Across The Pond

There are 91 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 21,342 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• We’re always talking about American actors/actresses but the UK has produced some wonderfully-gifted Thespians also. My personal favorites are:

Richard Attenborough, Stanley Baker, Sean Bean, Kate Beckinsale, Jacqueline Bisset, Dirk Bogarde, Richard Burton, Michael Caine, Julie Christie, Sean Connery, Finlay Currie, Denholm Elliot, Ralph Fiennes, Edward Fox, John Gielgud, Stewart Granger, Alec Guinness, Richard Harris, Rex Harrison, Jack Hawkins, Wendy Hiller, Anthony Hopkins, Trevor Howard, John Hurt, Glenda Jackson, Glynis Johns, Deborah Kerr, Ben Kingsley, Keira Knightley, Charles Laughton, James Mason, John Mills, Roger Moore, Kenneth More, Janet Munro, Robert Newton, David Niven, Peter O’Toole, Laurence Olivier, Clive Owen, Ralph Richardson, Flora Robson, George Sanders, Jean Simmons, Terrance Stamp, Elizabeth Taylor, Emma Thompson, Richard Todd, Peter Ustinov, Kate Winslet and Susannah York.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Jim,

Impressive list, and there's obviously more,
    I am sure we can come up with some,
    on further posts, but thanks for reminding,
    us that the Brits have also,
    played a big part in the Movie Industry

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• In re-reading my list, I noticed that I omitted another of my favorites. Who can forget Robert Shaw's performances in "From Russia With Love", "Jaws" and "Black Sunday"? He was wonderful in those roles.

• Here are two many from across the pond may not be aware of but I'm sure most over on this side will be aware of them and I watched one on TV tonight.

David Jason - A personal favourite of mine, truely excellent in everything he does.

John Thaw- Inspector Morse has become an institution but my personal favourite of his is 'Goodnight Mr Tom' a truely brilliant programme.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I was just about to add Robert Shaw (amazing or what) other worth mentioning are Michael Caine, Cary Grant, Stan Laurel, Vivien Leigh, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff, Daniel Day Lewis,Alan Rickman, Ewan Mcgregor, Patrick Stewart and Olivia De Havilland

and of course Maureen O Hara.

Mike

• I was just about to add Robert Shaw (amazing or what) other worth mentioning are Michael Caine, Cary Grant, Stan Laurel, Vivien Leigh, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff, Daniel Day Lewis,Alan Rickman, Ewan Mcgregor, Patrick Stewart and Olivia De Havilland

and of course Maureen O Hara.

Mike

My gosh, I can't believe I missed most of those you named (except for Michael Caine). Nearly all of them are also among my favorites, especially Maureen, Olivia, and Cary Grant.

• Robbie, if you mention TV actors as well,
    just mention Jeremy Brett to Jim
    and see what he says!

I love 'im. I have the complete Sherlock Holmes series in which he played. He made an excellent Sherlock and David Burke and Ed Hardwicke were both excellent as Watson.

• I have never liked Michael Caine or Sean Connery, I don't know why, everybody else likes these two actors but me.

Jim I wasnt sure what Keith was getting at with Jeremy Brett as I have never heard of him, but Sherlock Holmes is a genre I would like to break into.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I think Jeremy Brett is the accepted TV Sherlock Holmes interpretation.

I always like the Basil Rathbone films series but it has been yonks since I saw any of them.

The Hammer version of Hounds of the Baskerville was interesting but I was never fussed on Peter Cushing much preferred Christopher Lee who I think played Sherlock Holmes later in his career as well as featuring in the Billy Wider movie.

Mike

• As Mike says, Jeremy Brett is 'Sherlock Holmes'
    Robbie, Jim is a big collecter of Bretts 'Sherlock'

He has been by far the best of them all, with Basil Rathbone second.

Everyone fails miserably particularly, strange you should mention him,
    but Michael Caine, who was useless in Without a Clue (1988)

Speaking of Mr. Caine, I have to agree with Robbie,
    I personally think Michael Caine is one of the most over-rated actors today,
    and OK he's made some reasonable films,
    but to be quite honest, I don't think he can act to save his life.
    He's sure one lucky bloke, to get where he's got!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Speaking of Mr. Caine, I have to agree with Robbie,
    I personally think Michael Caine is one of the most over-rated actors today, and OK he's made some reasonable films, but to be quite honest, I don't think he can act to save his life.

I thought he was perfect as the supercilious leftenant in "Zulu". Of course, I liked Stanley Baker as Leftenant Chard and the guy who played the Colour Sergeant much better. I also liked him in "Battle of Britain", "Victory" and "The Cider House Rules". But other than those four films, I agree his acting skills leave much to be desired.

• John Thaw- Inspector Morse has become an institution but my personal favourite of his is 'Goodnight Mr Tom' a truely brilliant programme.

Robbie, this is a little off the topic (I can't think of more actors/actresses from the UK aside from the ones already mentioned), but I am curious about Goodnight, Mr. Tom, as I am reading the book right now. Is this a TV program or a movie? I'm really enjoying the book.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Stumpy Jim,
    I agree with you about the movies you mentioned,
    wirth the exception of Zulu and The Cider House Rules
    in the rest he was just Michael Caine!
    Duke's was been crticized all his life for playing John Wayne.
    Michael Caine has played Michael Caine all his life got away with it,
    and receiving accolades all the way!!
    There's a popular saying over here, 'My name is Michael Caine!'
    if said in a London accent, that's his acting 'skill' in a nutshell!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Chester

Funny you watched Reap the Wild Wind again recently. I was really impressed with film.

In regard to Michael Caine I was admit he has appeared in some crap. My wife hates the sight of him but he does turn up in some good movies.

Zulu Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Icpress Files Get Carter The Man would would be King

Everyone has different tastes as they say

Mike

• Mike,

I'm not a huge fan of Michael Caine, but he was very good in Second Hand Lions.

My wife saw Michael Caine on stage in New York city in the seventies, in the Anthony Shaffer play Sleuth, which she enjoyed immensely. He was in the movie of the same name, and according to IMDb, the film has been remade AGAIN and is in post production.

Chester :newyear:

• I think my favorite Caine film was "Victory". I thought he and Sly Stallone were both pretty good in that movie. I know it didn't get much critical acclaim but I still liked it. Liked the music in it too.