Any (American) football fans here?

There are 544 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 142,998 times. The latest Post () was by Rooster52.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Old Joe has always been one of my favorite coaches as I've never read of a breath of scandal about his team or any of its' players. His character is on a par with that of the Duke, a trait that is rare in big-time college football.

The school did have it's issues about 11 years ago when they had losing seasons for about 3 years. They thought Joe Pa has lost the ability to coach. Little did they known.
    He let a few players play who had gotten into trouble. It changed the face of the team and took about 3 good recruiting classes to get the bad attitude out of them.
    Since then they have been playing Joe Pa football as usual.

• Yes it would be good to see Joe win it all.

The Cowboys were 1 mistake away from beating Texas Saturday. But that said I think Texas has the best QB anyone has seen in a long time and we did better than I thought we would. It's going to be interesting to see how Texas does against Tech.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• The Cowboys were 1 mistake away from beating Texas Saturday. But we did better than I thought we would.

I would have given anything to have seen the Cowboys beat 'em. They played a heckuva game, that's for sure.

It's going to be interesting to see how Texas does against Tech.

If they beat Tech, I'll have to admit they are champion material, as much as I hate to say it.

What would make my day is to see the Horns play Penn State for the championship and for State to win it. I just have never liked the Longhorns, for reasons previously stated.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• We had American Football, live here in the UK.
    On Saturday, we had the Chargers V Saints,
    at Wembley Stadium.
    It was a great spectacle, and was a huge success.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

at Wembley Stadium.

Yeah, Rivers and Brees were letting the ball fly that was sure. And LT was running all over the place. Atleast it was a 14-10 low scoring affair, those are boring.

On a side note, look at all the idiots in the NFL that got busted for illegal substances again!! Gees, they will never learn. And 2 of the guys are from the Vikings, and starters to boot!!! I guess there is always next year.......:cry2:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

at Wembley Stadium.

Pro football is okay but for true excitement and spectacle, Keith, you should see a college game between two good teams. After all, the pros are only playing for money but the college kids are playing for honor and school glory. For instance, if you ever get a chance, be sure to watch the Oklahoma-Texas game, which is always played at Dallas during the Texas State Fair. Now that is a game [usually] worth watching.

• After all, the pros are only playing for money but the college kids are playing for honor and school glory.

At div 1 level the talent is so good it is hard to believe many don't take freebies. Bush clearly has and someone is protecting his rearend. Sooner or later too much evidence will come to light and he will get nailed.
    In basketball, look at James, his mom making 40k 'bought' a 74k tricked out Tahoe. That had booster bought all over it.
    No, I think they are investments that people put money into to cash in later.

• At div 1 level the talent is so good it is hard to believe many don't take freebies. Bush clearly has and someone is protecting his rearend. Sooner or later too much evidence will come to light and he will get nailed.

Which Bush? :wink_smile:

You may remember that Stoops had to get rid of his star QB a year ago because he and another player were "employed" at one of those makework, booster-financed jobs at a car dealership in Norman.

I know when Barry Switzer coached at OU, he was very lax about such things and somehow managed to coach there for about 20 years without getting more than a slap on the wrist. I really liked old Barry and his win/loss record was so good that I (and most other OU fans) were willing to overlook many of the rumors about hanky-panky in the program.

To give you an idea of Barry's attitude toward shenanigans, one time when they were headed to the Orange Bowl in Miami, I remember laughing about Barry's advice to the team while they were there. "Just stay out of jail", he told them. :teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

• Switzer and Royal will go down as two coaches that brought out the best in each other and their teams. Did their players get extra dibs, maybe. Both made college football fun.

Osborne at Neb had his issues with players. Now he is in politics, seems coaching isn't that far from being politician now does it.

• Switzer and Royal will go down as two coaches that brought out the best in each other and their teams. Did their players get extra dibs, maybe. Both made college football fun.

Barry and Darrell sure didn't like each other though. I've read that one of the main reasons Darrell retired as the Horn coach was because Barry beat him so much. They had a ferocious rivalry.

Osborne at Neb had his issues with players. Now he is in politics, seems coaching isn't that far from being politician now does it.

I think Tom ran a pretty clean program at Nebraska. I don't remember reading about much hanky-panky in Tom's teams.

I don't think he's any longer a state rep for Nebraska. If I remember correctly, his ambition got the best of him and he decided to try for a Senate seat and got beat. Should have been satisfied with the House seat. Nope, according to this, he ran for governor of Nebraska and got beat. Now he's athletic director for U. of Nebraska.

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• I think Tom ran a pretty clean program at Nebraska. I don't remember reading about much hanky-panky in Tom's teams.

I just have to say one name to remind you. Jason Peters.

The politics issue I was inferring that a coach puts up with so much politics that being a politician isn't that much of a stretch for them to become.

• Pro football is okay but for true excitement and spectacle, Keith, you should see a college game between two good teams. After all, the pros are only playing for money but the college kids are playing for honor and school glory. For instance, if you ever get a chance, be sure to watch the Oklahoma-Texas game, which is always played at Dallas during the Texas State Fair. Now that is a game [usually] worth watching.

Well another game that I hope will be worth watching is the Georgia/Florida game this Saturday on that neutral site in JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA. (sigh)

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Well another game that I hope will be worth watching is the Georgia/Florida game this Saturday on that neutral site in JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA. (sigh)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your Dawgs.

For the first time in awhile, OU will play Nebraska Saturday. The Cornhuskers ain't what they were when Tom Osborne was coaching them. (Thank goodness)

• Have to admit i cant get used to you talking about american football as we call soccer football:wink_smile: I support Heart of Midlothian fc from Edinburgh but have a real soft spot for our local team Queen of the South from Dumfries.In fact i went to Glasgow to watch them in the Scottish Cup Final against Glasgow Rangers where they were just beaten 3-2 a great day out, they ran out of steam in the second half but it was fantastic to see so many doonhamers(club nickname) go to the game.

• Have to admit i cant get used to you talking about american football as we call soccer football:wink_smile:

Scottie, old pard, let's make a deal. You guys over there call soccer soccer and we guys over here will call football football. :wink_smile::teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

• I'll keep my fingers crossed for your Dawgs.

For the first time in awhile, OU will play Nebraska Saturday. The Cornhuskers ain't what they were when Tom Osborne was coaching them. (Thank goodness)

I think you could have crossed your fingers, toes and the line but there was nothing we could have done about that a** whoopin' we toted today. I actually left the house after the first quarter cause I was not gonna be good company as this game was going on. Ah well, there's next year.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Ah well, there's next year.

I've been sayin' that for the past 5 or 6 years. OU kicks butt during the regular season and then gets beat in their bowl game, usually by some team nobody thought could play worth a damn. Sure gets frustrating.

• Tech beat the Longhorns, what a good day in college football. Leach is a good coach and he finally got over the Texas obstacle.
    Should be interesting where in the poll they end up.

• Tech beat the Longhorns, what a good day in college football. Leach is a good coach and he finally got over the Texas obstacle.
    Should be interesting where in the poll they end up.

This is amazing - here I log onto the board ready to send my congratulations to Jay for having the #1 team in college football and then I read your post, Jeff, and it blew my mind.

I watched that game up until Texas made their last touchdown and went ahead by 1 point with less than a minute to play. I figured, oh hell, they've managed to pull it off once again so I turned off the TV and went to bed. Then I wake up this morning, read your post and couldn't believe it. I did a double take. :ohmy:

I've done this before though. You may not remember this but I was watching the Boston College-Miami game and with a minute to play, Miami was ahead so I turned off the TV, figuring they had won. A few minutes later I turned the TV back on to get some other scores and discovered BC had won on the strength of Doug Flutie's last-minute Hail Mary pass. Guess I'm gonna have to start watching games to the bitter end. :teeth_smile:

Oh, BTW Jay, told you it wouldn't last. :laugh::laugh::laugh: