Ike on the way!

There are 39 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,998 times. The latest Post () was by Stumpy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The hurricanes certainly seem more destructive lately (or maybe there's just way more news coverage).

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the global warming crowd (most of whom are leftists) and their cohorts in the MSM (most of whom are also leftists) are promoting the idea that hurricanes have become more destructive because of Bush's refusal to sign the Kyoto treaty. :wink_smile:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I remember the Louisiana Gov. and New Orleans Mayor saying that Katrina was the fault of Bush. I had to do a double take on that one.
    If we had a secret weapon that could do that the terrorists would be swimming.
    Talk about an absurd statement.:stunned:

• "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
    George Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905

Apparently the people in this place forgot 1900.

• Maybe the hardheads will listen next time they're told to evacuate.

I think the news out of that area will only get worse.

My older son and his family live in Jacksonville, which is around 150 miles north of Houston-Galveston. He's told me that after Ike came ashore and swerved north, that it even did a lot of damage in his area, though nothing, of course, compared to the coast.

• I feel bad for the coroners who have to go through all the coffins that came out of the ground who need to identify the bodies. I think the one in the pictures was either Holywood or Hollywood cemetery. Do they leave name tags inside the coffin? Gruesome task needless to say.

"We're talking about damn fools that have built houses on the edge of the sea for as long as man could remember and against every advice anyone has given," A.R. "Babe" Schwartz said.

This person simply speaks their mind. Ahh, no political correctness, a breath of fresh air.

• Kinda makes you wonder how this one remaining structure didn't get washed away, when all else around it is in ruins. Doesn't even look like it's damaged too badly.

• Hi to everyone-Jay, Jim/Sue Princess Cindy and all, part of the reason I haven't posted much here since after Ike is because the internet system is allegedly damaged thanks to Ike.

Starting from Wed-before Ike struck:

Im currently staying temporarily at my Sis and Bro-in-Laws house-because of having to go to post op Drs visits here in Corpus Christi. Anyway, on Wed we were going to stary boarding up the windows on their home as well of the homes of two of my Nephews. Well, we waited and sure enough (and thank God) that the storm veered away. Corpus Christi was on the bullseye for this storm and the entire waterfront areas as well as anything on Mustang and South Padre Islands-would have been wiped clean off-almost as if an Atomic Bomb was dropped on those areas-which also includes Flour Bluff-which is surrounded on all sides by water.

Thursday we put away the wood for the windows but kept careful watch on the weather. Since Wed of that week-I had no access to computers since all Citty buildings were going to be closed till this Monday. Slightly after midnight on Thurs-Fri, one of my Nephews-wives-had a brand spanking new baby Boy-making me a Grand Uncle for the third time ;-))

Meanwhile Friday went by and we did not even have any wind and no rain-just some clouds. Sat afternoon, we found out that one of my Brothers who lives in Houston-lost power for about a day-then it was restored. The only damage he had was part of his fence had been knocked down but was easily repaiable.

The other Brother I have in houston-and the one im going to share rent with, lost power for at least a few days-but I THINK it's now back on in his area? Our house lost several shingles as well as a pine tree in the front yard. Other than that, we got very lucky.

I heard that where Cindy's family is, had lost power and was still w/o power as far as I know. Galveston got wasted as well as BayTown, Sherman and many other small communities. If you want to know what those Cities looked like-just google up some pictures of the aftermath of A-bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki-it looks EXACTLY like that.

I think so far, the death toll is around 57-not including those killed in Haiti, Cuba and Puerto Rico. Those totals are in the low hundreds thankfully.

Anyway, the internet system is messed up here and I don't know when i'll be let on sites or even post.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Kinda makes you wonder how this one remaining structure didn't get washed away, when all else around it is in ruins. Doesn't even look like it's damaged too badly.

One of the news stations had a feature on this. Apparently, the couple that had a home there lost it during Rita's onslaught. They rebuilt the home you see in the picture structurally hurricane resistant. Unfortunately, the damage to the building, especially inside, was extensive and the couple have decided to move out of the area.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• They rebuilt the home you see in the picture structurally hurricane resistant. Unfortunately, the damage to the building, especially inside, was extensive and the couple have decided to move out of the area.

I'm still amazed that the house looks so intact, considering that everything else for apparently miles and miles was totally destroyed.

Here's an interesting portfolio of pictures about the storm. Picture #11 shows the house we're talking about and to use a metaphor that sprang to mind, it looks like not a hair is out of place. :teeth_smile:

Picture #2 shows what a horrendous size that sucker was.

• I Echo Sue's words,
    Jim, it just looks horrendous!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• They are still holding back people from returning to Galveston. Many of those refugees from that area came to San Antonio to stay in the shelters but they desperately want to get back to their homes (or what is left of them) to see what they can salvage.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"