Open Range

There are 51 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 15,640 times. The latest Post () was by B5Erik.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Chester

Thanks for that I will probably do as you advise we've got a warner complex down in the harbour and the films always show pretty good, and for me what is more important you can hear the sound superbly.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Let me tell you Arthur, the sound is superb. The sound on the dvd is awesome as well. You will enjoy the movie.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Open Range is a great movie. Dispite Costner who cannot interivew, he is a very good actor and I would guess director and producer. He needs to stay in that field and stay out of everything else. I just saw him in Field of Dreams and Dragonfly. He makes good movies. I can't take that away from him.

Go see the movie at your local movie house, all of you across the pond. You'll really love this movie as a great American western. Even Duke would be proud of that movie.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Just rented the DVD of Open Range, and it is a MUST for our library. (Okay, I'm slow.) Off to Evilbay I went, and found that there are two different versions. One cover shows individual faces, the other shows someone standing in the shadow of a doorway. What gives? Anyone know?

Grant

• As far as I know there is only 1 version of the DVD, and thats a widescreen version with the faces of Kevin, Robert, and Annette. The pitcure of Kevin standing in the door is from one of the movie posters, which I have framed. If some other distributor is using that picture as a dvd cover I have not seen it yet.

-John Wayne

• Now, now Kevin! I have a lot of problems with the guy, but he does put out some good pictures. He just needs to keep his mouth shut and stop expressing his opinions. And most of all, stop acting like he is the only person in the world that thinks he can do it better than any one.

He did make a comment about Duke and his terrible acting and the corney westerns from the past, so what? Costner couldn't hold a candle with any of those people from the golden past. He just needs to stay where he is and keep on doing what he does. I bet in 40 or 50 years, he won't even be known as a classic actor. And he sure won't be in the top ten actors of the year, like Duke has been 24 years after his death. :)

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Not to keep this subject rolling along to much but I echo Hondo's comments. The movies that I liked him in allot are Silverado, No Way Out, Field of Dreams, Wyatt Earp, Robin Hood(yeah I know it was over the top at times, but I still liked it), The Postman, For Love of The Game, Tin Cup and Open Range. He does have his faults and I can for the most part over look them. But don't let your dislike of Costner deter you from watching a really good western. Seeing Duvall's performance is well worth a rental fee.

-John Wayne

• I saw Open Range last night and can say I enjoyed it.
    It was a little too long, the scenery was fantastic, the shoot out was worth waiting for, and in my opinion, Robert Duval stole the movie he just lit up every scene he was in.
    We should thank Costner, for I believe he really loves the genre, that's why this movie is too long, I guess he just doesn't want to stop!
    On the whole, I think it is a good spring board for more Westerns.
    I am looking forward to seeing the new Alamo movie.
    Bronco Lane

Bronco Lane

• broncolane,

Duvall made that movie successful. I don't think anyone can do any better. I give credit to Costner for doing this film, and getting Duvall, but he could have stayed out of and found someone else to play the part like Tom Sellack, or Randy Quaid. Anyway, it was a good movie and hopefully we'll get more westerns soon.

And I will not count The Alamo (2004). It has not been given good reivews. No character stands out as a hero, and they seem to keep out of the leadership role. That's according to a local reviewer.

Need to get more westerns out there.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• Yeah I agree on The Alamo probably being a flop!! For god sake's, how can Billy Bob being playing a character like Davey Crockett? Thats just wrong if you ask me, wrong, wrong, wrong!!! :angry::angry:

-John Wayne

• I LOVED Open Range! It was a great movie, not just a great western.

I rented it a couple of months ago, and I'm looking to buy it when I can find it for under $15.

I thought it was well written, well acted (VERY well acted) and Costner did a great job directing it. Even people who dislike Kevin Costner will like this one if they like westerns at all. I'm betting this one goes down as one of the all time classic westerns in years to come.

And I'm really disappointed at the revisionist/deconstructionist history of the new Alamo movie. I was listening to a radio talk show the other night and a historian was on saying how the new movie was more historically accurate than John Wayne's version, but that they made Davy Crockett wimpier than he actually was (after all, the guy was a bear hunter, congressman, etc). I'm gonna skip this one.