Some great auto racing stories . . .

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,871 times. The latest Post () was by Priceless1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• That's a good one Bill! We are not like those "roundy-round" boys going around in circles hunting for the finish line. We know where it is and we just run straight for 1/4 of mile and hope that we "chopped the tree down"! That's drag racing slang for reacting as close to perfect on the "Christmas Tree" starting system used in drag racing so as to turn on the green light rather than the red light resulting in a disqualification! A perfect light shows on the scoreboard during time runs as .000! I've had my share of those but most were in time trials rather than elimiations and have had more than my share of "red lights"! And those were on the drag strip and not down on Canal Street in Nogales, Mexico!:teeth_smile::wink_smile::thumbs_up:

• Even though I just won the first round Saturday night and lost the second round (cause I fell asleep at the light) Duane and I didn't get home until around 3 in the morning! I waited til after noon to call him as I knew it was gonna take a couple of days for him to get back in shape after that late night. Our work proved to be well done as new brakes work well and car was deadly consistent! I dialed a 10.17 the second round and ran 10.174. Now, if I could drive as "talently" as I can "dial" I will someday be a winner, hopefully with Clan Crew Chief Duane there with me!:wink_smile::yeaahh:

• I grew up at the drags. Maple grove, Cecil county, and English Town all is where my Father raced. He went up against Grumpy Jenkins, and Dave Strickler and others and had to quit when they got the factory backing.

Handing him wrenches was what I learned on. He ran a 50 Ford and then a Henry J. My first motor I rebuilt was a flathead, then a 260, a 265, 283 bored 30 over to a 292, and a 327. My favorite motor was a small block 400.

Mustang was my first car I built, then a Cutlass who many made the mistake of calling a Gutlass. Their title in my hands later and I had them crying.:cry2: Loved taking titles from the rich kids.:teeth_smile:

• We will be racing at Speedworld Dragstrip west of Phoenix on Saturday November 1 at a program called "1320X" which is an offshoot of the now famous "Pinks" show on the Speed Channel. I am sure you will see us (Duane & I) on that show when it airs (which we don't know when that will be) as I have a grudge race with a friend of mine scheduled to take place at that event! It will be a daytime event so I should be wide awake this weekend!:wink_smile::shades_smile:

• We will be racing at Speedworld Dragstrip on the west side of Phoenix this Saturday and Duane will be with me! Probably the nearest airport would be Glendale Airport around 115th Avenue and Glendale Avenue. I don't think the Air Force would be too keen on you landing at Luke AFB but then you gotta lotta pull! Duane wasn't doing too good today as his back has been bothering him a lot since the accident and it isn't helping his heart condition any. We will be getting out to the track around 7:30 a.m. on Saturday. If you need Duane to pick you up or something I'm sure we can unhook my pickup from the trailer and he could run in and pick you up. You can call me, if you like, on my cell at 602-790-5653 up till around 10 at night as that is when I go out in the barn and fall in the hay!:hyper::shades_smile:

• Good idea! You know how us old folks are, get to thinking in a straight line and just keep going till we cross the finishline, sometimes not thinking about where we really are! Good move!:shades_smile:

• Well, we didn't win at 1320X but think we will be appearing on Speedvision some time in the future in the grudge race I had with another friend! They interviewed the two of us and they are always interested in talking with those of us with a few wrinkles! It will probably be a couple of months before anything shows up on the Speed Channel!:shades_smile:

• I'll try and do that when Duane gets back in town! We don't like to work on it anymore that is necessary and have tried to make it as "bulletproof" as possible so that we don't have to work on it so much. Regular maintenance is important though! Maybe I can get the wife to take a picture of us as long as our "quarter slots" aren't showing! She avoids watching us work on the car as she hates "hair crack ups" and both of us tend to let our pants droop a little as what we are working on takes priority over keeping our pants pulled up and cinched tight!:thumbs_up::shades_smile: