Politics

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 830,929 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Does this clown ever do anything right?

Nope, and if he plays his cards wrong as always Yemen & Jordan will go same way and the (bs2) will really hit the fan if Saudi Arabia starts to go up in smoke.

Place your bets if Egypt goes extreme Islamic that he wants to start a military invasion of Suez Canal. Talk about history repeating itself!!!

This time it could be the Chinese & Russian telling the US to withdraw. Watch out for slippery Hilary starting to distant herself from Obama and place herself as a rival democratic candidate in 2012.

• Just wondering what other conservatives think about conflicts between old and new (read Tea Partiers) members of the congressional Republican caucuses. Good or bad?

I confess to being conflicted myself. I'm anti-establishment all the way but at the same time, don't want the newbies taking stands that will damage Republican chances in 2012.

On spending, I definitely want newbies to hold GOPers to promises they made to drastically reduce spending. There are entire departments, agencies and commissions of the federal government that I would eliminate, beginning with education, energy and labor.

I would start with the premise that national defense is the PRIMARY, in fact we could say ONLY, constitutionally-authorized duty of the federal government.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• There are entire departments, agencies and commissions of the federal government that I would eliminate, beginning with education, energy and labor..

Agree, just cutting spending is not enough.

It's going to be interesting to see if the billions we sent to Egypt will benefit us at all or if they will go the way of Iran.

Jim

• It's going to be interesting to see if the billions we sent to Egypt will benefit us at all or if they will go the way of Iran.

If they go the way of Iran, we'll probably soon see a war between Israel and some of the Arab states. Israel would almost be forced to take premptive action against certain Arab states.

All I can say is, Iran better count their blessings that I ain't in charge; otherwise, all that sand would be turned into glass right quick. :laugh:

• Obama and his cronies don't believe the Muslim brotherhood is a threat. I have watched videos of their religous leader calling for children bombs against the jews, holding up Hitler and calling for aniliation of the jews. There are over 50 US cities that have Muslim brotherhood orgs in them. We here in Oklahoma voted to shoot down Sharia law but soon was challenged by mulsims. You don't think that sharia law may soon be in our courts , think again. This is all leading up top one world government or something along that line. the media in this country is a joke with the exception of fox news .

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

I would start with the premise that national defense is the PRIMARY, in fact we could say ONLY, constitutionally-authorized duty of the federal government.

Well, there is all this other stuff mentioned in the U.S. Constitution...

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

Etc. (The rest does have to do with defense and war powers)

• It may surprise you to know, Paula, that I'm just as familiar with the U.S. Constitution as you are but when I emphasized national defense, I was putting forth what I consider the MOST IMPORTANT clause of that great document. Because without national defense, the other branches could not exist, as far as I'm concerned.

If it was up to me, the entire federal government, other than the executive, legislative and judicial branches, would consist of nothing else but the Department of Defense. And maybe, just maybe, the Postal Service. :biggrin:

• Well, today I received the book I ordered from Amazon 2 or 3 weeks ago. It's Donald Rumsfeld's memoir "Known and Unknown", in which he supposedly names names and reveals some of the personality and other conflicts that existed within Bush's cabal. I'm anxious to read it.

Although Donald Rumsfeld resigned from the Bush administration and became one of the left's many favorite conservative whipping boys, he was, IMO, one of the best secretaries of defense this country ever had. Surely better than the joke Gates, who currently occupies that post.

• Just another reminder of the traitorous SOBs who call themselves "journalists".

I will believe until the day I die that the American media bears a large portion of the responsibility for our "loss" in Vietnam. It seems someone else agrees with me.

• I agree Stumpy. The progressives and there use of political correctness has taken this country down. The Duke said it once, we should have no hyphenated peoples, not african- american or jap- american just american. That would go along ways in racism. I agree with the vietnam war and the media, whether you like war or not sometimes its a necessity. You want to help and defend your alies. Hitler signed a treaty with every country he invaded. To think you can talk with some leaders is a joke you have to go by their actions not their words. You would think the progressives would understnd this more than anyone because their hero Alinsky believed and taught the end justifies the means so as long as the agenda is met it doesn't matter if you lie or cheat to obtain it. After all Alinksy gives kudos to the greatest agitator "Lucipher" in his book rules for radicals.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Well, Brick, like I told Paula, without a strong national defense, and the will to use it, everything else in the Constitution ain't worth the paper its' written on. Because we have enemies out there in the real world - enemies who'd love to see us destroyed.

• I don't know ANYBODY -- of any political stripe -- who isn't in favor of a "strong national defense." As a former Army wife and Army civilian employee myself, married to a vet who spent 4 years in ROTC and 8 years as an Army officer, I'm all for support of our military men and women. We still have friends who are military or work for the military and from what I hear, these two never ending wars have been a disaster for our armed forces, who are overburdened and overworked and overwhelmed, and IMHO sucked dry by contractors.

I am NOT a fan of any kind of out-sourcing and contracting, which seems to be so popular these days. I think it is incredibly destructive to our civil ethos, and also a money pit that fosters corruption.

Anyway, just what exactly constitutes a "strong national defense"? It's not just a properly manned and equipped military. Nations fall from within. The destruction of the unions and our insane tax policy which favors the rich and the corporations, as well as deregulation (especially of the banks), is eroding this country from within.

The middle class -- the bulwark of this country -- is being destroyed. This crazy financial mess started with Reagan, continued with Clinton, and roared on with Bush, and Obama continues it to this day. I'm lucky, I've mostly escaped the effects of this destruction of our economy, but I know plenty of people who haven't -- like my hair stylist, who is self-employed and lost her house and literally is now living in her sister's garage. She's still cutting hair, though. "Hey, she should have gotten a better education and a fancy job!" Well SOMEBODY has to cut hair. Don't the barbers and hair stylists deserve a living wage? They're on their feet all day and it's an honest living, a job that needs to be done.

My father-in-law, who was a truck driver and a mover, was a union man. He never was rich or even upper middle class, but he was able to provide a decent living for his family, and he had health care. I don't think he'd be able to provide the same level of support nowadays.

I definitely support a strong national defense, and that includes a well-run, efficient military as well as a populace who can find jobs, making a living wage, and not get ripped off by the top one percent of this country.

I meant to include this link:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/…came-cnnm-2876148381.html

P.S. Just because I support unions doesn't mean I don't know they need reform too. Just about everything these days needs reform.

• Pardon me for saying so, Paula, but I've noticed several times that you've posted links or info from the NYT. That in itself makes your political preferences suspect in my eyes.

Your preceding remarks concerning the "rich", corporations and banks confirm for us where you're coming from. Are you oriiginally from New York or Massachusetts? Or maybe Berkeley? :wink_smile:

I have a bit of experience in the military myself; 25 years worth to be exact. And this is when they paid us peanuts. But never, ever did I envy people who had more money than I did because I figured they earned it. Furthermore, I earned quite a reputation writing letters to presidents, members of congress, newspaper editors and various other entities complaining about the waste of taxpayer money I saw every day. I might as well have saved my energy because there's not a doubt in my military mind that the exact same waste is occurring nowadays.

Finally, this country needs to outlaw unions, period.

• Finally, this country needs to outlaw unions, period.

Jim - I'm with you on this. Unions may have had their place at the beginning of the 20th century. But now they do little except fill the pockets of their administrators! Otherwise they are obsolete.
    Now in today's modern climate, the usefulness of unions has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Jim - I'm with you on this. Unions may have had their place at the beginning of the 20th century. But now they do little except fill the pockets of their administrators! Otherwise they are obsolete.
    Now in today's modern climate, the usefulness of unions has gone the way of the dinosaur.

I honestly believe, Jay, that unions are the main reason that most of our industrial production has moved to China and/or Mexico. And also that the so-called "public service" unions are bankrupting the states where they're located, not to mention ripping off the ordinary citizens of those same states via their pensions and other benefits. I also blame unions for cars costing $20. thousand and up. I've never liked unions and never will.

• Have you ever noticed that when people talk about wealth re-distribution, they never talk about their OWN money...

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Have you ever noticed that when people talk about wealth re-distribution, they never talk about their OWN money...

Ain't it the truth? But class warfare has been a Democrat strategy for as long as I can remember. Class envy is the name of their game.

• Hello all I like Americans of all races. Having said that and in the hopes of provoking Stumpy and or others, I must say that if you all think charging me and my fellow Canadians $5.50 to arrive in your US of A by plane or boat is a good idea, so be it. If that statement isn't enough to get the dust off your keypads, i will go further and say...if Mr Obama had not inherited such a mess from that lunatic war monger profiteering (like his father sob) Mr George Hitler Bush, yall would be in better shape today ! No one is perfect but bush and co did no favors for the nation that excuse the pocket lining they did. Those are lives not words being wasted in those wars. Durn blasted radicals once they become leaders are the rust on the fry pan of life. p.s. hi Jim hope things are good in your world.

Greetings from North of the 49th