Anyone here watching Le Tour de France races?

There are 141 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 31,157 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Seeing your pictures, I don't think the swirling controversies are going to diminish the popularity of cycling. It seems the sport is trying to govern itself without outside influences having to intervene.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Sally - On our telecast here in the States, during the 20th Stage, they interviewed Eddy Merckx and had some commentary by him.
    They had Lance Armstrong on as well.

That's great.Do you know that Merckx has his own factory now making bikes?My brother owns a Merckx but he's the one who goes racing every sundaymorning :ohmy: if you pretend anything to be a rider you have to have a Merckx LOL

• If they should ever show the Spring Classics on your sports channel try to see some of the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix.They are always in march or april depending when Easter falls.They are 2 following sundays after Easter.We used to go there to see it for real but nowadays we just stay home and stay glued to the screen for a whole day!We don't like it when it's a nice sunny day because it gets too dusty to watch but we love it when there's rain or even better with snow and they get to fall and stuff :ohmy: The keyword to both races is cobblestones...the winner of Paris-Roubaix actually gets a cobblestone as a prize :shades_smile:

• There is a "Tour de California" scheduled for February that Versus announced it would carry. There were a number of other cycling events mentioned in passing during the "Tour de France," but no specifics were given as to dates or coverage.
    As for the coverage of the "Tour," I specially enjoyed Al Trautwig and Bob Roll as commentators as well as Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett.

Thanks for this info Jay. Please keep me informed over the next months in case I forget--which is not difficult these days. :thumbs_up:

I thought those commentators did an excellent job as well. :thumbs_up:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• :thumbs_up: Hey, thank you very much Moonshine.S, these are some great photos. I know there is controversey about Floyd Landis, do you have any pics of him? As well, do you have any from the two big crashes during from the 07 races?

Also, in one of your other photos, I noticed a guy in the light blue jersey. Was that Vinokouov? sure looks like him to me. :wink:

• Sally and Carl - You like to see them fall and want photos of the crashes, eh.:wink_smile: You folks would have really liked the action in the Roman Coliseum in its heyday. :lamo: Yeah, there is a certain perverse attraction to these happenings, just like we like to see the hits in football and crashes in auto racing. Of course, we always hope no one is hurt when these things happen.

"Not hardly!!!"

• :thumbs_up: Hey, thank you very much Moonshine.S, these are some great photos. I know there is controversey about Floyd Landis, do you have any pics of him? As well, do you have any from the two big crashes during from the 07 races?

Also, in one of your other photos, I noticed a guy in the light blue jersey. Was that Vinokouov? sure looks like him to me. :wink:

Floyd Landis :glare: but I'll have a look to see what I have.

It looks like Vinokourov in that picture.Here's one that is similar but Vinokourov out front.

• George Hincapie took a nasty fall the other year during the Paris-Roubaix.He broke his steeringwheel(don't know the proper english word so excuse me) and broke his hip.Here are a few pics.And Jay I do not like to see them fall and break anything in the process or even worse get killed.But no matter what,the falling is part of Paris-Roubaix and The Tour of Flanders.I'll also put a picture down of a view of the Carrefour de Wallers.It is not constant like that but of the nearly 300 kms they ride that day at least half is cobblestones.Don't ask me where they find them because they are ancient history these days!

• Sally and Carl - You like to see them fall and want photos of the crashes, eh.:wink_smile: You folks would have really liked the action in the Roman Coliseum in its heyday. :lamo: Yeah, there is a certain perverse attraction to these happenings, just like we like to see the hits in football and crashes in auto racing. Of course, we always hope no one is hurt when these things happen.

Hi Jay, it's like that song: "I Like Kung Fu Fighting, it's so exciting," to see some drama as well. I never got to see them when they actually happened. I do remember seeing Vinokourov riding along proudly showing off his (ahem) Strawberries (aka) Road Rash; from an accident. :ohmy:

• Here's Floyd Landis for you Ringo :teeth_smile:

Hi Sally, many thanks. I wonder if he will ever do another TdF? Same for Rasmussen and Vinokourov. I heard that Vinokourov can't be in another TdF for between 4-6 years--which is probably the end of his career. Darn shame about the athletes that tried to cheat. :martini_shaken:

• Thanks for the Hincapi pic. :thumbs_up: I had not known he broke some bones in an earlier race? I think he did an awsome job of riding in this years TdF.

Speaking of Cobblestone streets. I walked on some in several German cities--and it hurt my feet to no end. I was wearing a nice new pair of tennis shoes when I vacationed there. The worst I recall walking on were in Lubeck and Goslar, Germany. BTW, I loved both cities and had a great time in each. :martini_shaken:

• I've been to the "After-Tour derny criterium" in Antwerp on wednesdayevening.great afternoon end evening but not so yesterdaymorning when I had to go to work.Here are a few pics so you get to see what it is like :teeth_smile:

This is the presentation of the riders.

• The riders have to follow the blokes on the little motor/bycicle machines.They look rather ridicilous but they go immensely fast.They have to ride 3 times and each time they make more tours.The streets are very narrow,cobblestones and you really should see it to understand what fun it is to watch :wink_smile: Gert Steegmans won this year.Too bad Robbie McEwen couldn't make it this year ah well maybe next year again...