Hubble's Top Ten space photographs and other aviation stories

There are 104 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 35,198 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• WOW!!!! That was some demonstration. And what a scale model, even with retractable landing gear. (I was never that ambitious during my model aircraft days - the largest I ever built had about a 48" wingspan - and my stuff was all control line). That was some pilot too. The controller has to adjust for the inverted flying and remember that his up becomes down and vice-versa. Otherwise you have a lot of balsa wood chips and other sundry materials scattered on the ground.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Change

While the C-5 was turning over its engines, a female crewman gave the G.I.s on board the usual

information regarding seat belts, emergency exits, etc .

Finally, she said, 'Now sit back and enjoy your trip while your captain, Judith Campbell, and crew

take you safely to Afghanistan '

An old MSgt. sitting in the eighth row thought to himself,

'Did I hear her right? Is the captain a woman? '

When the attendant came by he said 'Did I understand you right? Is the captain a woman?'

'Yes,'! said the attendant, 'In fact, this entire crew is female.'

'My God,' he said, 'I wish I had two double scotch and sodas. I don't know what to think

with only women up there in the cockpit.'

'That's another thing, Sergeant,' said the crew member,
    'We No Longer Call It The Cockpit'

'It's The Box Office.'

• Regarding the B-36 - a one-of-a-kind cargo version of this was made called the XC-99. It flew around the world several times but was based here at Kelly AFB. Eventually the cost of operation (fuel mostly) caused this prop-pusher to be grounded. For a number of years, the plane was used as a static display at Kelly, but neglect resulted in disrepair and I haven't heard what happened to it.

"Not hardly!!!"

• Bill,
    I found some interesting data regarding this jet, from the California Flight Academy , you might need a little more than $250,000 to own one of these jets.

MS 760 PARIS JET OPERATING EXPENSES

Fuel Expenses 130 gph average $1.95/gal $52,000.00

Insurance Liability Only per year $8,000.00

Oil per year $150.00

Maint. & Annual 83 man hours per year $5,000.00

Tires per set $1,000.00

Brakes per set $1,000.00

Taxes per year $3,000.00

$70,150.00

Hourly operating costs based upon 200 hours per year $350.75
    without engine reserves

Engine reserves based upon 1800 hours overhaul life
    $65,000 per engine = $36.11 X 2 $72.22

Hourly operating costs based upon 200 hours per year $422.97

Here's a website that has more info ;

http://www.machdiamonds.com/paris.html

Chester :newyear:

• That was totally amazing. I've never seen anything like that. I read the first comment on the thread area, and they commented that it was fake, just look at the shadow. I tried to see what that person saw, and though it seem to happen in a split second, I didn't see that shadow.

You've got to see it to believe it.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• If that was real, that was one heck of a pilot to keep that plane in the air until he could get it in a position to land without having a major tragedy. How he righted his craft at the last second to land on his wheels shows both his abilities and the grace of his maker!

"Not hardly!!!"

• If this is Really True, it is somthing that I have Never Heard Of Before in over 60 Years of Flying !
    :ohmy:
    You would go into a Spin into the Wing that was Lost because of the lost the LIFT of that Wing, and the Wing That Is Still on The Aircraft is the Only One Still Lifting and the Only Control that He Would Have Would Be The Rudder !!
    :stunned:
    If this is Really True the Pilot was Very Good and Someone Was Looking After Him,:angel: AND "It Was Not His Time To GO YET !!!"
    :angel1:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy: