Random Observations

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 340,421 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Whatever they do, I don't like the opinions of people who do it for a living. Let's face it, the professional opinions of critics are subjective, NOT objective.
    Opinions are like noses in that most people have one and why should their opinions count more than the opinions of other people?

Very good point! The only reason the critics seem to have a stronger voice is that they have a forum to voice their opinions!
    BTW - Since I'm retired, maybe I don't fall under your parameters!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Very good point! The only reason the critics seem to have a stronger voice is that they have a forum to voice their opinions!
    BTW - Since I'm retired, maybe I don't fall under your parameters!

I wasn't aware that you were a professional critic, Jay, but if you were, I still believe the opinions of professional critics shouldn't be given more weight than those of ordinary people.

As I said, and as I strongly believe, opinions are subjective and depend on several factors, including but not limited to: education, experience, ideology, parents' influence (and the infuence of almost anyone with whom you come in contact), upbringing, and so forth and so on.

But it's like you said, the professionals have a public forum and ordinary citizens don't.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• As you probably noticed, Jay, I omitted one of the most important elements that influence opinions and that's age. The young just don't think like people our age. For instance, we often read that Joe Blow (whom I've never heard of) is the most popular movie actor and has just starred in "The Lost World Meets Batman" (or whatever) and chances are, I've never heard of either the actor or film. Conversely, millions of youngsters don't know who John Wayne is (unfortunately).

I read an article today on the web entitled "Why Chinese Mothers Are the Best" or something like that and the main theme of the article was how Chinese mothers drive their children unmercifully to excel in whatever undertaking they're involved in, be it education, music and every other aspect of life. Very thought-provoking article. The Chinese are eating our lunch right now and unless there's a 180 degree reversal of American attitudes, we're going the way of the ancient Greeks and Romans. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. Here's a link to that article.

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• I was wondering if it's just me or if other folks have noticed that quite often in today's TV shows and movies, the musical score drowns out the dialogue to the point one can't understand what the actors are saying. I like music but not to the point I can't understand a film's dialogue. Sure gets aggravating.

• It's not you, Stumpy. It drives me nuts. As I get older, my hearing isn't what it use to be, and the more difficult I find it to hear some dialogue in films over the background music. Like you said....Aggravating!!!!

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I was just wondering - have any of you folks watched the so-called prequel to "Lonesome Dove"? The title is "Comanche Moon" and it stars Val Kilmer plus others with whom I'm not familiar. Supposedly, it's a pretty good Western. Amazon has it for $9.99, which is a very good price for 200-and-something minutes of Western action.

A week or so ago I bought the boxed set of Tom Selleck's Jesse Stone TV movies, in which he plays a police chief in the small town of Paradise, Massachusetts. I've been watching those films and one of them has a preview of the above-named Western which piqued my curiosity.

BTW, the Tom Selleck films aren't bad. And as an aside, I can't believe how much Tom has aged since his Magnum days. His face looks downright craggy and lined compared to Magnum.

• I think Selleck's face has just gained more character with age.
    BTW - He is currently doing CBS's "Blue Bloods" - He is playing the Police Commissioner with a family predominately active on the police force. GOOD SHOW!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Well, at least Selleck is acting like a grown-up in his latest roles. I used to get pretty disgusted with his silly little giggles and teenage ways in Magnum.

• I was just wondering - have any of you folks watched the so-called prequel to "Lonesome Dove"? The title is "Comanche Moon" and it stars Val Kilmer plus others with whom I'm not familiar. Supposedly, it's a pretty good Western. Amazon has it for $9.99, which is a very good price for 200-and-something minutes of Western action.

I have it, Stumpy. While Commanche Moon (Prequel) and Streets of Loredo (Sequel) don't come close to the greatness that was Lonesome Dove, they arn't bad on their own. For $9.99, you can't go wrong. There's also another prequel out there titled Dead Man's Walk that was my least favorite out of the series, but bearable to watch. If you can get any of these for that price, grab them.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I have it, Stumpy. While Commanche Moon (Prequel) and Streets of Loredo (Sequel) don't come close to the greatness that was Lonesome Dove, they arn't bad on their own. For $9.99, you can't go wrong. There's also another prequel out there titled Dead Man's Walk that was my least favorite out of the series, but bearable to watch. If you can get any of these for that price, grab them.

Mark

Thanks for the info, Mark. I've seen "Streets of Laredo" and didn't much care for it but think I'll take your advice and go ahead and buy "Comanche Moon". As you say, the price is right.
    Jim

• BTW, the Tom Selleck films aren't bad. And as an aside, I can't believe how much Tom has aged since his Magnum days. His face looks downright craggy and lined compared to Magnum.

As for Selleck's aging, he last played Magnum at age 43, and he just turned 65!

Plus, he's not had any work done. I don't think he's aged THAT horribly much, his face has just gotten a bit more "filled out" since then.

Well, from a 50+ woman's point of view, Tom Selleck is just as handsome as ever, just in a more 'mature' way. Kind of like John Wayne, who was a very handsome young man, and a very attractive older man (hm-m-m . . . just like Chester, too!). (Sigh . . . fluttering hand over heart while looking upward . . . no smiley for that)

I was wondering if it's just me or if other folks have noticed that quite often in today's TV shows and movies, the musical score drowns out the dialogue to the point one can't understand what the actors are saying. I like music but not to the point I can't understand a film's dialogue. Sure gets aggravating.

No, it's NOT just you! One reason I much prefer watching most things on DVD is that I have the option (most of the time) to utilize the captions. It's much easier to follow along with what's going on in the story that way.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• I've been saying for years that probably 60 or 70 percent of the kids in college have no business being there - that a great number are there merely to party and "hang out".

When I was a kid, back in the Forties and Fifties, only the truly intelligent and ambitious high school graduates attended university. The rest of us rolled up our sleeves and embarked on lifetimes of blue-collar work. Of course, back then a person could find a job capable of supporting a family with just a high school education. Nowadays, the education industry (and that's what it has become) has convinced students and their parents that to succeed in life, one must have a college degree.

Well, to use an old Texas metaphor, "I've met many college graduates who couldn't pour p!ss out of a boot, with instructions printed on the heel."

• Well, to use an old Texas metaphor, "I've met many college graduates who couldn't pour p!ss out of a boot, with instructions printed on the heel."

:))): What a good laugh to get the day started!!! I WILL remember this very colorful way of describing someone stupid! (Kind of reminds me of erthomp's signature quote :wink_smile:)

• I WILL remember this very colorful way of describing someone stupid!

We old Texas country boys have many more off-the-wall metaphors to describe various situations, events and people but the one you mention is one of my favorites to describe those individuals lacking common sense or intellect. And as I said, I've met all kinds of college grads who meet the criteria.

I'm fairly smart myself but I got my education back in the Forties and Fifties, when teachers took their calling a lot more seriously than they do nowadays. I truly believe that for many people, a high school diploma awarded back then is the equivalent of a modern bachelor's degree.

• We old Texas country boys have many more off-the-wall metaphors to describe various situations

Have you ever heard the one about exceptionally cold weather, Chester?

"It's colder than a well-digger's a$$ in the Klondike".

When it's that cold, brother, you'd better be looking for shelter. (newyr)

• I've always been a big fan of Mark Steyn's and this Steyn column is one of his very best and unfortunately, most perceptive.

He both documents and forecasts the final decline of English-speaking civilization. I'm inclined to agree with his belief that this country will follow its' progenitor into the dustbin of history.