No Sean Connery for Next Indiana Jones Movie

There are 19 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,329 times. The latest Post () was by DukePilgrim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Connery bows out of Indiana film

The former James Bond star has not acted on screen since 2003

Sir Sean Connery has announced that he will not be playing Harrison Ford's father in the next Indiana Jones film.
    "If anything could have pulled me out of retirement, it would have been an Indiana Jones film," the 76-year-old said in a statement on its website.
    "But in the end, retirement is just too damned much fun," he continued.
    Ray Winstone, Cate Blanchett and John Hurt will be appearing alongside Ford in Steven Spielberg's film, scheduled to open in May 2008.
    Sir Sean, who played Dr Henry Jones in 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, said he had "thought long and hard" about reprising his role.
    Demand that the critters be digital, the cliffs be low, and keep that whip by your side at all times

Sir Sean Connery

"I love working with Steven and George [Lucas], and it goes without saying that it is an honour to have Harrison as my son."
    Having not appeared on screen since 2003, however, he "thought it best to make an announcement".
    "I, do however, have one bit of advice for Junior," he added.
    "Demand that the critters be digital, the cliffs be low, and for goodness sake keep that whip by your side at all times in case you need to escape from the stunt coordinator!
    "This is a remarkable cast, and I can only say, 'Break a leg, everyone.'"
    Pacino (right) received the AFI's 35th Life Achievement Award

Daredevil archaeologist Indiana Jones first appeared on screen in Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981.
    The fourth instalment has been in development for more than a decade. Sir Sean was in Los Angeles on Thursday to see actor Al Pacino receive a life achievement award from the American Film Institute. Winona Ryder, Kirk Douglas and Pacino's Ocean's 13 co-star Andy Garcia also attended the event at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood.

• Well rats! I hate that he's thrown in the towel.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I can understand Sir Sean's decision. Retirement is not such a bad approach as long as you have activities that keep your mind (not necessarily your body) going. ..Still, he will be missed as Indiana Jones' father.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• My gosh, he's old and should be retired. It should be the same for Harrison Ford. It has been a long time and he's in his 60's. This might be a good movie but they need a younger Indiana Jones. I love all the old actors, but I do find it a little difficult believing that these old ones trying to play the young man's parts.

I am younger than Harrison Ford, and I wouldn't play or do what they do in my age.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I suppose better to leave at the top on a high than linger on to the end.

Both have left a legacy of work and the old saying is leave them wanting more.

I wish some of the old dinosaurs of music would do the same. Watching some of them rock n rolling in their sixties soon to be seventies is beyond a joke and whatever voices they had are completely shot.

Mike

• I wish some of the old dinosaurs of music would do the same. Watching some of them rock n rolling in their sixties soon to be seventies is beyond a joke and whatever voices they had are completely shot.
    Mike

Yes, it is rather sad to see some of those dinosaurs trying to relive the past.

As far as Sean Connery retiring, thats also sad, The Mrs and I would love to see him in one more Indy movie.

Chester :newyear:

• I heard that he was just sick of the crap that is now hollywood--and decided that even being offered some 20 mil a picture--that it would be better to just retire and he did say that he has more money than he could ever spend. Personally, I don't blame him for leaving at all.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I can understand his desire to retire, but having been "retired" for nine months (aside from the hot dog cart), I also have the desire to go back to work at times. I know Duke never thought of retiring, he enjoyed keeping his fans happy, and I imagine Sean has thoughts like that every now and then, also.

Chester :newyear:

• I think Sean is just right to retire and walk away. He has made enough films to leave his legacy and I dont think he needs the money.

Duke was different in that being wiped out twice by financial diasasters three times if you count The Alamo plus two divorces and he had to support his family circle.

If he had been given a choice I think John Wayne would have moved into directing like Eastwood with only cameo appearances

Mike

• I heard that he was just sick of the crap that is now hollywood--and decided that even being offered some 20 mil a picture--that it would be better to just retire and he did say that he has more money than he could ever spend. Personally, I don't blame him for leaving at all.

I think he would be even richer today if he didn't have a couple of ne'er-do-wells looking after his finances down the line!

"Not hardly!!!"

• I think he would be even richer today if he didn't have a couple of ne'er-do-wells looking after his finances down the line!

Hi Jay, aint that the truth! The same type of thing alos happened to Burt Ward (Robin in Batman) and sorta like part of Audie Murphy's "downfall."

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Well...if Mr. Connery does not want to be in the the next "Indy" movie, how about they get someone else like Clint Eastwood to play Indy's long lost Uncle?

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• It's a long shot, but perhaps Sir Sean will reflect about returning to the Indiana Jones project and change his mind! Far fetched, I know, but one can only hope.

"Not hardly!!!"