There are 26 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,652 times. The latest Post () was by WaynamoJim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Somebody recently told me that Duke described Clark Gable as an "idiot" and said that acting was the only thing he ever did right.

Does anyone know if this is true, and when he was reported to have said it? I heard that Gable was either considered for, or turned down, Laurence Harvey's role in The Alamo in 1959. Also Howard Hawks apparently wanted to make Hatari with both Gable and Wayne.

• i don't think clark would have offered the role of TRAVIS in THE ALAMO. he would have been a little to old for the part. the real TRAVIS was only twenty six at the time.as for HATARI I never heard of that story.GABLE died in (61).HATARI came out in (62) it could be true.:unsure:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• It would be great if you can get a link to it. Considering the views I have seen of Gable I would have thought that John Wayne and him would have got on quite well.I could see acting in Hatari or even North to Alaska.

Mike

• I've never understood about Hatari, surely Gable would have played the Sean Mercer part so how would Wayne have fitted in? Unless the script was radically changed of course.

• i don't think clark would have offered the role of TRAVIS in THE ALAMO. he would have been a little to old for the part. the real TRAVIS was only twenty six at the time.as for HATARI I never heard of that story.GABLE died in (61).HATARI came out in (62) it could be true.:unsure:

Gable died at the end of 1960, and Hatari was filmed at the end of 1961. I think somebody like Gable would have been good in The Alamo regardless of his age, at least he could have done a convincing American accent unlike Laurence Harvey.

• Hi

There is a new book coming out about Clark Gable its been serialised in one of our Sunday papers I read the first bit but didn't bother with the rest.

Apparently during the war Adolph Hitler was supposed to have put a price on his head if he was ever captured.

The early stuff was a bit salubrious saying that gable in his early days swung both ways to earn money, but so did many of them.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• To be honest Cole you keep digging up these stories which are best based on innuendorumour and fantasy. To my understanding there is no substantial evidence to support your theories and you have never quoted one source of where you gained this information.

We could all write that Actor XYZ had midnight shagging sessions with sheep in The Hollywood Hills while howling at the moon but saying that it doesnt make it true.

I would suggest instead of posting these type of posts all over the place that you open a new thread called Sexual /Racist Innuendo on Off Discussions and back these type of posts up with some kind of evidence rather than bland unsubtantiated statements and then those who are interested or inclined can read and post and those who find the subject tiresome and uninteresting can ignore.

• He also married a number of older women that happened to help his career.

Never was fussed on The Misfits to be honest all thee main cast members had problems and were past their best.

Mike

• Well I agree they were past their best in "The Misfits", but Gable at least managed to go against type for the first and only time in his career. You could say John Wayne was past his best in "True Grit" and "The Cowboys", since he was over 60 and had health problems, yet he still managed to turn in two superb performances.

• Hi

If you look at John Ford's Mogambo which was remake of Red Dust i would imagine its possible to see Clark Gable in the Sean Mercer role in Hatarari, but then as everyone says where would Duke have fitted in.

For the Alamo possible the Sam Houston role. But again Richard Boone did it quite well.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I only rate Gable in Gone with The Wind (wonder what Flynn would have been like in that role?) and Mutiny on the Bounty plus the one he made with Spencer Tracy and were rival oil explorers. The rest am afraid fall into the "frankly my dear I dont give a damn" category.

Mike

• Flynn would have been superb as Ashley Wilkes, unlike the too old and unattractive Leslie Howard. Gable was pretty bad in "Mutiony on the Bounty", playing Christian with an American accent. Then again, it's no wonder since he absolutely hated both Charles Laughton and Franchot Tone.

Still, Gable was truly the greatest movie star of all time and has still sold more tickets than any other.

• If Flynn had been Ashley Wilkes there would have been no need for Rhett Butler and the movie would have been much shorter.

Still, Gable was truly the greatest movie star of all time and has still sold more tickets than any other.

Says who Louis B Mayer!!! I think you have been reading too many MGM handouts. What is your source for this info?

Mike

• Oh I don't know, Flynn was a handsome man but he didn't have the King's screen presence or charisma.

Clark Gable has sold the most movie tickets, followed by Duke and Bing Crosby. "Gone with the Wind" is still the most successful film in that respect.

• Any link to this great source. At least Duke's popularity still remains. I would doubt anyone under 30 could tell you who Gable and Crosby were.

Mike

To be honest Mike I doubt if many people under the age of 30 know who John Wayne was. Last year I was speaking to some teenage girls and they had absolutely no idea who I meant when I mentioned his name. My own best friend at school had never heard of him until we watched "The Searchers" one Christmas.