General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,162,004 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Also, Earl Weaver, the temperamental long time former manager of the Baltimore Orioles, died this morning while on a cruise with his wife.

He was 82.

Being a Baltimore born and raised man myself, this truly was a sad thing to hear. Earl Weaver was beloved by anyone (except Umpires) who followed the Baltimore Orioles from the 60's through the eighties. While at the helm, his teams finished with 90 or more wins in 12 of the 15 seasons from 1968 to 1982. They won 100 or more games 4 times and went to 4 World Series. The Orioles, this past season, had statues of their 6 members of the Hall of Fame erected at Oriole Park At Camden Yards, Earl's being one of them. I am glad he lived long enough to see that happen and to know he is still loved here in Baltimore. He passed away on a cruise with his wife while part of an Oriole function, so you can say he passed doing what he loved. He was known as "The Earl of Baltimore" and he will be missed.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Actress Merry Anders - I had a HUGE crush on this lady, and I just found this out. She's been a widow since the 1990s, perhaps she had no children or close relatives who could put out an obit. She passed away on October 28, 2012 in California.

Always a favorite from childhood, Merry Anders had been in some of my favorite B movies of the 50s. Here she is from POLICE DOG (it is a pretty rotten movie, but watching her and the German Shepherd dog makes if fun). She was almost a regular it seemed on Dragnet in the 60s.

Edited once, last by alamo221 ().

• Oh WOW! Earl Weaver has passed? I thought he passed away years ago, he was so old years ago when he retired. But so sorry to hear. Had a great career as Manager. Thought he was older than 82. Just a little older than my dad (may he rest in peace). R.I.P. Coach!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Oh WOW! Earl Weaver has passed? I thought he passed away years ago, he was so old years ago when he retired. But so sorry to hear. Had a great career as Manager. Thought he was older than 82. Just a little older than my dad (may he rest in peace). R.I.P. Coach!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Here's a picture of him this past summer when they were unveiling one of the Oriole Hall of Fame statues at Camden Yards. From left is Cal Ripken Jr, Eddie Murray, Earl Weaver, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson and Jim Palmer. All these men played under most of Earl's Years as manager. They made him great as well as vice versa.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Here's a picture of him this past summer when they were unveiling one of the Oriole Hall of Fame statues at Camden Yards. From left is Cal Ripken Jr, Eddie Murray, Earl Weaver, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson and Jim Palmer. All these men played under most of Earl's Years as manager. They made him great as well as vice versa.

Mark

The only two in that group I would not have recognized immediately are Earl and Brooks. The rest look just like older versions of my baseball cards. I would have figured out Earl and Brooks by the company they keep.

It was somehow nice to hear that Earl was on an Orioles promotionnal cruise when he passed. He was still loved by the fans,

• Rest in Peace all and I am a big fan of some of Michael Winners movies especially including: Hannible Brooks and the Death Wish movies.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• MARLA ENGLISH, ‘FAIREST OF THE FAIR’ AND ACTRESS, DEAD AT 77

By Caroline Dipping12:01 a.m.Jan. 12, 2013Updated6:19 p.m.Jan. 11, 2013

Marla English, 1950’s. (Photo by Film Favorites/Getty Images)

Not long after a 16-year-old Marla English was crowned the Del Mar Fair’s youngest Fairest of the Fair in 1951, Hollywood came calling. Signed to a seven-year contract with Paramount Studios and earning $150 a week, the raven-haired beauty appeared in several B-movies including “Living It Up,” “Shield for Murder” and “Hell’s Horizon.”
    Three years into her career, Ms. English was poised for stardom when she was cast opposite Spencer Tracy in a movie set in the French Alps. She walked away from the project, marrying prominent San Diego businessman A. Paul Sutherland a short time later and living the rest of her life as a virtual recluse.
    “She was to have been Paramount Studio’s answer to Elizabeth Taylor,” said her son Stephen Sutherland. “Her star was rising and as things were really going for her, she bailed out. Her desire was to marry and have children.”
    Ms. English died of cancer on Dec. 10 in Tucson, Ariz. She was 77.
    Her earlier films also included “Desert Sands,” “Three Bad Sisters” and “Strange Adventure.” Toward the end of her Hollywood days, she acted mainly in such horror films as “The She Creature” in 1956 and her last film, “Voodoo Woman,” in 1957.
    “She was the beautiful screamer,” Sutherland said of his mother’s work in the horror genre.
    Marleine Gaile English was born Jan. 4, 1935 in San Diego, the only child of Arthur and Bertha English. She graduated from Hoover High School.
    She was 20 when she was cast with Tracy in “The Mountain.” Before leaving for Europe to film on location, Ms. English fell ill from a smallpox vaccination and pulled out of the movie, prompting Paramount to suspend her and replace her with Barbara Darrow.
    In 1967, Ms. English left San Diego with her family to lead a more private life away from autograph seekers and interviews. After living for several years on a ranch in rural northern Nevada, she ultimately settled with her husband in Arizona, tending her beloved rose garden and raising animals.
    Ms. English is survived by her husband of 56 years, A. Paul Sutherland of Tucson; daughter Ann Sutherland of San Diego; sons Allen Sutherland of Prescott, Ariz., Stephen Sutherland of Albuquerque, N.M., Tim Sutherland of Tucson, and David Sutherland of Palm Desert; mother Bertha English of San Diego; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

• Sounds like a lady who knew what she wanted and never looked back. Anyone who is married for 56 years is a star in my book. Condolences to her family.