Books on Duke- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 467 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 221,726 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi,
    I have it. It was the first book about Duke I have read. But I think that the photos are more valuable there when text itself, but anyway it is interesting.
    Regards,
    Senta

Sounds great... I just paid $4.70 for a near mint copy of the book. Can't beat that!

• Well, this is kinda irrelevant(?) but I just wanted to say I haven't read any books specifically about him, but my dad's birthday was in January (loves to read and loves JW) went to Booksamillion and wanted to get him some nice coffee table style books... got one about the maps of the bible, one about WW1 and the last one was the 100 most influencial people (can't remember the exact title). When I picked it up, the first person I looked for was JW and, of course, he was there. Bought it. Wrapped it. Dad opened it - and the first person he looked for was JW!!!! I almost cried!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."

• I just picked up a copy of the book: John Wayne: There Rode A Legend

It is a magnificent book. The forward by Maureen O'Hara and the entire book is just full of photos & info about his career and family. It was brand new and still factory wrapped.

• http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1...e/Product.html

I actually have that book! got for between 10-15 Us Dollars on Ebay, I do believe that the seller has more of those if you are interested.

John Wayne: There Rode A Legend

I've been considering getting that book, but the price has always kept me away. But now it looks like I am gonna to have to do some serious hunting.

• You didn't read my post... I said I've already got the book. And btw... your link is bad. And your becoming a stalker... 9 out of the last 10 posts you have to respond to my post.

• First, off this stuff

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1...e/Product.html

I actually have that book! got for between 10-15 Us Dollars on Ebay, I do believe that the seller has more of those if you are interested.

is in reply to DukePilgrim

and this stuff is in reply to you.

John Wayne: There Rode A Legend

I've been considering getting that book, but the price has always kept me away. But now it looks like I am gonna to have to do some serious hunting.

I should have posted it differently, but I was half asleep at that time, so I was on my way to bed.

• Got John Wayne: There Rode A Legend from Wayne at Birth Center. Cant wait to see it.

Must investigate the other title

Mike

The book originally sold for $75. I got one a few months ago for $45 on eBay, still wrapped and mint condition. It is a very nice book... I keep it in the barrister with my other collectibles.

When I counted I forgot I had two of the one from The Cowboys called "Round-Up". It for sale if anyones interested.

Currently In Possession Two more came in today, so I'm only missing The Green Beret figurine.
    <--- CLICK TO ENLARGE

Only one (The Green Beret) I am searching for!

• I just got word there might be a Green Beret figurine available out there. I suspect it will run about $150. I'm in negotiations. As far as the plates... don't think so. There are so many of them by so many different companies and I'm just not into plates. These figurines look so much nicer than something big and round. I took a photo of each figurine in front of a big JW handkerchief backdrop. Plus there are plates for just about anything but not domed figurines.

• Ive often wondered why they never issued one with John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn.

One on a horse from the confronatation scene in the meadow with Lucky Ned Pepper & gang would have been spectacular.

Mike

• Sometimes these subscription pieces from the Franklin Mint all of a sudden stop due to lack of interest. I'm not sure what order they were done in but I'm betting The Green Beret was last since there are so few around and it is the more rare piece of the whole collection. One of Rooster would have been perfect, sitting on a horse, right hand twirling a rifle and with the eye patch. Now that would have been a figurine.

• Hi,
    At last I bought John Wayne, American and enjoying it greatly. All good words that was said here about the book is absolutly true. May be it is the best Duke biography. Also received A Tribute by Goldstein it happen to be mostly photo tribute, not very ggod printing but nice to see.
    Regards,
    Vera

• DUKE – THE JOHN WAYNE ALBUM, by Boswell & David
    Handsome publication, great print, maybe the nicest of the “tribute” books that came to market in 79, mainly to cash in after JW’s death (I mean, why didn’t they honor him in 1978?)

While visiting my mom in Arizona the past week, the Mrs. was perusing the biography shelves of the library at their mobile home park, and found the above referenced book. It is quite interesting, with many items of trivia and some wonderful pictures. I hadn't seen it before, but after looking at it, decided it was well worth buying. Right now, it's pretty reasonable on Amazon and also on ebay (you could add it to your personal library for less than $10).

I've ordered my own copy!

Chester :newyear:

• Hi DakotaSurfer,
    Thank you for sending this covers. I have only two of these books - JW American and Company of Heroes. Is the Crowley book a new one? Haven't heard about it before.
    Regards,
    Senta