Ike on the way!

There are 39 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,000 times. The latest Post () was by Stumpy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• It looks like Hurricane Ike is heading for the Texas coast taking a bead on Corpus Christi and predicted to come inland through San Antonio. Some of the thinking is that, depending on its strength and direction as well as other factors, we might even get 100 mph winds locally as well as heavy rain. I know we need rain here, but not this way!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Take care Jay and the rest of you Texan's on the board.

Hope you guys come out alright.

One thing to remember, we are in post Katrina era now and things tend to get over blown, like Gustav was. Not to say that it won't happen but let's keep thing's in perspective and not get nuts!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Batten down the hatches, Jay!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

Batten down the hatches is right. The latest forecast says it could strengthen to a Cat 4 by the time it makes landfall, currently projected for Friday night. And with the projected path, I think the drought in Tejas is about to be broken, big time.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• According to the latest prognostications, it looks like Ike is bearing more to the east of us, which will mean we will get less wind but probably still a lot of rain.

"Not hardly!!!"

• Even though it is a Catagory 2 storm, Ike is expected to cause a lot of damage in the Galveston-Houston area as well as the Sabine Pass area, mostly from storm surge. It is already breezy in our locale.

"Not hardly!!!"

• Even though it is a Catagory 2 storm, Ike is expected to cause a lot of damage in the Galveston-Houston area as well as the Sabine Pass area, mostly from storm surge. It is already breezy in our locale.

Ike may cause as much damage in the vicinity of Galveston as the 1900 hurricane. This is a great read about that earlier storm.

• Unfortunately, Galveston got inundated from the storm surge. And the damage in Houston looks considerable.:ohwell: This from a storm that was only Catagory 2. We got a breeze here with NO rain!!!!:glare::stunned:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Of course I am sitting high and dry here in Idaho, but my family in Texas was not so lucky. My son's trailer (had) an additional roof over it and a big awning over the front porch, that was ripped off; pieces of it put through the trampoline. Trees down all over the little circle they live on. His garage is only standing because of the braces he put under it. This morning he was chasing down a neighbors horses that got out when their fence was blown over. One of the horses got it's hoove caught in the chain link fence and it went through the hoove. The owners are out of town. The light company said they will be without electricity for at least 2 weeks and that there are over 4 million people without power. The businesses and schools are all closed. No power, no food, no water....and no job until power is restored.

My mother is on oxygen and I don't know how she will be able to have it without power. I can just imagine the chaos at the Galveston hospital.

I have not heard from Carl since his surgery. He lives in Katy, Texas and I am not sure how that area did in the storm.

This is one reason I no longer live in Texas and I would move my family up here in a second if it was within my power to do so. Living there is like playing Russian roulette. My son said the eye of the storm was 60 miles wide; larger than any ever recorded.

• Thanks Cindyrella,
    for your harrowing update.
    It sounds horrific, and I cannot imagine,
    the devastation that surrounds everyone there.
    I am lucky to live, in a hopefully tranquil climate,
    but I feel for my friends, in Texas.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• there are over 4 million people without power. No power, no food, no water....and no job until power is restored.

Ya know, when you stop and think about it, it's really kinda scary to think of how dependent people in advanced societies have become on electricity and the other amenities we take for granted nowadays.

How did the cave dwellers ever survive? :teeth_smile:

• I can just imagine the chaos at the Galveston hospital.

I taught at hospitals in Houston and Beaumont in 99, and they had twin diesel generators, I can't imagine Galveston not having the same.
    Still they are in a real mess. It's the Lord's day, a good time to remember them in prayer.

• Is it just me, or does it seem like we are having way more trouble from hurricanes, and having them damage or compromise our oil production facilities, in the past few years?

Or maybe when you're paying more than $4 for a gallon of gas ( or in our case, diesel), every little attack on the system is more noticeable.

The hurricanes certainly seem more destructive lately (or maybe there's just way more news coverage). Give me a good old earthquake any day. Much fewer and far between, and they don't seem to be much more destructive or disruptive than the worst hurricane (at least so far . . . ).

It's the Lord's day, a good time to remember them in prayer.

AMEN to that, brother!!

Chester :newyear:

• Of course I am sitting high and dry here in Idaho, but my family in Texas was not so lucky. ...........
    This is one reason I no longer live in Texas and I would move my family up here in a second if it was within my power to do so. Living there is like playing Russian roulette. My son said the eye of the storm was 60 miles wide; larger than any ever recorded.

Sorry to hear about your family getting caught by Ike. From all accounts this was a strange and unusual hurricane. It didn't follow the normal patterns and wasn't supposed to cause so much havoc. The coast is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there with the possibility of hurricanes.

"Not hardly!!!"