Water or Coke?

There are 66 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 15,767 times. The latest Post () was by SXViper.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Most of the time I had to drink the Navy coffee when I was woke up for a 12 - 4 or 4 - 8 JOOD watch on the bridge or the quarterdeck depending on whether we were underway at the time. Pls a 24 hour sea and anchor every time we went thru the Panama Canal.

• Most of the time I had to drink the Navy coffee when I was woke up for a 12 - 4 or 4 - 8 JOOD watch on the bridge or the quarterdeck depending on whether we were underway at the time. Pls a 24 hour sea and anchor every time we went thru the Panama Canal.

I am with you there. Those mid watches were killer. But not as bad as mid-rats were!! Some of those left overs from dinner should have been jettisoned out the torpedo tubes!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Those mid watches were killer.

I'll never forget the first mid-watch I ever stood. It was in boot-camp and naturally I went to sleep and got caught by the OOD. Spent a week or so cleaning the head. :ohmy:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Well, my mid-rats weren't so bad since I had a key to the kitchen. I was LPO of the Supply Department so I had my laundry done and pressed for me and mid-rats is whatever I found in the fridge.

My only problem in boot camp was when I was getting up one day, didn't have my glasses on so I could see the hand in front of my face, the CC comes in and I didn't yell Attention on Deck so I got 4 hours of PT.

My best time was standing the JOOD midwatch watch underway the night of my Golden Shellback initiation and getting to write the log entry since it was also New Years Eve. A whole 5 pages of pure poetry. I have a copy but can't post it. Those of you in the Navy will know what I mean.

• I crossed the equator over by the Seychelles islands north of Madagascar. It was one hell of a good time. I have pictures someplace of me yelling for Flipper, having all my clothes on inside out and backwards, ect..............

-John Wayne

• Seeing how I made the Golden you know it's SW of Midway Island. And I had one advantage that I didn't have to do all the nasty stuff since I knew who King Neptune was and that gave me a free pass... lol It wasn't hard working in personal since they made a Page 13 entry for these operations and awards.

• I don't know how you guys can drink this stuff without always having suger and milk in it? That is also the only way I can drink hot tea as well. I tried substituting honey for suger and that juuuuust works.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I don't know how you guys can drink this stuff without always having suger and milk in it? That is also the only way I can drink hot tea as well. I tried substituting honey for suger and that juuuuust works.

I tried that hot tea once and really didn't care for it. Had to find some ice to make it bearable.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• I gave up all sodas on December 31, 2004 and had none since. So, I guess I prefer water, which I do drink a lot of and Tea. Not much of a coffee drinker either. I do have one every once in a while.

Cheer :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I tried that hot tea once and really didn't care for it. Had to find some ice to make it bearable.

Oh I DEFINATELY love Ice tea. It has to be sweetened though. I can drink a pitcher full of it when I go to the Cracker-Barrell restaurant. Drives my buddy Bill crazy to see me drink so much tea. I """gently"""" remind him that he drinks way more beer in a sitting than I can of tea. And the only thing that keeps me from drinking more tea, is all the caffeine that is sloshing through my system--and I just MIGHT want to be able to go to sleep that night. ;-))

Dang, I wish I had a pitcher of C.B. tea just now :beer: :hyper: :thumbs_up:

• Nah, I do that to make the water taste more fresh and it resembles the taste you get as if it were Well Water. I hate drinking City Water--because of all those additives that put into it. Since I live in the city and can't get well water, I started slicing a lemon in half, and placing that half in my glass of water. That takes away all the bad tastes.

BTW, they also sell Lemonaid at Cracker Barell. But watch out though, that stuff is the strongest tasting lemonaid I have ever had. It's good but has to be "cut" with more water.

GT, that gal Heather I was talking to you about, she makes the best lemonaid I have ever had. I wish I were still in touch with her (and if so, I would be married to her years ago) and if that were the case, you would be invited to come our way and try some of her cooking--as well as lemonaid. Not only is she beautiful, but has a great personality and is a great cook.

• Seeing how I made the Golden you know it's SW of Midway Island. And I had one advantage that I didn't have to do all the nasty stuff since I knew who King Neptune was and that gave me a free pass... lol It wasn't hard working in personal since they made a Page 13 entry for these operations and awards.

I didn't want to discuss meeting the "royal" family as digging a cherry out of the baby's belly button brings back bad memories!!!! :stunned: :ohmy: :teeth_smile: Peanut butter, cheries and belly button lint!! Thank god for the salt water shower at the end!! HEHEHE!!!

-John Wayne

• I crossed the equator over by the Seychelles islands north of Madagascar. It was one hell of a good time. I have pictures someplace of me yelling for Flipper, having all my clothes on inside out and backwards, ect..............

I became a shellback in 1956 aboard the USS Essex, on a trip to Sydney down under. I imagine the initiation back then was a little rougher and raunchier than what they have in these politically-correct times.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Mine was in 1987. We were not treated to bad but there was some definite humliation going on as some guys let those old fire hoses that were cut to make a good loud crack on your behind, go to there heads. Flying down the garbage shoot was not a fun thing to do either as the garbage was about a week out. Once again, thank god for the salt water shower!!!

-John Wayne

• I left before women were allowed on combat ships... so my initiation was down and dirty, fat baby's belly, garbage shoot, and paddle brigade. I remember the cooks being told to save the garbage for 3 - 4 days before the crossing. And the skipper always kept enough beer onboard for two per sailor. Not many skippers did that when I was in. This was the only time I ever saw him break it out. As I said though, I got to watch a lot of it by guessing who King Neptune was before the event.

I'm sure today it's so watered down that it's not even fun anymore or they scream harassment.