Open Range

There are 51 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 15,637 times. The latest Post () was by B5Erik.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Open Range released on DVD, January 20, 2004.

Cast (in credits order)
    Robert Duvall .... Boss Spearman
    Kevin Costner .... Charley Waite
    Annette Bening .... Sue Barlow
    Michael Gambon .... Denton Baxter
    Michael Jeter .... Percy
    Diego Luna .... Button
    James Russo .... Sheriff Poole
    Abraham Benrubi .... Mose
    Dean McDermott .... Doc Barlow
    Kim Coates .... Butler
    Herb Kohler .... Cafe Man
    Peter MacNeill .... Mack
    Cliff Saunders .... Ralph
    Patricia Stutz .... Ralph's Wife (as Pat Stutz)
    Julian Richings .... Wylie
    Ian Tracey .... Tom
    Rod Wilson .... Gus
    Diego Del Mar .... Ballester
    Patricia Benedict .... Cafe Woman
    Tim Koetting .... Bartender Bill
    Tom Carey .... Ray
    Kurtis Sanheim .... Cory
    Billy Morton .... Junior
    Alex Zahara .... Chet
    Chad Camilleri .... Ace
    Greg Schlosser .... Pete
    Guy Bews .... Roy
    Lorette Clow .... Mack's Wife
    Alexis Cerkiewicz .... Mack's Daughter

Get your copy. One of the best westerns of 2003.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I saw this with my wife when it came out in the Theaters and I said back then this was a great movie. I will be buying the DVD, also my wife and I our huge Costner fans, if thats a fault oh well. I would like to see Wyatt Earp on DVD, that was a good movie as well.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I also saw that movie in the theatre with my wife. Seeing it on the big screen was well worth it! I will buy it on DVD, because I want to encourage Hollywood to make more movies like that (although I have been known to wait awhile for the price to come down a little - it must be the Scottish blood in me :rolleyes: ).

Chester :newyear:

• it's nice to know that this movie is going to be released in jan 2004 in your zone so now i have 3 -6 month wait for it to be released down under :( , hope you enjoy your movie (not a happy camper) could say more but will bite my lip and wait to get this for myself just hope it doesn't cost more than A$30 or like you chester i will be tighter than a fishes bottom in water and will wait for it to come down cheaper.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• smokey,

The lowest price I could find is a little over $20us, so I know it's in big demand. That price of course is on-line price at the DVD internet stores. Did you get a chance to see it in theaters? The big screen showed a lot of great scenery. I know it will be disappointing when I get this on the tele. :(

Maybe it will be out very soon. <_<

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo

If you can get to a Best Buy the week it releases, which is always a Tuesday. You should be able to find it below $20. I am guessing around $15-$17 dollars. Try Sales Circular website and it should say what the price is, they usually update about Thursday before the following week. Never buy a DVD on a Sunday or Monday, they are usually at full price. New movies are released on Tuesdays and the sales last till Saturday.

-John Wayne

• hondo,

sorry didn't get to the theater to see it ran out of time and wasn't shown at my local one which is 20 mins from where i live the closest one showing it is about double that time away.

thanks for the heads up on prices but they can only be a guide as we have high costs on all cd's and dvd's here government taxs and such. have seen some new releases taged at A$45 so will bide my time and the price will come down to my price range have paid up to A$30 for a jw movie.

cheers smokey ;)

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Just got my copy today, Friday, January 16, 2004 of Open Range. That's 4 days before the rest of you get yours. DeepDiscountDVD is a great place to buy in the states. And the shipping is free. Looking forward to seeing this movie tonight. This is a two-disc package with a lot of extras. Included is:

"America's Open Range" A historical journey back in time to the real open range of the 1800's, narrated by Kevin Costner.

"Beyond Open Range" Director's Journal - An unprecedented look at Kevin costner's creative journey

Deleted Scenes - With optional commentary by Kevin Costner

"Storyboarding: Open Range"

Music Video Montage

Did I tell you that the shipping is free!

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Damn, all I got in the mail was 2 pairs of jeans from Cabela's and a leather coat from Winchester for buying a new gun, I would have much rather of had the DVD!! hondo did you say that this movie is, or would be disappointing when you see it on your TV? Why is that? Not a good DVD?

Man, I just have too wait till Tuesday. :)

-John Wayne

• SXViper,

What I meant about seeing it a the theater is that you have a much larger screen, and the TV just takes away from the beautiful scenery. I only have a 27" screen, and it just doesn't show a movie like the theater does. But maybe one day I'll get one of those HDTV Widescreen Digital Plasma 64" Screens for my viewing. :lol:

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Oh yeah, I see what you mean now. Last year at about this sametime I picked up a 55 inch Mitsubishi and this past summer I completed the surrond sound for it, My dad asked me why I needed such a big TV and I told him it was because I was not around to see the Duke in most of his movies on the big screen, and I was to young to remember when I did see them, so I just put 1 in my house. I must say, its awesome watching movies.

One thing Hondo, don't make shortcuts when planning a home theater system. You will just not be happy in the end, trust me, I spent more then I shoud have because I didn't buy the right stuff the 1st time. My wife likes to remind me once in awhile :headbonk::headbonk::headbonk:

-John Wayne

• OK, Best buy will be selling Open Range for 17.99 with a special option if you do not own Tombstone to buy them together for 27.99. I don't know Wal-marts price but I will be going to Best Buy to get mine. Oh and 1 more thing, that price is good from Tuesday the 20th thru Saturday the 24th.

-John Wayne

• Kevin himself would be shouting at this offer - having Tombstone on the same bill - since they did Tombstone AFTER he announced he would be doing Wyatt Earp. And then Mr Costner was quiet upset (same thing happened to him when he announced Robin Hood - all of a sudden everybody was doing men-in-tights-films). I guess I'll have to wait for Open Range to hit theaters over here - would like to have my first impression on a movie screen, not a DVD.

• Roland,

That's a great idea! See the movie first at the theaters. The silver screen has more to offer, and the effects are great on big screens. TV just doesn't have what theaters have; especially on my TV.

Have a great viewing, and tell us what you think about it. When is it suppose to show in your area?

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• I am pretty sure that the promotion is by Best Buy and Costner had nothing to do with it. Plus Wyatt Earp is not out on DVD yet. I already have Tombstone so its no big deal to me. I enjoyed both movies. At times they are both more Hollywood then anything but, I think the one liners really seem to stand out more in Tombstone. Wyatt Earp was filmed with the idea of I believe, the thought of being taken more seriously and that seems to be its major downfall.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Jan 17 2004, 10:07 AM
    But maybe one day I'll get one of those HDTV Widescreen Digital Plasma 64" Screens for my viewing.

Hondo,

Yeah, after a few years, the price will come down and be affordable.

We bought our 27" TV about 18 years ago, and paid over $1000. That was a huge amount for a TV back then, and it was top of the line. It just gave out recently, so we're thinking of replacing it. It's in our bedroom now (the big screen TV in our living room - 42" (small by today's standards) - came from our rental house, which we don't own any longer - another story for another day).

Anyway . . . since there is a limited space in the bedroom, we'll stay with the 27", but now we can get that with a built-in VCR and DVD player, for under $500 (under $400 with the coupon at Costco in a few weeks). See what I mean about the price coming down?

I've been eyeballing those big screens at Costco, and even there, you're lookin' at 5 grand - way more than I can spend.

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Mar 25 2004, 07:35 AM
    They're making a big thing of Open Range over here. I'll wait until it comes out on dvd at Blockbusters and then see.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur,

Though you posted the above in a different place on the board, it seemed that one was getting off topic, so I thought I'd respond to you here.

I must echo some of the sentiments voiced in previous posts - I would encourage you to see Open Range on the big screen. It has some spectacular scenery that just won't be the same on a TV screen. The Mrs. and I don't go out to the movies very often, but that movie was well worth it!