What was the last book you read or are currently reading?

There are 134 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 30,978 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• H Todd, quite welcome and glad to know about the existance of this unit. Im going to be trying to research them and see what I cna find to post over at ww2f wartradersguild and warrelics.com websites. Those guys will want to know about The Bushmasters.

If anyone has any information that they share let me kow Carl. I am interested in any stories that someone might have concerning the Bushmaster's 158th RCT. Thanks.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• If anyone has any information that they share let me kow Carl. I am interested in any stories that someone might have concerning the Bushmaster's 158th RCT. Thanks.

:thumbs_up: Hi Todd, ill be more than happy to. I can spread the word around a bit to a few guys who are on te site who specialize in the War in the Pacific.

No new books yet but hopefully sometime in May, I can get my hand on Klaus Patzwalls book listing all the DKiG guys-and possibly Werner Haupts excellent trilogy abot the war on the Eastern Front. 1) Army Group North, 2) Army Group Center & 3) Army Group South-respectively.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• So, despite my having half a dozen unread books on my shelf, I marched my behind to the library, got a library card, and checked out Tex and The Last Picture Show.

The Last Picture Show was an alright read - having seen the movie a couple of times, I braced myself for the vulgarity - but it was surprisingly less obvious in the book. And there was a lot of humor in it that I think the film missed, and so much more explanation of the characters' actions that I actually understood bits that I'd been left wondering about. For those unfamiliar with it, it is a self-described "coming of age" story in a small town in Texas. I have begun to realize that anything that has "coming of age" in its description is code for: there is a lot of messing around.....I must have missed that part of my teen years :uhoh:

• Finally finished reading as of yesterday-Jason Marks "Island of Fire." Im now currently awaiting the arrival of one of three pars of Werner Haupts trilogy about the Easten Front. The first one im getting is the one about Army Group North. Following that-will be Army Group South and then finally Army Group Mitte.

• I am still reading my book, Bushmasters: America's Jungle Warriors of WW2. The reason I am telling you this is I want to share a short excerpt from the book that I know most here will find intersting. I used my new scanner/printer so we shall see how it looks. It is a scan of 2 pages. Read the first page then the second, obviously. I just didn't want to have someone read the 2nd page and wreck the surprise. Here it is:

bushb1.jpg

bush1b.jpg

You may have to save the picture and zoom in using a picture utility program if you cannot read it due to the small print.

-John Wayne

• Hi Todd, an updat of sorts for you. I have not been able to log onto the http://www.ww2f.com site for about 10 or so days because the site is moving to a new host-or whateveritscalled? and has been down since then. I will be asking the Pacific War Guys there about this as soon as the site is back up and running. Also, I haven't had a chance to ask the guys over at Warrelics and Wartradersguild-yet but plan on doing so hopefully in a little while.

Best regards--Carl.

PS, a title I think you would enjoy which is still available-was written by a WWII American Officer/Veteran who was living in Corpus Christi untill he passed away a few years ago. I can't remember his entire name but his last name is Eglin-and he wrote a book called: The Fool Lieutenant. This guy fought in various battles against the Germans-ala-the E.T.O (European Theater of Operations)

I met this gent about 15 years ago when he and company used to hold Auctions in Kingsville-once a week those many years ago. Amyway, they quit coming to Kingsville several years ago and only did their actions in Corpus Christi. Anyway, the guy was a nice guy but also quite a character. As far as WWII Vets I have met--this guy is one of my absolute favorite falling a little behind Gents such as Brigarier General David Lee "Tex" Hill (commander of I think the 2nd Flying Tigers Squadron/ later USAAF General) and "Dutch" van Kirk-the Enola Gays-Navigator.

• Carl, not a problem. I will check out his book when I have a chance.

Did you have a chance to read the scan of the 2 pages from the book I am reading now from my previous post?

-John Wayne

• Carl, not a problem. I will check out his book when I have a chance.

Did you have a chance to read the scan of the 2 pages from the book I am reading now from my previous post?

Hi Todd, it's definately a worth see. I know that Barnes and Nobles usually keeps them in stock-I don't know if Borders or others have them or not? but I don't remember it being particularly expensive-much unlike the reference books I like getting. The last one I got was for over $130--which I think included postage from Europe.

I couldn't get the scans to expand to be able to read them-but it's not your fault-im having to resort to using my Brothers laptop for awhile since we don't have internet service at home--still-and he has some sort of program that blocks pop-ups and expanding pictures and such. It'll probably next week sometime before I can got onto another computer ;-))

• Hi Todd, it's definately a worth see. I know that Barnes and Nobles usually keeps them in stock-I don't know if Borders or others have them or not? but I don't remember it being particularly expensive-much unlike the reference books I like getting. The last one I got was for over $130--which I think included postage from Europe.

I couldn't get the scans to expand to be able to read them-but it's not your fault-im having to resort to using my Brothers laptop for awhile since we don't have internet service at home--still-and he has some sort of program that blocks pop-ups and expanding pictures and such. It'll probably next week sometime before I can got onto another computer ;-))

OK, I will see what I can do to get the pictures bigger.

-John Wayne

• a book called "a ragged schooling" by robert roberts ...about growing up in a corner shop in salford manchester in the early 1900s

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• I am reading a literary masterpiece, written by one of the top authors of our time... he will surely be among the great authors such as William Shatner, and Ed Wood.

X-Men: Codename Wolverine, by Christopher Golden. :wink_smile:

Seriously though, it's a fun book all about my favorite X-Man.

Next up, that great literary masterpiece The Death and Life of Superman by Roger Stern.

• Hi Todd, I still have no info from either of the sites I posted info and links about his nit on. I guess even the Pacific War guys aren't aware of their unit? Ill keep digging around though and seeif I can find anyone more knowldgable than I am-and see what they have to say? There is a site I used to belong to which I THINK is called: www.thepacificwar.com that should have some guys more knowledgable than I on it.On that site-if the url is correct? I was known as Manila John-after a US Marine Sergeant who won the Medal of Honor-while fighting on Guadalcanal in 42. Sadly, this Gent was later killed in action I think sometime in 1944-doing more combat duty that he could have opted out of ;( His name & rank was: Sergeant John "Manila John" Basilone. He was in charge of a Machinegun unit and during the fighting on Guadalcanal-all of his men were either wounded or killed-and he earned his MoH because he alone-operated both MGs-all night long making the Japanese Soldiers think that his unit was full-strength. During the night he successfully defended his position alone-also retrieving ammo for the MGs-Grenades for personal defense-and ammo for his .45.

Early morning-he launched a 1-man assault through the Japanese positions killing in total all night and during his assault--somewhere around 100 or so Japanese Soldiers-single-handedly. When he made his assault through a fairly large Japanese position-he was armed only with a few Grenades and his .45-blew and shot his way through them and was numb from combat-and made it to a Marine Mortar position. He only stoppd to rest-and his only request was that someone give him a Peanut-butter & Jelly Sandwich.

Sorry such a long way to tell you about the Pacific War forums--I don't know if it is still around ot not? but if so? someone there will or should, know more about the Bushmasters. I stopped visiting there only because of lack of time ;-))

I bet that most anyone here who reads this post-that they will be shocked that all of my interests in WWII is not just associated with the War in Europe and Eastern Front ;-)) I "Cut-my-teeth" on interests in WWII with the War in the Pacific and the CBI Theaters.

Take careand best regards--Carl.

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• I've been reading "Comanches, the history of a people" by T.R. Fehrenbach. Good reading and highly recommended.

Much of the most vicious warfare between whites and Indians took place in Texas between 1836, when Texas won her independence from Mexico, and the end of the Civil War in 1865. From what I've read, Duke's "The Searchers" paints a pretty accurate picture of conditions prevailing in Texas from 1836, when Texas became a republic, and until the end of the Civil War, when the U.S. was finally able to send in sufficient cavalry troops to quell raiding by the Comanches on the white frontier settlers.

Reading about the infighting between various federal and Texas civilian and military authorities over whose responsibility it was to stop the raiding just confirms my already very low opinion of those in Washington DC. As I've said before, I sure don't understand how this country lasted as long as it did, considering the contemptible class of yahoos who've governed us from the beginning. However, the book paints a very glowing picture of the Texas Rangers, who quickly became very proficient at stopping Indian raiding.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Also crossreferencing stuff im researching with Michael Dorrs book on the Trager der Nahkampfspange in Gold, as well as Jason Marks excellent book: "Island of Fire".