Aluminum Overcast B17G

There are 23 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,737 times. The latest Post () was by Jay J. Foraker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Only the airplane or WW2 buffs will know what the last part of my title means.

Anyways, our airport in Rochester, MN this weekend is hosting a restored B-17G Flying Fortress. You can tour it or fly in it. Cost to fly in it is $399. I don't have $400 laying around so I opted for the tour. I am interested in most things from WW2, not as knowledgable as Ringo or a good friend of mine, so I went with my friend to tour the plane. The name of the plane is "Aluminum Overcast". It was never in combat but a outfit out of Oshkosh, WI have it and go around showing it and taking people for rides. Its delivery date was May 18, 1945. So it never seen combat. But as Bill I am sure will attest, it is a magnificent site to see. No new plane except maybe a B-52, in my mind holds you in awe like these bombers from that era. They also had a AT-6 trainer there as well and I watched both of them take off and land, truly incredible. Here is the link to there website where you can see pictures and more information on the plane: www.b17.org .

About 2 years back they had a B24 Liberator and a B29 Superfortress that I toured. Now I only need to see a P51 Mustang, a Messerschmitt BF109, and a Focke Wulf FW190 and my life would be complete for that part of it anyways. I still want to see some WW2 German tanks though!!

I just thought some of you guys might be interested in this.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Back when I was a single man...and had money, I went up in a B-17 called Sentimental Journey. At the time, it was operated by the Confederate Air Force, which was renamed the Commemorative Air Force, I think.

After growing up around a number of men who had flown planes in WWII, like the P-38,
    P-47, P-40, C-46, and B-24, and after watching Robert Conrad and that wonderful show called Baa Baa Black Sheep, I always wanted to go up in one of those planes instead of just dream about it.

My sister moved to Florida, and on a trip to see her, I went up in an AT-6. Although it was quite expensive, there's nothing like it. The men who flew those planes and engaged in dogfights without the precision weapons we have now are something else.

Of course, so are the men and women who are flying and fighting now.

• Hi Jake, thanks for the comments. Someday I will be in one of them, not just right now.

Also, welcome to the site. Hope you stick around and join in on more conversations.

-John Wayne

• Hello and welcome to the site, Jake Cutter. Hope to see you become a regular here with these other fine fans. I've never been up in a plane before, but if I ever do, I would want it to be in a WWII era plane. You're almost in awe when you see these planes in person.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Jake Cutter,

We'd like to join the others in welcoming you to the John Wayne Message Board!

These old war birds hold a special place in my heart. I've been to about six different military airplane museums across the country, including the Smithsonian. Sadly, every now and then, one of them is involved in a crash, which of course makes the remaining ones even more rare and special.

One of the most interesting stories I heard a while back was that several B25s did a flyover at the rest home where Jimmy Doolittle was living, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Jake,

I have found this thread, very interesting, but
    I must admit, not a subject I know anything about,
    However, I'll take this opportunity to say,

WELCOME to the JWMB

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• A few years ago I got a call from a Man that said They were going to have the B-17 "The Aluminum Overcast" at the Deer Valley Airport in Phoenix on the Next Weekend, and They would Love to Have A Old Bomber Pilot there to tell some of those Old War Stories to the People that were Going to take a Ride in the Aircraft. I said Sure I will be there but I was in B - 29s Not B - 17s.
    :yeaahh:

He said "If You Come Down You Will Be Able to Say You Flew A B - 17" and that was enough for me, and Boy I had a Ball !!!
    :hyper:
    A month or so went by, and I Recieved a Great Flight Jacket with a Big Picture of The Aluminum Overcast on The Back of the Jacket and a Pair of "The Aluminum Overcast Wings" on the Left Front with My Name Below The Wings. I will be Wearing it when I Fly over to Santa Fe, New Mexico on Monday !

You can go to My Site for a Look At The Aluminum Overcast B - 17.

• That's what the plane looked like. Boy, I sure wish you were up here over the weekend Bill. Maybe you could have gotten me in on a VIP ride!!!

Once I get the pictures from my friend I will post some as well.

-John Wayne

• Hi Todd, thanks for this. About 4 months ago, another B-17 (I don't know what class) was here offering rides. A local TV reporter went up in it doing a story. It must have really been very cool to do so.

You struck me when you mentioned a P51 Mustang. The P51-D Mustang is my absolute favorite warbird of WWII very closely followed by the Messerschmidt, FW 109 and P40 Warhawk. Now one can see why I have such a love affair with WWII stuff. Just take a long look at the Mustang for starters.

As for German tanks, the only places here in the states I can think of that have German tanks are at the Patton Museum and another museum (I currently cannot think of its name but) sadly, at this outdoor museum, all the tanks are rusting away >:-(( They will not even allow volunteers to go repaint them. Also, any others one might see, are usually part of someones collection and are out just for show. Recently in England, I had read that someone recently got a Tiger tank back in running condition. :thumbs_up:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• [quote='Jake Cutter','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=50595#post50595']Back when I was a single man...and had money, I went up in a B-17 called Sentimental Journey. At the time, it was operated by the Confederate Air Force, which was renamed the Commemorative Air Force, I think.

Aw man!, say it aint so! I sure hope they have not changed their name to be politically correct. Grrrrrr

• As for German tanks, the only places here in the states I can think of that have German tanks are at the Patton Museum and another museum (I currently cannot think of its name but) sadly, at this outdoor museum, all the tanks are rusting away >:-(( They will not even allow volunteers to go repaint them. Also, any others one might see, are usually part of someones collection and are out just for show. Recently in England, I had read that someone recently got a Tiger tank back in running condition. :thumbs_up:

Ringo,
    There's a guy in our neck of the woods, in the hills of Palo Alto, named Jock Littlefield, who has a collection of approximately 300 tanks from all around the world, along with other artillery pieces and track vehicles. The last time I visited there, about two or three years ago, he was working on a Tiger tank, which had been found in a river in Poland, if I remember correctly. He was having to recreate the turret out of almost nothing, as he has a six-bay restoration building with an overhead crane for pulling turrets. If I can find the pictures I took of this, I will try to post or send some of them to you. He has the best pieces of this collection in three buildings, each one about the size of a football field. It must be nice to have that kind of money, and to have a hobby like that to spend it on. When I first met the guy, about ten or twelve years ago, I asked him how he got started in the hobby of collecting old military vehicles, and he mentioned that he bought a WWII scout car in the town of Fremont, CA, in the seventies. Ironically, I had tracked down the owner of that same scout car and had contemplated buying it myself. If I had the kind of money he did, maybe I would have gone off on the same tangent . . . . The Mrs. adds, "Thank goodness he only has two military vehicles!" :headbonk:

• Ringo,
    There's a guy in our neck of the woods, in the hills of Palo Alto, named Jock Littlefield, who has a collection of approximately 300 tanks from all around the world, along with other artillery pieces and track vehicles. The last time I visited there, about two or three years ago, he was working on a Tiger tank, which had been found in a river in Poland, if I remember correctly. He was having to recreate the turret out of almost nothing, as he has a six-bay restoration building with an overhead crane for pulling turrets. If I can find the pictures I took of this, I will try to post or send some of them to you. He has the best pieces of this collection in three buildings, each one about the size of a football field. It must be nice to have that kind of money, and to have a hobby like that to spend it on. When I first met the guy, about ten or twelve years ago, I asked him how he got started in the hobby of collecting old military vehicles, and he mentioned that he bought a WWII scout car in the town of Fremont, CA, in the seventies. Ironically, I had tracked down the owner of that same scout car and had contemplated buying it myself. If I had the kind of money he did, maybe I would have gone off on the same tangent . . . . The Mrs. adds, "Thank goodness he only has two military vehicles!" :headbonk:

Hi Jim, I have heard of this guy you speak about. There is another who has a collection of about 200 tanks, tracked vehicles and artillery pieces. This guy lives up somewhere in the Dakotas or Michegan Illinios area--can't remember which. Anyway, this guy has a fulltime staff of 6 mechanics--who locate, buy, and fix what they find. This guy too has a Mk V. I think it was the Discovery Channel--that was allowed to film there while they were working on the Tiger. This guy inherited some 2 or 4 billion dollars--from his father. His collection is stored on garages on land he owns--womwhere almost in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, on German vehicles, they dig up stuff all the time all over Eastern Europe. The last item I heard about that was found-and rescued--was a German Stug III (Sturmgeschutze 3) or Assault Gun, from a swamp in Lithuania. Another that was in the news a few years ago--was a SDKFZ Halftracked-artillery Schlepper--that was pulled out of some lake in Russia proper. And recently, they found the base legs for a FLAK 88, in someones backyard somewhere in Czecholslovakia. This thing had been buried since 45--and noone ever knew it was there-until owners of said property-decided to put in some new sewage pipes.

• That would be cool to find parts of a 88 in my backyard!! That thing was a thumper with a capitol "T" !!!

-John Wayne

• That would be cool to find parts of a 88 in my backyard!! That thing was a thumper with a capitol "T" !!!

You can definately say that again!

A few years ago when I went to the big Militaria show in Houston, I met an elderly gent who lived in Houston - who had been a Sergeant in the Luftwaffe, and had served as the leader of the crew of a FLAK 88. This man lost his hearing in his left ear because of bearby bomb blasts. Also, I have a friend who lives in Grants Pass, Oregon, who collects parts for 88's. About 3 years ago, he found and bought a 1943 dated 88mm shell--paid $600.00 for it. The shell is not live of course. ;-)) Nowdays, these go for in excess of $1,000.

• I'm a huge World War II nut. I collect digital files of actual war radio broadcasts in some weird attempt to experience those days. I read books and books on the subject. My grandfather went ashore on D-Day.

I've had the honor of seeing many planes from this era at various air shows...P-51, F-4U, P-38, T-6, B-29, B-17, B-24, DC-3, etc. There is nothing like watching one of the heavy bombers as it makes a pass and gracefully turns. Beautiful and awe inspiring. I think the sound from the engines of any of these planes is one of the most beautiful sounds anyone can ever experience. You can hear it for miles and miles, and you know exactly what it is.

• they have had those WWII tour planes here in the philly area from time to time. like you said $400 is a lot of money.almost went for it but passed. next time i'll dig a little deeper.i've flown in a glider ,biplane and held the controls of a single engine once.chill bill is one lucky dude.:angel1:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• hi everyone

we have a ww1 german tank at the museum in brisbane. years ago it was displayed outside with no cover and as kids we climbed all over it now they have it in a class case temp controled. the german government ask for it back a few years ago as they didnt have one of these tanks themselves but the queensland government said NO they sent the plans of the tank so that the germans could build one. this tank was captured by a queensland unit during the great war. it still stands with the damage it received during the battle. this is one tank that noone will ever get there hands on:teeth_smile:

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• hi everyone

we have a ww1 german tank at the museum in brisbane. years ago it was displayed outside with no cover and as kids we climbed all over it now they have it in a class case temp controled. the german government ask for it back a few years ago as they didnt have one of these tanks themselves but the queensland government said NO they sent the plans of the tank so that the germans could build one. this tank was captured by a queensland unit during the great war. it still stands with the damage it received during the battle. this is one tank that noone will ever get there hands on:teeth_smile:

cheers smokey

They call that the "spoils of war" Smokey and you guys should keep it, your countrymen earned it.

-John Wayne