but I don't think I'll have any problem buying the cases as I've already found several sources by googling. It's the labels like they have in the regular sized-cases I wish I could find a good source that didn't charge an arm and a leg.
    Jim

I know what you mean. You have to buy so much to get that special deal, and then you spend the savings on the shipping, plus more.

Cheers :cool: Mike

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Stumpy,

I'm beginning to think it would be easier and cheaper to get a another bookcase :wink_smile:

Chester

I've got more bookcases now than I have room to place them. I've been a voracious reader all my life and despite giving probably a couple of hundred books and videos to various libraries, I still have many hundreds more.

• I've got more bookcases now than I have room to place them. I've been a voracious reader all my life and despite giving probably a couple of hundred books and videos to various libraries, I still have many hundreds more.

Jim,

Can you not print them yourself?
    It's easier and cheaper then buying ready made

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Jim,

Can you not print them yourself?
    It's easier and cheaper then buying ready made

I probably could, Keith, but I'd want the source from which I printed to look as good (and professionally done) as those that come on the commercially-produced versions.

• I probably could, Keith, but I'd want the source from which I printed to look as good (and professionally done) as those that come on the commercially-produced versions.

Jim, I print my own inlays for professional use,
    and they are as good as anything in the shops.

Have you seen this site ,
    http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers
    whereby you tap in the movie's title
    and it will let you print off the original film inlay!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• By golly, that sure looks like it may work, Keith. I printed a sample cover for Rio Bravo and it looks pretty darned good - almost as good as the ones professionally done. The only thing is, I've got to figure out the right size to print for those 5" x 7" DVD cases. Thank you, thank you, thank you, my friend.