General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,161,101 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• He also appeared in the title role of Disney's Dr.Syn alias The Scarecrow of
    Romney Marsh.This is a great movie for those of you who haven't seen it.

Avenger,

I just purchased that DVD series and until you mentioned that I didn't know Patrick was in that Disney series. Or maybe forgotton. Thanks.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• To my mind, two major actors are now gone!
    Montaban was a consumate actor. He made a short-lived TV series here in San Antonio in the 90s (don't remember the name) in which he played an angel. I recall that he broke a leg many years ago which never healed properly and gave him a pronounce limp.
    McGoohan was famous for "The Prisoner" series which caused a lot of discussion, but I also remember him in one of my favorite movies, "Ice Station Zebra," where he played the British spy in one of his over-the-top, but still excellent and memorable, performances.
    Both will be sorely missed!!! R.I.P.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

The Prisoner was required watching for fans during the early 60s every sunday night you would seeit and wonder what the hell it was all about.
    But ice Station Zebra was a good film as was Dr Syn.
    He was a good actor.

Ricardo Montalban The Train Robbers, Fantasy Island and many others.

Also yesterday the author John Mortimore and ex barristor who wrote the popular television series Rumpole of the Bailey.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi
    . . . . . . . Also yesterday the author John Mortimore and ex barristor who wrote the popular television series Rumpole of the Bailey.

Regards

Arthur

Could you tell us a little more about Mortimore? I am sure we would be interested in him.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I used to watch the tv series Rumpole, Of The Bailey with the great Leo McKern. Didn't watch it all the time, just once in awhile on our local PBS channel. It was pretty good. And McKerns acting was first rate.

• Hi Mike

'As the creator of the much loved Hirace Rumpole and an award winning TV version of Brideshead revisited Sir John Mortimore was one of the 20th Century's most popular authors.
    But he also had a hugely successful day job as a barrister. He fought several high profile censorship battles including the Lady Chatterleys Lover obsenity case in 1960 and the Oz magazine trial in 1971.
    He was educated at Harrow and Oxford before being called to the bar in 1948.
    After graduating he got a job at Pinewood studios as a scripwriter, and wrote propaganda documentaries during the Second World War.'

Rumple had a screen wife Hilda, whom he referred to as she that must be obeyed but she never appeared on screen. Rumple of the Bailey played brilliantly by Leo Mckern was a little fat crusty figure always willing to take on the establishment and it made for great entertainment.

RIP Sir John

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• And speaking of Ricardo Montalban, HDNet Movies is showing The Dukes The Train Robbers and I nearly forgot that Montalban had a pretty good role in that one. Didn't have much dialogue but, he was key near the end of the movie.

• RIP! I loved his part as King Edward I in Braveheart!

• Hi

Very sad I liked Phil Carey and was watching one of his films The Great Sioux Massacre last week on television.

he appeared in many fine films -Operation Pacific, Calamity Jane and The Thin Grey Line to name only a couple. We never get to see many of your daytime shows over here so all of those shows are unknown to us.

But another fine actor gone.

R.I.P. Phil

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

At one stage John Ford took an interest in his career and it was suggested that Phillip Carey would become a member of Ford's 'stock company' and his first of many roles would be in 'The Long Grey Line'. However during filming Carey absented himself without leave one night and as was Ford's way he never worked for him again.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low