Who are your favorite singers?

There are 43 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,804 times. The latest Post () was by ringo kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Mine are:

Bing Crosby

Dean Martin

Frank Sinatra

Elvis Presley

Bob Dylan

Barbra Streisand

Madonna

Enya

Christina Aguilera

• You have three on your list who are among my favorites. But they're all dead.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Which ones are your favorites?

Dean Martin
    Frank Sinatra
    Elvis Presley

My musical tastes are catholic, i.e., I like just about every style of music except opera, hard rock and hip hop. But if you're younger than 40 years of age, you've probably never even heard of most of my favorites. Or even the styles. For instance, back in the Fifties, there was a sub-genre of R&B called doo-wop that had numerous singing groups I really liked.

I'm making up a list of my favorites (many of whom are long dead) that I'll post when I finish.

• I'm making up a list of my favorites (many of whom are long dead) that I'll post when I finish.

Here's my all-time list of favorite singers, both individuals and groups. (Oops, I just noticed that I omitted Deano, Frank and Elvis from my list below) Like I said, most of 'em are probably dead. I don't listen to much music anymore because to me, modern music is just noise.

Lavern Baker
    Beach Boys
    Bee Gees
    Tony Bennett
    Brook Benton
    Chuck Berry
    Michael Bolton
    Teresa Brewer
    Glenn Campbell
    Ray Charles
    Eric Clapton
    Petula Clark
    Rosemary Clooney
    Clovers
    Coasters
    Nat King Cole
    Sam Cooke
    Bobby Darin
    Sammy Davis Jr.
    Doris Day
    John Denver
    Celine Dion
    Dion & the Belmonts
    Fats Domino
    Doobie Brothers
    Drifters
    Mama Cass Elliot
    Gloria Estefan & the Miami Sound Machine
    Everly Brothers
    Fifth Dimension
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Four Tops
    Aretha Franklin
    Judy Garland
    Marvin Gaye
    Bobby Goldsboro
    Roy Hamilton
    Dick Haymes
    Johnny Horton
    Joni James
    Tom Jones
    Kitty Kallen
    Gladys Knight & the Pips
    Frankie Laine
    Peggy Lee
    Little Richard
    Dean Martin
    Paul McCartney & Wings
    Clyde McPhatter
    Johnny Mercer
    Guy Mitchell
    Ricky Nelson
    Helen O'Connell
    Osmonds
    Elvis Presley
    Jim Reeves
    Johnny Rivers
    Marty Robbins
    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
    Kenny Rogers
    Frank Sinatra
    Sons of the Pioneers
    Jo Stafford
    Kay Starr
    Temptations
    B.J. Thomas
    Martha Tilton
    Roger Whitaker
    Margaret Whiting
    Jackie Wilson
    Stevie Wonder

Edited 2 times, last by Stumpy ().

• I'm 22 and I know about most legendary singer. I love classics. There are VERY few today stars I like. VERY few.

• I love 40's, 50's and 60's music, too. Singers back then had the greatest voices and music back then was real music.

• These "singers" today have no good vocals and so substance.

Singers back then had THE greatest vocal range.

• These "singers" today have no good vocals and so substance.

Singers back then had THE greatest vocal range.

Well I think there are exceptions to that rule, most notably Michael Buble and Harry Connick Jr. Both have that great crooner voice that Sinatra, Deano, Mel Torme, Bobby Darin and others had, and that Tony Bennet still has. I have a very eclectic taste in music. My favorites are:
    Big Band (especially Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, and Glenn Miller)

Cowboy Music (especially Michael Martin Murphey, Don Edwards, Sons of the Pioneers, Bill Barwick, and Sons of the San Joaquin)

Jazz (soft jazz,especially Diana Krall, Sophie Milheit, Patty Page - wonderful voice, Billy Holiday)

Doo-Wop (especially The Clovers, The Diamonds, Dion and the Belmonts, and oh so many more)

Celtic / Irish Folk Music (especially my friend Jay Graham)

I listen to other things as well, but these are my favorites.

Oh, and I can't forget John Wayne soundtracks! As well as other western film soundtracks (especially the soundtracks for Monte Walsh - starring Tom Selleck, and Tombstone)

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• I don't dislike all the singers of today. Some I like like Madonna, Enya and I love bluegrass and celtic and new age music. I also love techno.

• Here are my favorite instrumentalists and movie composers. Once again, most of these great musicians are long gone.

Count Basie
    Les Baxter
    George Benson
    Elmer Bernstein
    Dorsey Brothers
    Duke Ellington
    Percy Faith
    Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops
    Jerry Goldsmith
    Benny Goodman
    Harry James
    Maurice Jarre
    George Jinda
    Quincy Jones
    Kay Kyser
    James Last
    Henry Mancini
    Annunzio Mantovani
    Ralph Marterie
    Glenn Miller
    Jerome Moross
    Les Paul & Mary Ford
    Mike Post
    Perez Prado
    Daniel Rose
    Miklos Rozsa
    Artie Shaw
    Max Steiner
    Dimitri Tiomkin
    Ventures
    Paul Weston
    John Williams

• Here are my favorite instrumentalists and movie composers. Once again, most of these great musicians are long gone.

Hell Stumpy, they're not really gone. Not as long as we still listen to 'em. And the vast majority of those on your list are resting comfortably on my CD shelf!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.