Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,135 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This lousy economy is hittin' close to home.

A few nights ago a middle aged couple who live in my hometown, and who had at least one teenager living at home, committed suicide by standing on the train track that runs through the edge of town and letting the train hit them. The man lost his job a month or so ago (I don't know if his wife worked).

Sad..........

Christ on a bike,what can be that bad that you have to top yourself?
    to stand in front of a train as well blimey that takes some bottle.
    a very sad story though

VERY sad. And selfish (at least IMO). What about their child?? What were they thinking?? I have to think theirs was a life without faith in God, and sadly, they must have been under a terrible, terrible burden of desperation. Still no excuse to leave their child an orphan.

The story hits particularly close to home for me, because back in 1994, my brother (not yet 30 years old, but had problems with drugs and alcohol) "hit bottom" and stood in front of a train and waved at the engineer just before the train hit him. It darn near killed my dad - he was devastated.

So many people eventually find their way out of the hellacious pit of drug addiction or alcoholism, and that gives me hope for those who still suffer. However, my brother is the reality check for me (i.e., not everybody makes it out).

On that cheery note . . . :glare:

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Last night the wife told me there was another element of which we had been unaware. In addition to the job loss of the husband, it seems this couple were under investigation for child molestation. They kept foster children and it was suspected the man was molesting one of the teenage foster girls.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Interesting article with information of which I had heretofore been ignorant.

I had assumed that the news content in newspapers had always been objective and now I learn my assumption was wrong.

• I learned a long time ago that objective reporting is an ancient and outdated concept.

Let me rephrase my original comment - what I meant to say was that I had always thought newspaper reporting was supposed to be objective. Like you, I've known for a long time that it's not. But when I was a much younger, very naivé idealist, I foolishly believed in the fairness of our universe.

I've read numerous studies showing that journalists are overwhelmingly liberal and it sure shows in their reportage.

• Last night the wife told me there was another element of which we had been unaware. In addition to the job loss of the husband, it seems this couple were under investigation for child molestation. They kept foster children and it was suspected the man was molesting one of the teenage foster girls.

In their desperation to believe they are escaping judgment by suicide, when in reality they will stand before the throne of a judge who is righteous and holy. They will, I think wish they had not met that train in such an intimate manner.

• In their desperation to believe they are escaping judgment by suicide, when in reality they will stand before the throne of a judge who is righteous and holy. They will, I think wish they had not met that train in such an intimate manner.

I must apologize for violating one of my own prohibitions - that of gossiping. (I've scolded my wife for gossiping and here I'm doing the very same thing. I have no personal knowledge of this man and/or his wife molesting a foster child - I'm just passing on what one of the neighbor ladies told my wife and that in itself was more than likely gossip.)

Let me rephrase my original comment - what I meant to say was that I had always thought newspaper reporting was supposed to be objective.

In that case, I too have to admit that I thought newspapers were meant to be objective.
    I could actually understand more if I read that article all the way through instead of just wading into the fray, and for that I apologize.

• I have to admit that I thought newspapers were meant to be objective.

Several years ago, I was reading a news or magazine article (can't remember which) in which a reporter was trying to justify the liberalism of that profession by saying, in effect, "we're more caring (i.e., liberal) than other people because we see the worst of mankind every day" and I thought to myself, "what a bunch of BS" because generally speaking, members of the military and police are much more conservative than average people and yet, those two professions obviously see the worst mankind has to offer during the course of their work.

• too many do-gooders and tree-huggers over here running the show.
    we can't send our soldiers out with proper equipment but we can blow billions of £s on the olympics,which nobody outside of London wants anyway.
    the only people to benefit will be Londoners due to the new transport links they are building in the capital,the rest of us will just be paying for it and in all probability will never use.
    they could have used that money to build new hospitals and to pay the nurses a decent wage as well

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• too many do-gooders and tree-huggers over here running the show.
    we can't send our soldiers out with proper equipment but we can blow billions of £s on the olympics,which nobody outside of London wants anyway.
    the only people to benefit will be Londoners due to the new transport links they are building in the capital,the rest of us will just be paying for it and in all probability will never use.
    they could have used that money to build new hospitals and to pay the nurses a decent wage as well

Sounds exactly like the conditions in the U.S. - the ruling class and politicians live high on the hog while everything else goes to hell. What those jokers have never understood is that if the military wasn't defending their sorry asses, they'd go down the toilet.

• I've never in my life understood the reasoning behind this custom.

I know it's been going on for God only knows how long and is a tradition and all that but the whole thing seems utterly senseless to me.

• it's about time we had a revolution over here and got rid of all the MPs and get some normal,decent folk in positions of power.
    people who have been in the real world and who have done a hard days work not like the free-loaders we have now

• Hey Ned,
    Are you familiar with Kipling's verse "Tommy"? Truer words were never spoken than those.

no im afraid im not Stumpy,sorry.
    i must look it up and have a read

Edited once, last by luckynedpepper ().

• Each week I get a newsletter titled "This or That" with news from around the area where I grew up in southern Oklahoma. This weeks T&T had a picture of a cafe menu probably dating from sometime back in the Thirties or Forties (I've eaten here but it's probably been 50 or 60 years and I don't think they're still in business) Check out these unbelieveable prices:

Ah, for the good old days.