Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,399 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've already decided - when I win the big one, this is the house I'm gonna have built down in the Texas Hill Country. :wink_smile:

Oh, I forgot - I'm gonna have my kids build similar abodes within hollering distance and we're all gonna live happily ever after. :thumbs_up:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Pardon me if I fail to show any sympathy at all for their plight. As it says in the article itself, their wounds are mostly self-inflicted. IMO, their blatant bias and arrogance did them in.

• This could be a harder nut to crack than what we've faced in the Middle East. More dangerous, too, since it's closer to home.

These people might be the source of those threatening emails you've been getting, Bill.

• There is nothing like bed sheets that have dried outside in the sun! We got the following in an email, and know there are some here who will appreciate it.

Mrs. C :angel1:

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHES LINES:

You have to be a certain age to appreciate this. I can hear my mother now....

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHES LINES: (if you don't know what clotheslines are, better skip this)

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes- walk the entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.

2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail! What would the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday! . . . Never hang clothes on the weekend, or
    Sunday, for Heaven's sake!

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your
    "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!)

6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather . . . Clothes would "freeze-dry."

7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky!"

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.

9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED?! Well, that's a whole other subject!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A POEM

A clothesline was a news forecast
    To neighbors passing by.
    There were no secrets you could keep
    When clothes were hung to dry.
    It also was a friendly link
    For neighbors always knew
    If company had stopped on by
    To spend a night or two.
    For then you'd see the "fancy sheets"
    And towels upon the line;
    You'd see the "company table cloths"
    With intricate designs.
    The line announced a baby's birth
    From folks who lived inside -
    As brand new infant clothes were hung,
    So carefully with pride!
    The ages of the children could
    So readily be known
    By watching how the sizes changed,
    You'd know how much they'd grown!
    It also told when illness struck,
    As extra sheets were hung;
    Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
    Haphazardly were strung.
    It also said, "Gone on vacation now"
    When lines hung limp and bare.
    It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged
    With not an inch to spare!

New folks in town were scorned upon
    If wash was dingy and gray,
    As neighbors carefully raised their brows,
    And looked the other way . . .

But clotheslines now are of the past,
    For dryers make work much less.
    Now what goes on inside a home
    Is anybody's guess!

I really miss that way of life.
    It was a friendly sign
    When neighbors knew each other best

By what hung on the line!

• My wife washes and hangs our bedding on a clothesline once or twice a week. The other stuff she puts in a dryer but she insists the bedding (sheets, pillowcases, comforters, etc) be hung outside to dry because "they smell so much better when they've been dried outside" she says. And she's right.

• I totally agree with your wife, Stumpy. Nothing beats the smell of sheets off the line when you climb into bed at night.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Although a believer in a "Supreme Being", I'm not a particularly religious person. In fact, earlier in my life, I called myself an agnostic.

But having said that, I wonder if this development may have anything to do with the fact that our country appears to be on the skids. After all, the Founders all professed to believe that America was blessed by the Man above and throughout our history, a large majority of Americans have adhered to the same credo.

• Stumpy Thanks for putting that up !
    :wink_smile:
    Remember This Country The U.S.A. was Started By Men That Beleaved in a Higher Power , Most Went to Some kind of Church, But not All !!
    :teeth_smile:
    Many of The People that First Made Up this Country Were Masons and You Must Beleave in A Higher Power or Some kind of God to Be A Mason !!!
    :wink:
    John Wayne was a 33Rd. Degree Mason Also and Beleaved in A Higher Power, But Did Not Like The Organized Church !!!!
    Bill
    :cowboy:

• :wink:
    John Wayne Did Not Like The Organized Church !!!!
    Bill
    :cowboy:

Neither do I, Bill. Too many hypocrites and fanatics.

Far as I'm concerned, all a person has to do is look upon some of the wondrous things in nature, such as the Grand Canyon, Rocky Moutains, Pacific Ocean, etc., to realize that so many wonderful creations weren't just an accident.

• This is a letter somebody wrote to the IRS. I thought it was kinda humorus and when you read thru the list of the taxes paid it is kinda frustrating at least to me. Especially when so much of it is wasted and little goes into road and highway systems and the things that are important. Now I dont want nothing from the govt whatsoever, but I do expect a return on my tax investment. Not in the way of a stupid stimulus check or health care, but in roads and bridges, and schools (when they use it wisely for things they really need and not a new athletic bus). Things of that nature.

"Dear IRS, I'm sorry to inform you that I'm not going to be able to pay the taxes owed on April 15th, but all is not lost. I paid these taxes, accounts receivable tax, building permit tax, CDL tax, corporate income tax, dog license tax, federal income tax, unemployment tax, gas tax, hunting license tax, fishing license tax, waterfowl stamp tax, inheritance tax, inventory tax, liquor tax, luxury tax, Medicare tax, city tax, school and county property tax up to 33% the last four years. Real estate tax, Social Security tax, road use tax, toll road tax, state and city sales tax, recreational vehicle tax, sales franchise tax, state unemployment tax, federal excise tax, telephone tax, telephone federal state and local surcharge tax, telephone minimum usage surcharge tax, telephone state and local tax, utility tax, vehicle tax, registration tax, capital gains tax, lease severance tax, oil and gas assessment tax, Colorado property tax, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Mexico sales tax and many more I can't recall and I've run out of space and money. When you do not receive my check April 15th, just know that it was an honest mistake. Please treat me the same as the way you've treated Congressman Charlie Rangel, Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, ex-congressman Tom Daschle and, of course, your boss, Timothy Geithner. No penalties, no interest. PS, I'll make at least a partial payment as soon as I get my stimulus check.

• Until I was about 18, I had vast respect for teachers but the public education system has become such a joke (only it's not funny) in the past 25 or 30 years that I just can't sympathize with situations like this.

I truly believe that high school diplomas in my day were the equivalent of most bachelor degrees today.

I don't know how it is in other states but in Texas, high school coaches are in many cases paid more than teachers, which is totally ridiculous. Also, the number of administrators and educational hangers-on has ballooned to the point that it's outrageous. Hell, assistant principals nowadays have subordinate principals. Also, there are nurses who do no nursing, 65 office secretaries, and assorted other make-work jobs. All paid by the tax payers, of course.

• From what ive seen growing up in the 80s and 90s schools put more emphasis on sports than education. When kids in the late 1800s went to school they didnt go as long as we do now. But i saw a test that was administered in nebraska as a requirement to graduate and it was way beyond my 12th grade knowledge. Now they wont hurt anyones feelings by flunking them so they lower the standard i think. Ive learned more on my own than i ever learned in school i think. Just my view Stumpy. Course as you can see i cant write a proper structured sentence and paragraph lol. So maybe i have no room to talk.

Edited once, last by FarmerSteve ().