Pet Peeves

There are 138 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 34,525 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• And I have been saying for many years now, that if one does not vote at all, then those jerks will never be voted out of office and the people who do not vote; do not have a right to complain.

Case in point, the recent city elections here in Corpus Christi. ONLY 10% of the eligable voters - voted; which really singes my a** I voted early to avoid what should have been-long lines. I went in to vote, took about 3-5 minutes time tops. That is from first arriving, to having ones voter registration checked, to casting my votes and then leaving.

To slightly change something that Rich Little recently said--as he was doing his impression of the late Johnny Carson: "I walked into this bar angry as hell. I walked up to the bar and sat on a stool. I pounded my fist onto the bar yelling that All Politicians are A**holes. The person I was sitting next to said: "I resent that, im an A**hole."

The word politician was changed for the word lawyer.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Most election turn-outs are pretty pathetic. Nobody bothers to vote these days. We had a election the other day for a few seats on the school board and little things... out of 20,000 voters only 1,400 people turned out to vote. That's horrible, and the school district is the biggest share of our property taxes. You'd think people would be concerned about who was elected to that board.

All I know is when I was in the military I always sent off for absentee ballots, no matter what the elections. I haven't missed voting in a primary or November election for 33 years. Everyone no matter what age should do their part.

• Dakota, I fully agree with you. I can't see what reason that can be used that is good enough for one to not vote? I can understand if one is at a funeral/away on vacation or something like that.

They played on the local news stations, amny replies to the question of: Did you vote? and if not, why not?

Some VERY lame excuses were: I was studying for an exam, I had to work, I did not want to stand in line, I was sick, I had a Drs appt, and many stupid replies like that. And yet, THOSE will be the first people to complain when something happens they do not like.

• Well, my last post dissappeared.

Dakota, I fully agree with you. During early voting and dunring election day, the local TV stations interviewed many people asking if they were going to vote, had voted and if not, why not?

Some VERY lame excuses included: "I did not vote because I was studying for a test, I had a Drs appt, I was sick, I did not want to stand in a long line (heck--there were no long lines) etc etc. Yet, these are the people who will be the first to complain when somehting happens they do not like.

When the 2000 Pres election came up--I stood in a long line for over 2 hrs to place my vote. I also had been very sick with a bad case of the Flu and sick as heck - and shivering and with fever. Yet, I still voted.

• Was that a double post???

Only by accident. I tried to edit the first post, then it dissappeared, then I posted another only to find the first posting there. I tried to get into it and edit it but it will not let me do so.

Moderators, please delete my post I made to Dakota at 5:14 PM.

Thanks and best regards -- Carl.

• Carl - so true. With early voting now, there is no excuse for not voting. Too many of the people that gripe are the ones that did not take the time (and it is so little time) to vote.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I don't want to start an arguement on this point, that is not my intent, but I have faithfully voted in every election since I was old enough to do so. It has become more and more painfully appearant to me that we are now to a point that there is no real practical difference in what we have to vote for.

I am an unabashed conservative/constitutionalist/states rights type of person. I don't see a tinkers dam worth of difference between the "conservative" choices being put before us and the liberals.

Anyway, I'm not gonna get wound up about it but I think there are an awful lot of folks out there that just don't see the point in voting for someone who's being bought off by big money, and that you can only get to talk to you once every 4 years when they want your vote.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I don't want to start an arguement on this point, that is not my intent, but I have faithfully voted in every election since I was old enough to do so. It has become more and more painfully appearant to me that we are now to a point that there is no real practical difference in what we have to vote for.

I am an unabashed conservative/constitutionalist/states rights type of person. I don't see a tinkers dam worth of difference between the "conservative" choices being put before us and the liberals.

Anyway, I'm not gonna get wound up about it but I think there are an awful lot of folks out there that just don't see the point in voting for someone who's being bought off by big money, and that you can only get to talk to you once every 4 years when they want your vote.

I unequivocally agree with what you've said - every single point of it.

I voted in every single election from 1960 until 1990, again in 1994, 1998, 2000 and 2002. But for the past 6 or 7 years, I've detected very little difference in the way the two parties govern.

I'm no longer willing to vote for the lesser of two evils.

In the 1968 election, former Governor George Wallace of Alabama, running against Richard Nixon and Hubert Humphrey, hit the nail right on the head when he said, "There's not a dime's worth of difference between the two parties". I didn't believe that statement then but IMO, the past 6 or 7 years have proven him right. Until we get another take-no-prisoners conservative running for president, I doubt that I shall ever vote again. If it's a choice between tweedle-dumb and tweedle-dumber, to hell with all of 'em. And yes, I will complain.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I knew gasoline was much cheaper in the U.S. than in Europe. I've been saying ever since the first Arab oil embargo in the early Seventies that it's imperative the Western countries come up with an alternative. Let's face it, OPEC could flatten the world economy (which means the more developed countries such as Japan, most European countries and the US) by cutting off our oil supplies. You folks have the North Sea oil and we have quite a bit of oil in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and a few other locations but those resources aren't infinite. The West needs to initiate a crash project (similar to the Manhattan Project in WW2) to develop hydrogen as a fuel. Then we can tell the Arabs to stick their oil.

I wasn't aware that customer service was so bad in the UK. It's funny (actually, not funny at all) that the US seems to lag the UK and other European countries in unwelcome cultural developments but eventually adopt them also. Every time I read about something bad happening to European culture, I make a small bet with myself that it won't be long before the same thing shows up in America.

I agree entirely with you Jim. An alternative to oil is required as a matter of utmost urgency. Although oil resources round The Falklands and particularly Ireland are likely we cant live on them forever.

In terms of poltical parties I think they are all much the same. Do anything to get elected Do nothing once elected.

By the way political correctness should have been top of the lists for pet peeves That came from US in afraid!!!

Mike

• Actually, did not the PC thing originate in France about 100 or so years ago? Not that im making fun of the French or anything but, that's what I have been led to believe.

• Your just picking on the poor French again!! :stunned: I would say California 20 years ago for PC. Where was Sheryl Crow's (1 tissue of toilet paper) mother then!!!

The French did give us the guilotine. Shame we didnt take it up that option.

• Your just picking on the poor French again!! :stunned: I would say California 20 years ago for PC. Where was Sheryl Crow's (1 tissue of toilet paper) mother then!!!

The French did give us the guilotine. Shame we didnt take it up that option.

Heh heh heh, oops ;-D

I would almost bet that it all started in B~E~R~K~E~L~E~Y~ without much doubt. :glare:

• By the way political correctness should have been top of the lists for pet peeves That came from US in afraid!!!

I haven't done an in-depth study of its' origins but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the concept of "political correctness" sprang from the old Soviet Union. This article doesn't really say from whence it came.

But I have to agree with you - PC is definitely near the top of my list of pet peeves.

• I seem to recall reading somewhere that the concept of "political correctness" sprang from the old Soviet Union.

This article does seem to suggest that the roots of what we now call political correctness came from the old communist movement, although Gramsci was an Italian communist. Wherever it came from, it's a plague on mankind. Glad I ain't politically correct - in fact I absolutely delight in being politically incorrect. :evilgrin:

• I never have been, and never will be PC. I've never cared what people think about what I say. If certain races or cultures want their equality then maybe they should quit complaining about the past or making up new reasons to continue their problems. (i.e. Getting Imus fired was plain hypocritical with the statements that are made in certain music lyrics). Just call me the Archie Bunker of the 21st Century.

• I never have been, and never will be PC. I've never cared what people think about what I say. If certain races or cultures want their equality then maybe they should quit complaining about the past or making up new reasons to continue their problems. (i.e. Getting Imus fired was plain hypocritical with the statements that are made in certain music lyrics). Just call me the Archie Bunker of the 21st Century.

Why isn't Sharpton and Jackson protesting current cRAP music that basically does the same thing as Imus did?

Stay thirsty my friends.