Want List

There are 16 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,230 times. The latest Post () was by FarmerSteve.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I imagine most board participants are like me, in that they have favorite movies and/or TV shows that are not currently available as commercially-released DVDs in their home region. Shown below are items on my "want list". Please feel free to list yours.

Movies

Monte Walsh (1970) - Lee Marvin, Jack Palance
    Shout at the Devil (1976) - Lee Marvin, Roger Moore
    Barbarian and the Geisha, The (1958) - John Wayne, Eiko Ando
    Northwest Passage (1940) - Spencer Tracy, Robert Young
    Rounders, The (1965) - Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda
    Sitting Pretty (1948) - Clifton Webb, Robert Young, Maureen O’Hara
    Fastest Gun Alive, The (1956) - Glenn Ford, Broderick Crawford
    Fool's Parade (1971) - James Stewart, George Kennedy
    Song of the South (1946) - Bobby Driscoll, Luana Patten
    African Queen, The (1951) - Humphrey Bogart, Katharine Hepburn
    Thunder Bay (1953) - James Stewart, Dan Duryea (Is only available in a boxed set)
    Carbine Williams (1952) - James Stewart, Wendell Corey
    Devil's Disciple, The (1959) - Laurence Olivier, Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas
    Mr. Belvedere Goes To College (1949) - Clifton Webb, Shirley Temple, Tom Drake
    Mr. Belvedere Rings the Bell (1951) - Clifton Webb, Joanne Dru, Hugh Marlowe
    Mister 880 (1950) - Burt Lancaster, Edmund Gwenn
    Wells Fargo (1937) - Joel McCrea, Frances Dee, Lloyd Nolan
    Union Pacific (1939) - Joel McCrea, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Preston
    Colorado Territory (1949) - Joel McCrea, Virginia Mayo
    Down to the Sea in Ships (1949) - Richard Widmark, Lionel Barrymore
    W.W. and the Dixie Dance Kings (1975) - Burt Reynolds, Jerry Reed, Art Carney
    Red Skies of Montana (1952) - Richard Widmark, Jeffrey Hunter
    Stars in My Crown (1950) - Joel McCrea, Dean Stockwell
    Stars and Stripes Forever (1952) - Clifton Webb, Ruth Hussey, Robert Wagner
    Dreamboat (1952) - Clifton Webb, Ginger Rogers, Anne Francis
    Take the High Ground (1953) - Richard Widmark, Karl Malden
    Happy Years, The (1950) - Dean Stockwell, Leo G. Carroll
    Northwest Mounted Police (1940) - Gary Cooper, Paulette Goddard
    Beau Geste (1939) - Gary Cooper, Brian Donlevy

Television

High Chaparral, The (1967-1971) - Leif Erickson, Cameron Mitchell
    Police Story (1973-1977) - Various Actors (Inspired by Joseph Wambaugh’s LAPD cop stories)
    Kojak* (1973-1978) - Telly Savalas, Kevin Dobson
    Gunsmoke* (1955-1975) - James Arness, Milburn Stone, Amanda Blake
    Bonanza (1959-1973) - Lorne Green, Michael Landon, Dan Blocker, Pernell Roberts**
    WKRP in Cincinnati* (1978-1982) - Gary Sandy, Howard Hesseman, Loni Anderson

* Only first season released in its’ entirety. Also, “Gunsmoke” has had various episodes released.
    ** No season of “Bonanza” has been released in its’ entirety; only scattered episodes.

I’ve found an online site that sells some of my wanted movies but I’m wary that they’re bootleg copies because they’re shown as “DVD-R in soft covers”.

Over the years, I’ve managed to acquire some films on my want list, thanks to various friends and invention of VHS/DVD recorders, which enabled me to transfer taped movies to disc. However, there are quite a few that I can’t even find tapes for and in any case, I’d like to have the best transfers possible, which can only be done in Hollywood.

I’ll probably think of others from time to time and if so, will add them to the list.

One of my all-time favorite comedies is "Life With Father", starring William Powell, Irene Dunne and Elizabeth Taylor. It's a wonderful film and I have a copy but the quality is terrible. And no one seems interested in turning out a better transfer.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• I was surpised to see "Thunder Bay" not released as a region 1 DVD. It's released as a part of boxed set though. It was recently released as region 2 DVD. I don't know if this counts as an official release, but I have bought several movies from this company and I have never had any complaints about them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunde…dvd&qid=1238021360&sr=8-1

Hi PV,
    Nice to know you're still around. You need to cut back on that workload, my friend. Life's too short to spend all of it working.

I've thought about buying the boxed set just to get "Thunder Bay" but I already have two of the other four films in the set and I'm not sure I'd want the two I don't have.
    Jim

• I've thought about buying the boxed set just to get "Thunder Bay" but I already have two of the other four films in the set and I'm not sure I'd want the two I don't have.

I went into Sams the other day to get some bottled water and while strolling around, happened to pass the DVDs and noticed Jimmy's boxed set for sale at $16. plus change. This was about $3. less than DDDVD or Amazon so I bought it just to get "Thunder Bay", which I haven't seen in at least 40 years. It's not one of Jimmy's best but it's not a bad movie. He and Dan Duryea are trying to bring in an oil well off the Louisiana coast and a town full of Creoles think the drilling is going to spoil their livelihood of shrimp fishing. Gilbert Roland and Joanne Dru are two of the Creoles.
    Jimmy and Dan both fall for a couple of the local gals, one of which is naturally Joanne, which complicates an already messy situation.

• I went into Sams the other day to get some bottled water and while strolling around, happened to pass the DVDs and noticed Jimmy's boxed set for sale at $16. plus change. This was about $3. less than DDDVD or Amazon so I bought it just to get "Thunder Bay", which I haven't seen in at least 40 years. It's not one of Jimmy's best but it's not a bad movie. He and Dan Duryea are trying to bring in an oil well off the Louisiana coast and a town full of Creoles think the drilling is going to spoil their livelihood of shrimp fishing. Gilbert Roland and Joanne Dru are two of the Creoles.
    Jimmy and Dan both fall for a couple of the local gals, one of which is naturally Joanne, which complicates an already messy situation.

I watched that movie about 6-8 month's ago on TCM. You are right, good, but not a great movie.

I also seen Jimmy's western collection movies there at Sam's. Was going to pick it up but figured I would wait on it/

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Gunsmoke* (1955-1975) - James Arness, Milburn Stone, Amanda Blake
    * Only first season released in its’ entirety. Also, “Gunsmoke” has had various episodes released.

They have at least 3 seasons released in their entirety, albeit each season comes in 2 volumes.

• They have at least 3 seasons released in their entirety, albeit each season comes in 2 volumes.

And therein lies the problem - when the greedy so-and-so's release the seasons in "volumes", they charge as much for each volume as I paid for the entire season 1 that was complete in one package. Therefore, I refuse to buy 'em again until they start issuing complete seasons.

• I buy a lot of two movies on one DVDs and if they can make two on one and make money on these old movies, then why cant they make either 2 on more of them or charge half price on older singles. But we all know the answer to that i reckon. I bought a bunch of bananzas 30 episodes i think on a 4 dvds in one deal for 5 bucks, I dont see why gunsmoke would cost more to make. And the Bonanza flicks were of good quality, clear and without glitches.

• And therein lies the problem - when the greedy so-and-so's release the seasons in "volumes", they charge as much for each volume as I paid for the entire season 1 that was complete in one package. Therefore, I refuse to buy 'em again until they start issuing complete seasons.

You know what's interesting? is that the broke the seasons into two volumes to supposedly save the consumer money :yeaahh:. I understand your point all to well, I should have known that's where you were coming from cause I have refused to even consider buying Gunsmoke myself.

• A cheap DVD player that plays all Regions would allow you to mark off Shout at the devil, Barbarian and the Geisha and African Queen. I think Song of the South is unlikely to see the light of day although it does get broadcast on TV over here and did make it to video. I can donate a recorded copy of Fool's Parade I taped if interested.

Mike

I am looking for Operation Daybreak see attached http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075019/.

I did buy a bootleg copy via ebay but print was woeful.

• I watched that movie about 6-8 month's ago on TCM.

That durned TCM has a lot of good movies in their library (including "The Happy Years", a wonderful comedy with Dean Stockwell in his prime) but won't release 'em to DVD. Gripes me to death.

• That durned TCM has a lot of good movies in their library (including "The Happy Years", a wonderful comedy with Dean Stockwell in his prime) but won't release 'em to DVD. Gripes me to death.

Stumpy, check out this link. There appears to be quite a few never-before-released titles, with more coming down the pike every month. I do, however, disagree that $20 a pop for a bare-bones DVD is "a reasonable price." No way should they be any more than 7-8 bucks. They'll probably try to bilk compulsive collectors and impulse buyers the first few months, than lower their prices six months from now.

At any rate, for better or for worse, this appears to be the direction TCM-Warner Bros. is going with future classic DVD releases, so it probably merits keeping an eye on.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Stumpy, check out this link. There appears to be quite a few never-before-released titles, with more coming down the pike every month. I do, however, disagree that $20 a pop for a bare-bones DVD is "a reasonable price." No way should they be any more than 7-8 bucks. They'll probably try to bilk compulsive collectors and impulse buyers the first few months, than lower their prices six months from now.

At any rate, for better or for worse, this appears to be the direction TCM-Warner Bros. is going with future classic DVD releases, so it probably merits keeping an eye on.

Thanks, my friend, I'll sure bookmark it and check it regularly.

• I do, however, disagree that $20 a pop for a bare-bones DVD is "a reasonable price." No way should they be any more than 7-8 bucks.

I certainly agree. I don't see more than 5 or 6 titles in their archive that interest me, even the Westerns, and certainly none for $20. Like you, I wouldn't pay more than 7 or 8 dollars for anything in the archive.

• A few I want on DvD but arent here are:

55 Days At Peking--even though somehow Netflix has is.
    The Savage-another CHarlton Heston great.
    Pillars of the Sky w/ Jeff Chandler and Ward Bond.
    Tha LAst Command w/ Sterling Hayward.
    The Password Is COurage. W/ Dirk Bogarde.
    Ice Cold in Alex w/ Sir John Mills.Dunkirk w/ Sir John Mills.
    The Way To the Stars w/ Sir John Mills.
    Titanic (the 1943 version)
    Counterpoint w/ Charlton Heston.
    Time Limit w/ Richards Widmark and Basehart.
    Prisoner of War w/ Ronald Wilson Reagan and Steve Forrest.
    A Time To Love and a Time To die w/ John Gavin, Lilo Pulver and Jock Mahoney.
    Target Zero w/ Charles Bronson and Richard Conte.
    Escape of the Birdmen w?????
    and bunches of others.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I've always liked 'My Heros Have Always Been Cowboys' starring Scott Glenn, Ben Johnson, and Kate Capshaw.

About an injured rodeo rider dealing with his older father (Johnson) who has bouts with memory loss, fighting with his sister who wants to keep dad in a nursing facility, reuniting with his high school sweetheart, and in the end, wins the comeback competetion, riding the bull who injured him.

Good film! I wish they'd release it on DVD.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• 'My Heros Have Always Been Cowboys' isnt on DVD yet? It used to be on VHS, I got ahold of one of them once and wore it out watching it. hmmm kinda suprising