What was the last book you read or are currently reading?

There are 134 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 31,026 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy. A book about procrastination. My favorite subject, but one I'd like to drop out of and flunk, if you know what I mean.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hunter by James Byron Huggins.
    An illicit medical experiment has gone wrong, and the attempt to combine the recovered DNA of one of our more violent and predatory predecessors with that of modern man has resulted in a creature whose amazing powers of brain and muscle are matched only by its survival instincts. Only a .50 cal Barrett will hurt the creature.

• Still reading Island of Fire but, getting near the end. Lets see if the Germans get to keep Stalingrad-or lose it to the Russians ;-)) Yes, im only kidding ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• i am reading a book for my english class that, for the first time, is actually pretty decent, fahrenheit 451. its about this townt aht doesnt allow any type of book or reading and it was written in the 40's i think and is set in a futuristic time. and the firemen are the ones eho actually set the fires on houses of those who own a book and they also burn all the books they find.
    i am also reading nicholas sparks' book the choice and so far it is grreat also!

• I am currently reading Bushmasters: America's Jungle Warriors of World War II by Anthony Arthur. We have just recently come across a old scrapbook that my grandfather made up and found out he was in the 158th Bushmaster RCT during WW2. He never talked about it while he was alive so I have been doing some research. For interesting story, these guys were in the middle of the south pacific's worse fighting.

And on a side note Bill, they started out as a Arizona National Guard unit.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I am currently reading Bushmasters: America's Jungle Warriors of World War II by Anthony Arthur. We have just recently come across a old scrapbook that my grandfather made up and found out he was in the 158th Bushmaster RCT during WW2. He never talked about it while he was alive so I have been doing some research. For interesting story, these guys were in the middle of the south pacific's worse fighting.

And on a side note Bill, they started out as a Arizona National Guard unit.

That's interesting info, Todd. I've read a lot of military history and this is the first time I've ever heard of that unit. I'll have to do some research - will also try to get hold of the book you're reading.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• That's interesting info, Todd. I've read a lot of military history and this is the first time I've ever heard of that unit. I'll have to do some research - will also try to get hold of the book you're reading.

My grandpa was a heavy machine gunner(.30 cal) in the 6th army, 158th RCT, 43rd Div, Company M(at one time he was with company L). He received a purple heart(with a cluster, was wounded 2 times), CIB(combat infantry badge) Philipphine Liberation medal(with a bronze arrow), plus a couple more ribbons for WW2 victory, good conduct, ect... I don't have his seperatino papers in front of me. I do have the ribbons and purple heart as well.

He fought in New Guinea, Bismark Archipelago, Luzon/Phillipines and was part of the occupation forces in Japan. I have his scrapbook with various photos, boot camp and related photos and info. He trained at Fort Ord and Camp Roberts before being assigned to the 158th Bushmasters RCT. I also have a japanese sword that he took off a dead japanese.

I was always very close to him before I went into the Navy in 1984, he died Dec. 14th, 1986. I never knew any of his story though and I am just now getting the full picture of what he did in WW2. I wish I could have talked to him about it, he might not have talked about it as most vets don't, but it would have been nice to try. From an article that is in the scrapbook from "Yank" magazine he had a paragraph circled and I can see why he decided to not talk about his time in WW2. I am going to try and post the circled article here:

Yank article.jpg

Here is there shoulder patch that they wore as well:

158th patch.jpg

Here are a couple website's that have some info on the 158th RCT :

http://www.bushmasters158.com/

http://bushmaster.vibobgen.com/

-John Wayne

• I'm currently reading a book called Aftermath: The Remnants Of War. It's about battlefields around the world that still yield remnants, both human and man made. For instance, the first chapter deals with the WWl battlefields in France, like Verdun, where as of 1995, more than 12 million unexploded shells, bombs and, grenades are still in the earth and still work their way to the surface and the special crews France uses to clear the fields. Since 1946, they've cleared 18 million artillery shells of various sizes, 10 million grenades, and 600,000 bombs dropped from aircraft. They're taken to a special disposal area on the coast of France and tons and tons are blown up underwater. It's really something else. Those crews risk their lives moving live ordnance that could go off anytime. Some of it has mustard and chlorine gas inside them and very lethal.
    The second chapter deals with The Battle Of Stalingrad where the remains of hundreds of thousands of German soldiers are still buried in mass graves and their bones protrude from the earth much like the shells of Verdun. and now, I'm reading about the nuclear test sites in Nevada and what they yield since all those nuclear bombs were tested years ago. Very interesting book.

• Hi Todd, nice write-up on him. I too never heard of his unit but thanks for the info and such-you more than have my curiosity piqued. I think I need a "small" vacation of sorts from the Eastern Front-so your stuff about the Bushmasters unit is going to be my short "holiday."

I still finishing up on Island of Rife. In May, I plan on buying another Jason Mark title-An Infantryman At Stalingrad and hopefully get a copy of Klaus Patzwall and Veit Scherzers books listing the from between 27,000 to 33,000 Recipients of the German Cross in Gold--Reference book.

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Thanks Carl. It has been fun and enlightening getting to know the history of this unit and my grandpa's time in WW2. There is another book about the Bushmasters that I plan on geting once I am done with the one I mentioned above. It is by Harold Braun and it is called Braun's Battlin' Bastards: The Bushmasters of Company B 1st Batallion, 158th R.C.T. I wish I caould show you guys all that I have from his scrapbook that he made. Very intersting photos and humbling to see what those guys went through.

-John Wayne

• humbling to see what those guys went through.

I cannot but help comparing the caliber of Americans we used to have and those we have now. And as far as I'm concerned, large numbers of our contemporaries don't hold up too well in the comparison.

I cannot fault the job our youngsters have done in Iraq and Afghanistan. I personally think they've looked as good as our boys did in earlier conflicts but what's sad is that there are so few of 'em.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I'm down to the last 200 pages of Lonesome Dove. Great book! I have read McMurtry's entire saga with Captain Gus McRae & Captain Woodrow Call. All were very good books.

After that, I'm starting: Texas Rangers, The First 100 years by Robert Utley. Utley is a great author.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• I've got a buddy who is also a moderator on our Western Forum that is a Western author who I would highly reccommend. His name is Chuck Lewis. He has written approximately (6) Western books. Those of you who like funny Westerns should read The Reprobates- A Hundred-Proof Tale of the West. That book will have you laughing from the first page to the last. I have read all but one of Chuck's books & have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Chuck is also a contributing editor for True West Magazine.

Here is a link to Chuck's website:

http://www.chlbooks.com/western_books.htm

Happy reading all!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

Edited 2 times, last by Duke_Wayne ().

• I cannot but help comparing the caliber of Americans we used to have and those we have now. And as far as I'm concerned, large numbers of our contemporaries don't hold up too well in the comparison.

I cannot fault the job our youngsters have done in Iraq and Afghanistan. I personally think they've looked as good as our boys did in earlier conflicts but what's sad is that there are so few of 'em.

The caliber and also I believe Americans have been getting more and more forgetful of what made this country great. The blood, sweat and tears it took to mold this country into what it is has been forgotten.

-John Wayne

• Unfortunately the psychology of our country changed with the advent of the flower children back in the 60s, throwing ideas completely on the liberal side!
    I know - we're getting (ot)

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I'm currently reading a book called Aftermath: The Remnants Of War. It's about battlefields around the world that still yield remnants, both human and man made. For instance, the first chapter deals with the WWl battlefields in France, like Verdun, where as of 1995, more than 12 million unexploded shells, bombs and, grenades are still in the earth and still work their way to the surface and the special crews France uses to clear the fields. Since 1946, they've cleared 18 million artillery shells of various sizes, 10 million grenades, and 600,000 bombs dropped from aircraft. They're taken to a special disposal area on the coast of France and tons and tons are blown up underwater. It's really something else. Those crews risk their lives moving live ordnance that could go off anytime. Some of it has mustard and chlorine gas inside them and very lethal.
    The second chapter deals with The Battle Of Stalingrad where the remains of hundreds of thousands of German soldiers are still buried in mass graves and their bones protrude from the earth much like the shells of Verdun. and now, I'm reading about the nuclear test sites in Nevada and what they yield since all those nuclear bombs were tested years ago. Very interesting book.

Hi Waynamojim, what you say is absolutely true-about all the stuff still lying about as well as just under the surface. I have a friend in France that has a huge collection of Ordnance and all-kinds of other military artifacts. In fact, not more than about 1/3rd a mile from his home-in a farmer/friends of his property-he just a few months ago, discovered an entire American Fuel truck trailer-still full of fuel. He called the authorities and they came nd removed the fuel. Believe it ot not? the tank is still in excellent condition being an item left forgotten out in the open-since mid to late 1944. His farmer friend never knew it was on his property even though about 30 years ago-he did find a destroyed Americn SHerman tank in some woods on his property. The Sherman is long since gone and in somebodys collection.

A for remains found sticking out of the ground at Stalngrad-tha is true as well as destroyed tanks and other vehicles-ordnance-ID tags, weapons, canteens, crates of unused ammo, tins of food etc. Also still lying on the ground are thousands of German and Soviet Helmets and such. It's frowned upon to take things rom the battlefield-but if you slip the authorities some money-they look the other way.

A good friend of mine who is in the Belgian Army-as a Musician, he and about 9 other buddies rented a motorhome and went to visit the Stalingrad battlefield back about 2003 or so? As they were being searched at the border checkpoint-it was dscovered that they had taken some 22 German and about the same number of Soviet Helmets. They of course were confiscated, these men held for questioning for about 10 hours, and finally released after they gave all their cash away to the authorities.

Another good friend of mine-who lives in London-used to run a Stalingrad Battlefiled tours company-and I ave seen many photographs od German and Russian Armor-artillery and such-in many many areas of the battlefield-which stretched for some 150 or thereabouts-Kilometers.

Just recently another person I know claims to have found an Italian Army Helmet at Stalingrad. There were no Italian Combat Troops there-just a group ofaout 40 odd Italian truckdrivers-who were there for the sole purpos of transporting one of the five German Assault Pioneer Battalions that were sent there for "Special Purpose Duty" in which they were used to try to take and hold the Barrakady Cannon/Tractor Factory as well as the Durzhensky (SP?) and Red October Factories.

Anyway, allegedly he found an Italian Army Helmet there-which would almost be akin to finding a certain drop of water-in an ocean full of the wet stuff. However, it was later proved by me-that his helmet was a standard 1942 produced Russian helmet-which looks EXACTLY like the Italian helmets.

Sorry im off topic but-my main thin was to confirmyour posting about finding things-even corpses-stiking out of the ground. It's that way all over what is or was, the Eastern Front. Vera could even confirm this because she lives in what used to be named Leningrad-formerly St Petersburg-but when "Uncle Joe Steel" died-the City name reverted back to St Petersburg.

Since im involved with several Military History and Militaria sites, I get news of these things being found all over the world-all the time. Cases in point--not too long ago, it was discovered that there were at least 40 complete and intact German tanks buried up to their turrets-on Bulgarias border. The same thing happened a few years ago in Rumania and some other places.

• Thanks Carl. It has been fun and enlightening getting to know the history of this unit and my grandpa's time in WW2. There is another book about the Bushmasters that I plan on geting once I am done with the one I mentioned above. It is by Harold Braun and it is called Braun's Battlin' Bastards: The Bushmasters of Company B 1st Batallion, 158th R.C.T. I wish I caould show you guys all that I have from his scrapbook that he made. Very intersting photos and humbling to see what those guys went through.

H Todd, quite welcome and glad to know about the existance of this unit. Im going to be trying to research them and see what I cna find to post over at ww2f wartradersguild and warrelics.com websites. Those guys will want to know about The Bushmasters.