Home Computer 1954

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,395 times. The latest Post () was by H.sanada.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, so much for scientific predictions. If I were gonna be around in another 58 years, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that today's global-warming "experts" were just as wrong. :wink:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• One of the very first computers I worked on was one that took up a small, temperature-controlled room. I was in another room with a monitor (monochrome, of course), and a keyboard. I was entering names and addresses for a mailing list and mailing labels.

Wait . . . I take that back . . . I took a computer class in college - Fortran. We had to draw up flow charts first, then type in the different cards and then feed them into a machine (the computer) which read the cards and printed out something at the end. Once you used the cards, they had no other use, although some crafty people figured out how to fold them a special way (into a cone on the end), fasten them to a styrofoam ring, and spray paint the whole thing with gold . . . yuk!! :vomit: Here's a picture of some window blinds someone made with old computer punch cards - yikes!

All I can say is . . . computers have come a lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ong way!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• About 40 years ago,I learned FORTRAN & COBOL too.(but,i already had forgotten all)
    at first, we used IBM punching cards,then open reel tapes.
    As concerns computer,i like a now computer.

Regards,
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~