General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,163,591 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Why someone with his talent would take that path is amazing to me.
    Teaching beginners how to play the guitar, would be more satisfying than that.

Chester :newyear:

I always despair, at the endless and seemingly needless
    ending of talented lives.
    I still find it totally selfish, that they inflict such obvious misery
    on their loved ones.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Why someone with his talent would take that path is amazing to me.
    Teaching beginners how to play the guitar, would be more satisfying than that.

Chester :newyear:

If I understand what I read/heard, Bob Welch was going through recent health issues that led to the suicide. I don't know what that was, but a source in a local Nashville news website reported that. He seem to have a lot of hard luck in his life over the past three decades, and just had enough. And though I am not condoning his suicide, I just wanted to put this in through porper perspected. He was definately a wasted talent that could have contributed more to society. May he finally rest in peace.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Bob Welch's Suicide Note: He Didn't Want to Burden Wife

Fearing that spinal surgery would leave him an invalid needing constant care, Bob Welch told his wife in a suicide note: "I'm not going to do this to you," according to a friend.

The body of the former Fleetwood Mac member and successful solo artist was found in his Nashville home Thursday by his wife Wendy. The musician, 65, had shot himself in the chest, police say.

Family friend Bart Herbison, executive director of the National Songwriters Association, says Welch underwent spinal surgery about three months ago, The Tennessean reports.

"It had become apparent to Bob that he was not going to recover, that he was going to become an invalid," Herbison says. "He had seen his father become an invalid and watched his mother care for him for many years."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20602623,00.html

• i really like that show also. it was so said when bob crane was killed we are sure losing alot of good stars and signers

• He was so good as Sam Drucker on Green Acres (142 episodes) and Petticoat Junction (165 episodes) as well as guest appearances on The Beverly Hillibillies (10 episodes). Thought he was the best general store manager in the world. And though we haven't seen him in over 22 years, just knowing that he now gone, he will be missed.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• He was so good as Sam Drucker on Green Acres (142 episodes) and Petticoat Junction (165 episodes) as well as guest appearances on The Beverly Hillibillies (10 episodes). Thought he was the best general store manager in the world. And though we haven't seen him in over 22 years, just knowing that he now gone, he will be missed.

Not to mention that he played Doc, Ozzie and Harriets family doctor on their show for a number of years.

• 'Gone With the Wind' Actress Ann Rutherford Dead at 94

Ann Rutherford, the sweet-faced MGM starlet who achieved immortality as Scarlett O'Hara's sister Carreen in Gone with the Wind, died Monday evening in her Beverly Hills home, reports the Los Angeles Times. She was 94.

The actress, who also made her mark opposite Mickey Rooney when she played Andy Hardy's girlfriend Polly Benedict in that all-American boy series in the late '30s, had been in declining health with heart problems, according to the newspaper.

Born in Vancouver to a singer father and a silent-film actress, Rutherford moved with her family to Los Angeles when she was nine, and as a teen figured out that if she became a radio actress she could get out of school. So she became a radio actress.

Her first movie role – eventually she did more than 60 – was in the low-budget 1935 Waterfront Lady. She then made Westerns with a very young John Wayne as well as Gene Autry, which led to her being signed by the prestigious MGM.

After she began appearing in the Andy Hardy series, studio head Louis B. Mayer tried to prevent her from being in Gone with the Wind (which was being produced by his son in law, David O. Selznick), because he thought Carreen, who was Scarlett's understanding little sister, was "a nothing part," Rutherford said in later interviews.

But she prevailed upon the boss, and, as the Times quotes her as saying in 2009, during a 70th anniversary showing of arguably the most beloved movie of all time, "That 'nothing part' turned my golden years into platinum."

Her death leaves only one major star still alive from that 1939 box-office blockbuster: Olivia de Havilland, who played Melanie. The two-time Oscar winner lives in Paris and will turn 96 on July 1.

Married twice, including to Batman TV producer William Dozier, who died in 1991, Rutherford is survived by a daughter and two grandsons.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20603279,00.html

Edited once, last by may2 ().

• 'Gone With the Wind' Actress Ann Rutherford Dead at 94

RIP Ann.
    Here is our dedicated thread,
    Pals of the Saddle- Ann Rutherford
    on which I will also copy the posts relating to her passing.

Here is our first post on that thread

For those members, who are interested in co-stars of the older movies,
    Ann Rutherford made just 3 early REPUBLIC films, one after another, with Duke.
    In each of these, she was his love interest.

The Lonely Trail -(1936) .... Virginia Terry
    The Lawless Nineties - (1936) .... Janet Carter
    The Oregon Trail -(1936) .... Anne Ridgeley

She was a leading lady in the fabled Westerns with two legends
    --John Wayne and Gene Autry.
    By the time Ann was seventeen, she signed a deal with MGM, where she would gain the status of superstar for her portrayal of Polly Benedict,
    in the popular Andy Hardy series with Mickey Rooney.
    She also played Careen O'Hara, Scarlet's little sister, in GONE WITH THE WIND.
    Plenty of fans of the Andy Hardy series went to see it, just for Ann herself.
    Until her passing she enjoyed her retirement, and was still deluged with fan mail.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().