Ummmm, ummmm good

There are 133 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 29,706 times. The latest Post () was by gt12pak.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• One change - I love scallops.

What's funny is that when the wife and I got married (1960), she didn't like seafood of any kind, I think because she'd never eaten much of it. We were in the NCO Club at Hickam AFB one night about '62 or '63 - I ordered lobster for myself and a steak for her. During the course of our meal, I talked her into trying a bite of my lobster. Ever since then, she's been totally nuts about seafood of any kind except, you guessed it, scallops.

I take it back a bit. I do like Deviled Crab. Have not had any in about 25 years though.:gah:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Well I have not made the banquit chicken and dumplings yet, but I did make chicken and dumplings from scratch last night. For my first time it turned out really good. Now I can start adding things to it :)

On Wen night I made shepards pie with salmon. The kids liked the potatos and veggies but didn't care for the salmon to much, I will try it with a different meat next time.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Well, we celebrated my father-in-laws 60th B-Day this weekend and guess what. They had lutefisk. so to be nice I took a small piece, and you know what, its still really gross!!! But there was meatballs and lefse so the meal was quit good despite the nasty jelly fish substance!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Chicken and dumplings is an all time favorite in my household. I'm one of those that fall into the cold weather, comfort food junkies. I'll be trying Duke's chili in the next few days. Thank you Chili Bill. Another favorite for my family is to take a small pot roast, two cans of mushroom soup, two cans of water, a packet of lipton onion soup and potatoes and carrots and put them into the slow cooker for about five hours. The meat falls apart, and the soup is thick and delicious. The thickness depends on how small you cut the potatoes though. Hope to meet some of you when I decide where to go. Ringo and Chili Bill are high on the list. Still looking at retireing in Corpus Ringo. Eleven more years, but maybe we will be blessed with a duty station. Later all.
    Bo

• Hi Bo, i'd look forward to you retiring down here. After all, this area of the country is known as "Navy Country." In case you did not get enough of Navy ships, we do have the U.S.S. Lexington carrier on permanent display here. It is now a Museum. Recently I finally managed to visit her and was amazed at what I saw.

Anyway, on Corpus Christi, it's not a bad city at all if you like access to beaches, and mostly warm to hot weather. Today as a matter of fact is in the upper 70's temperature-wise. Prices on most things are cheaper here as well and we have tons of restaurants though, sadly; we do not have any German restaurants. Prices for regular unleaded gasoline is: $1.99 per gallon and we no longer sell gas for that windbag in Venezuela (Sp?) hugo chavez.

• I guess a Coastie could find a home in "Navy Country". My wife and I love the area and I actually have some family there that isn't related to the wife. My cousin is a teacher in the area. I will be all over the Lexington when I get a chance. I'm really starting to get into Naval WWII history. I was invited to Guadacanal this September with some of the historians I met at Pearl Harbor Symposium. Of course, they forget every five minutes more than I know, but they humor me. It sure is good to be back on the board though. All of you guys and gals are terrific.
    Bo

• Well, we celebrated my father-in-laws 60th B-Day this weekend and guess what. They had lutefisk. so to be nice I took a small piece, and you know what, its still really gross!!!

After reading the description of what it is, I don't see how it could be anything but! Brave man!

Chester :newyear:

P.S. Tomorrow night, the Mrs. is making one of the family's favorite "comfort" foods, meatloaf! Yum, yum!

• After reading the description of what it is, I don't see how it could be anything but! Brave man!

P.S. Tomorrow night, the Mrs. is making one of the family's favorite "comfort" foods, meatloaf! Yum, yum!

I forgot to mention that after I had a chunk of that stuff I no longer have to shave.....anywhere.....period!!!! :dead: :wink_smile: :tooth:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I guess a Coastie could find a home in "Navy Country". My wife and I love the area and I actually have some family there that isn't related to the wife. My cousin is a teacher in the area. I will be all over the Lexington when I get a chance. I'm really starting to get into Naval WWII history. I was invited to Guadacanal this September with some of the historians I met at Pearl Harbor Symposium. Of course, they forget every five minutes more than I know, but they humor me. It sure is good to be back on the board though. All of you guys and gals are terrific.
    Bo

Hi Bo, that is good to know, and if you need info dining info and such; just feel free to ask. :pizza: I can steer you away from the not-so-good eateries and can steer you to the better ones in town. One thing I can't stand is the over-whelming number of Chinese restaurants that are here. I LOVE Chinese food but--just too many places here. If you find yourself here anytime soon, go et at the Mandarin Gardens--tis a nice place and the prices are good and wait staff are excellent. And besides, I live in teh apartment complex located just behind where Mandarin Gardens and Whataburger is.

• MMMMMMMmmmmmmm, Whataburger. :hyper::stunned: I just drooled on myself. Do you know how bad my wife and myself miss that culinary palace of mouthwatering burger makers. I tell ya what, one of the fortunate things I have is a bounty of terrific asian food. If you ever find yourself in this part of the country before I leave (hopefully soon, I turned pure white from the lack of sun) you and yours have a place to stay and some grub for your belly. Thanks as always.
    Bo

• What that fast food chain in Tennessee and Georgia called. You see them quite often in shopping malls is it "Balls of Chicken"?

I came across them on my last two visits. If they were here I would be the size of a house.:yeaahh:

Mike

• Ringo Kid, brother you just said the right words. Pecan pie. My father used to make us go out and pick up pecans from the trees we had in the back yard. My aunt would use those fresh pecans and make the best pie. I only have the option of the frozen type up here in the Oregon wilderness, but every once in a while we will find one in a restaurant. I think you and I could do some eatin if we get the chance. Ethan, I'm not sure what treacle sponge and custard is, but I'm willing to give anything a try.
    Bo

• , , , is it "Balls of Chicken"?

I thought only roosters had those :biggrin:!

Now . . . speaking of dessert . . . my wife makes something called "Dirt Cake" and it is served from a flower pot and looks like real potting soil on the top, but boy is it good!! Creamy and chocolatey - yum, yum!! She has been known to garnish it with gummy worms for effect.

• Keith, thanks for that link.

I do believe that treacle pudding is a particularly British thing.

I especially was taken by the line in the article " . . . proper being a word that best describes the wealth of classic English puddings that have sadly been eclipsed by, on the one hand, a preoccupation with so-called healthy eating and, on the other, the need to impress." How many marvelous foods have gone the same way?

It sounds utterly marvelous, but I must ask . . . what is treacle? It sounds like something I will have to purchase in a specialty store of some kind . . . OK, I take that back, in checking elsewhere on the 'net, it would seem that it is perhaps molasses? Except that there is mention of both golden syrup and black treacle . . . . And I have never steamed a pudding before, and the recipe seems to take that knowledge for granted. so I am needing a little more education here, it seems.

The little old ladies at the church potluck would certainly be "wow-ed" with this offering!:smile:

Mrs. C :angel1: