New Movie Discussion

There are 141 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 36,841 times. The latest Post () was by WaynamoJim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Now I got something to be excited about! I'm glad that the Western hasn't been totally pushed aside. I love Ed Harris and am looking foward to seeing how he does as a cowboy.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I'll second that motion. I think this may be the first Western for Ed Harris. I've liked him in most of his movies.

I think you are correct.

I also like Viggo, so I am really looking forward to this one!!

I think with last years remake of 3:10 to Yuma and now with this one that Hollywierd might be loosening up alittle and going back to the western. Hopefully this starts a long line of western's.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hopefully this starts a long line of western's.

Amen, Brother Todd.

You took the words right out of my mouth! :ohmy:

I think the release of another Western is a VERY good thing, and bodes well for the genre. Every one that has come out has done fairly well - I don't think any of them bombed - Open Range, 3:10 to Yuma . . . goin' blank now, but I'm sure there have been others in recent years . . . . They don't come out often, but when they do . . .

Chester :newyear:

• Hopefully if western's start getting made more frequently again they will not CGI them up so they are hokey. I can deal with CGI in a comic book/fantasy movie but if they have to CGI a western, I think something get's lost. Especially when they made western's for so many years with out CGI.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Todd -
    I thank you too for that link! Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson are favorites, Jeremy Irons plays baddies to the hilt and the supporting cast of well-known character actors bodes well for this movie. I was hooked after I watched the trailer.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I see Appaloosa has gathered $9,000,000 dollars so far at the box office with very little coverage. Any one seen it ? Any opinions?

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/APLOS.php

I'm waiting for the DVD release.

The latest Indiana Jones flick (Crystal Skull, or whatever) is being released on DVD this coming Tuesday. I'm eager to see it.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• This movie was just released on DVD in the states. IMO, it's one of Scott's best. An excellent film, made from an excellent story by one of my favorite authors, Joseph Wambaugh. Highly recommended.

• I see Appaloosa has gathered $9,000,000 dollars so far at the box office with very little coverage. Any one seen it ? Any opinions?

I don't remember having heard of it before, but it sounds pretty decent, based on at least one review I read (not for the kids due to language and violence, however). It just opened at a local theater, so maybe we'll have a chance to see it. We'll let you know if we do!

Chester :newyear:

• This movie was just released on DVD in the states. IMO, it's one of Scott's best. An excellent film, made from an excellent story by one of my favorite authors, Joseph Wambaugh. Highly recommended.

I havent seen The New Centurions since mid 1970s when it was on TV. It is a good movie but I dont like Scott that much.

• I dont like Scott that much.

As mentioned in this biography. maybe it was his "truculent demeanor and raspy voice" that turned you off, Mike. :wink_smile:
    But he did turn in some great performances in various roles. I really liked his acting in "Anatomy of a Murder", "Patton", "The Hustler" and "The New Centurions", even though he didn't play a very likable character in any of 'em.

• Old George's "truculent demeanor" was really on display in this film. Though it didn't get much attention by the critics or at the box office, I kinda enjoyed it because he was giving the "establishment" hell and I'm not a big admirer of the establishment either, as you've probably guessed. :teeth_smile::teeth_smile: