Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 342,113 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Whew...... this must have belonged to one of those high rollers that got wiped out in the stock market crash. And my gosh, it has 26 bidders. That's unbelieveable.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I couldn't agree more.

For waaaaaay too many years, people in this country (especially the so-called baby boomers) have been living waaaaaay beyond their means. I don't know why (maybe their parents didn't teach them any different) but a majority of younger Americans think they're immediately entitled to all the amenities of modern living (such as new houses in nice neighborhoods, 2 or 3 cars, side-by-side refrigerators with ice and water in the door, the latest front-loading washers, ad infinitum) that their ancestors waited for until they were well up in years. (My youngest son is a perfect example of this type of thinking - though he has a salary of more than a hundred thou a year, he's always complaining about being deeply in debt. But he's extremely indulgent with his wife and kids (and himself), and is always buying expensive things and putting it all on credit cards.)

I hate to sound preachy or holier-than-thou but I'm an excellent money manager. The wife and I live very comfortably in a very nice house that's paid for, drive an '07 model toyota that's paid for, and have no monthly bills except for groceries and utilities. And our retirement income is less than half of what my son earns as a systems analyst.

People just have to learn to live within their means.

• In my part of the country, it's already below $3, and has been for a couple of weeks.

You know what is sad about gas prices? It got so high there for a while that we are now tickled silly when it comes down to $3.00 a gallon. That was their plan all along, if you ask me. Get the rice twice as high as they want it to be and than bring it down, giving the people a false feeling of relief that it is finally cheap gas. :dead:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• You know what is sad about gas prices? It got so high there for a while that we are now tickled silly when it comes down to $3.00 a gallon. That was their plan all along, if you ask me. Get the rice twice as high as they want it to be and than bring it down, giving the people a false feeling of relief that it is finally cheap gas. :dead:

Mark

I've had the very same thought, Mark. That maybe they're conditioning us to accept high-priced gasoline so that in the future, they can continue to charge such outrageous prices and we won't complain.

We need alternatives so we can tell OPEC where to stick their oil.

• Love this Littlejohn. His extremely eloquent (and accurate, I guess) description of a man he apparently dislikes a bit:laugh: is probably the most well-written blast I've read in many a year.

• This may all be true, and probably is, but the fact of the matter is, Republicans controlled Congress for 12 years (1994-2006) and could have put a stop to this crap. That they didn't shows what spineless and politically-correct jerks they are.

• This may all be true, and probably is, but the fact of the matter is, Republicans controlled Congress for 12 years (1994-2006) and could have put a stop to this crap. That they didn't shows what spineless and politically-correct jerks they are.

I do understanding helping, but if they are helped do they learn not to do stupid transactions again? We can't legislate against stupidity and the lack of accountability regardless of what Congress does.

• You know what is sad about gas prices? It got so high there for a while that we are now tickled silly when it comes down to $3.00 a gallon. That was their plan all along, if you ask me. Get the rice twice as high as they want it to be and than bring it down, giving the people a false feeling of relief that it is finally cheap gas. :dead:
    Mark

I have to agree, Mark! I noticed when the prices started to drop, everyone was so thrilled to see it drop below $3.50 gal., you'd think it was the latest thing since sliced bread! Not too, too long ago, gas prices were below $l.50 gal.!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I have to agree, Mark! I noticed when the prices started to drop, everyone was so thrilled to see it drop below $3.50 gal., you'd think it was the latest thing since sliced bread! Not too, too long ago, gas prices were below $l.50 gal.!

I would like to see who ever wins the election go after the oil companies. They have made billions from us while we had to cut back to get by.

I say this around the dinner table with the In-laws and they don't like it since their chosen son works for Exxon.:agent:

• I would like to see who ever wins the election go after the oil companies. They have made billions from us while we had to cut back to get by.

I say this around the dinner table with the In-laws and they don't like it since their chosen son works for Exxon.:agent:

I don't blame the oil companies for oil's high price nearly as much as I blame OPEC.

• Wish I could sit on this jury. In fact, if she's found guilty, I'd like to be the one who throws the switch.

I'd bet this witch killed her daughter and that was one of the sweetest, most innocent-looking little girls I've ever seen.

• Wish I could sit on this jury. In fact, if she's found guilty, I'd like to be the one who throws the switch.

I'd bet this witch killed her daughter and that was one of the sweetest, most innocent-looking little girls I've ever seen.

You may be right. Sad day.

I remember the woman in N Carolina who killed her two kids a few years ago by sinking the car while they were looking out the back window at her as it sunk.

What has gotten into people today?