Politics

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 831,594 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Welcome, Coach3!

I wish more conservatives would've gotten "riled up" over the ineptitude of the last eight years of Bush 43 with his liberal spending, the expansion of the federal government, huge deficits, tax cuts for the mega rich, a costly war in blood and treasure fabricated by chickenhawk draft dodgers (Dick "Other Priorities" Cheney chief among them) on the flimsiest of "evidence", the assault on civil liberties, and the death of the Republican party's belief system.

I'm against term limits. If people don't like the job their representatives, senators, or president is doing, become a responsible citizen and VOTE them out!

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• I wish more conservatives would've gotten "riled up" over the ineptitude of the last eight years of Bush 43 with his liberal spending, the expansion of the federal government, huge deficits, tax cuts for the mega rich, a costly war in blood and treasure fabricated by chickenhawk draft dodgers (Dick "Other Priorities" Cheney chief among them) on the flimsiest of "evidence", the assault on civil liberties, and the death of the Republican party's belief system.

Apparently you haven't connected the dots very well - it was precisely because conservatives became so fed up with those items you've listed above and stopped supporting the GOP with money and votes that they suffered such electoral destruction at the polls in 2006 and 2008. And it's precisely because of those items that Democrats score better than Republicans in generic party ID polls now.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Apparently you haven't connected the dots very well - it was precisely because conservatives became so fed up with those items you've listed above and stopped supporting the GOP with money and votes that they suffered such electoral destruction at the polls in 2006 and 2008. And it's precisely because of those items that Democrats score better than Republicans in generic party ID polls now.

Then why did so many Republicans choose McCain as the GOP nominee? Why didn't Huckabee get the nod? He was the most conservative candidate out there.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Then why did so many Republicans choose McCain as the GOP nominee?

Because Romney and Rudy carried too much liberal baggage. Because the GOP powers-that-be apparently considered McCain as the candidate with the best chance against Bambi.

And because unfortunately, our method of selecting candidates is seriously flawed. I personally would like to see a return to the days when convention delegates selected presidential candidates.

Why didn't Huckabee get the nod? He was the most conservative candidate out there.

First of all, Huckabee's not nearly as conservative as many people seem to think. If you've ever studied his record as Arkansas governor, you'll discern that.

Secondly, Huckabee comes across as somewhat of a religious fanatic. And as most political junkies know, religion is outworn with many people nowadays.

• Stumpy,
    Are You Two At It Again ?
    :teeth_smile:
    OH, John Wayne and Barry Goldwater Where Are You When We Need You The Most ?
    :box:
    Duke and Barry were the Best Of Friends here in Arizona and were So Conservative That They Squeaked !!!
    :hyper:
    Bill
    :cowboy:

• Bill,
    I was one of Barry's earliest and most enthusiastic supporters. Though I was then only an E5 (stationed in Hawaii), I sent him money, knocked on doors for him and tried to help him in every way I knew how. I wanted "a choice, not an echo". But LBJ's propaganda campaign convinced too many voters that Goldwater was a wild-eyed warmonger who would immediately start atom bombing our enemies and the rest is history. I'm sure you remember LBJ's TV ad showing the little girl picking flowers.......

• My thought for years has been to limit all political office holders to two terms and then "go get a real job"!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much control by too few people in this country. Special interests run things now. The majority doesn't seem to have any say.

The incumbents have rigged the system so that it's almost impossible to dislodge them. They also count on the well-known ignorance and apathy of the average American voter to ensure their perpetuity in office. I'm definitely a supporter of term limits - I think those in both houses should be limited to a maximum of 12 years, which would be two terms for senators and six terms for representatives.

I also think ALL laws, rules and regulations that govern payment of salaries and especially pensions for members of Congress should be taken out of their hands and given into the hands of independent commissions comprised of people in no way connected to government.

• Stumpy,
    What is a E5 in the Navy, I made it to Three Stripes as a Enlisted Man in the U.S.A.F. What we Called a Buck Sergeant before I went to O.C.S. and then the Trouble Started !

I was also on the Trail for Barry for president, and He was my Scout Master in the early 1940s, and Sighed my Papers into The Masons in the 1950s !
    Bill

• our method of selecting candidates is seriously flawed. I personally would like to see a return to the days when convention delegates selected presidential candidates.

In selecting presidential candidates, there seems to be a mindset within the GOP that goes "well, it's his turn", never mind that the person thy're referring to may be the worst possible candidate.

I strongly believe this attitude had a lot to do with the selection of Bush 41, Bob Dole and McCain as Republican presidential candidates. I think they should go back to the days of those storied "smoke-filled rooms" at national nominating conventions. The guys in those smoke-filled rooms were political pros who knew how the game is played and they almost always picked the very strongest candidate.

• In selecting presidential candidates, there seems to be a mindset within the GOP that goes "well, it's his turn", never mind that the person they're referring to may be the worst possible candidate.

I strongly believe this attitude had a lot to do with the selection of Bush 41, Bob Dole and McCain as Republican presidential candidates.

Agreed, Dole and McCain were just run because they had put their time in. I am just glad turncoat Specter has left the GOP and turned back into the Democrat he always was and voted like. Knowing the GOP they would have carted him out next.
    If they do not ready Palin for 2012 they are making a mistake. Only thing they need to gag Todd her husband, he forgets he isn't Mr Governor.
    She is bright, energetic, a fresh change, and easy on the eyes.:wink:

• Time to dust off and update this joke . . .

HOW TO START EACH DAY WITH A POSITIVE OUTLOOK

1. Create a new file folder on your computer.

2. Name it 'Barack Obama.'

3. Drag it to the recycle bin.

4. Empty the recycle bin.

5. Your PC will ask you, 'Do you really want to get rid of 'Barack Obama'?

6. Firmly Click 'Yes.'

7. Feel better instantly.

Tomorrow we can do Nancy Pelosi!

• I just got through posting a picture in the "Politics" Social Group. It's too graphic for many of our members so I put it in the Social Group so only select individuals can see it.

• A college professor wrote this??????? That's hard to believe but at any rate, I agree ten thousand percent with the good prof. In fact, I'm gonna email him and tell him so.

Shown below is the exchange of emails with Professor Sears. He's exactly right when he says all that matters is that the students strongly support him.

"Thanks Jim, for the kind words. As a conservative educator, it gets quite hostile on campus but the students strongly support me. That is all that really matters.

Tom

Sent: Tue 6/23/2009 12:20 PM
    To: Sears, Thomas
    Subject: Your Column

Dear Professor Sears,
    I read your column entitled "How Long Until Obama Is Booted" and agree with the sentiments expressed therein ten thousand percent.

P.S.
    Hard to believe there's an educator in this country who feels that way. As I'm sure you're aware, most college professors are somewhat to the left of Ted Kennedy. :wink_smile:"